Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:28:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 80
Poll
Question: Are you missing Update right now?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: Update XV: Stuck Inside of Tulsa with the Oklahoma City Blues Again  (Read 186764 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1650 on: July 18, 2014, 12:35:01 PM »

So do you guys talk about the Oklahoma City Thunder? Did you tell them about the Oklahoma City Thunder "gear" that you've purchased?
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1651 on: July 18, 2014, 12:47:48 PM »

We are supposed to role-play for a while today and then maybe listen to other people taking inbound calls.  I'm hoping and expecting the role-play to give me a better idea on how to talk to my customers.  Bottom line, is I have no plans to leave this job.  I can't afford to go through another long, painful job search.

Why can't  you look for a better job now that you have a job?  I'm missing something.

I think it comes down to his confidence - he has none. It was difficult for him to be rejected job after job while his classmates all were hired, so he's given up and thinks that being a telemarketer is going to be a career for him, when in reality, it will only feed his low self esteem and he will be out of a job in 2 weeks max.

Again, why the doubts about my ability?  I have specifically asked you not to post those.  Yet, you continue to ignore me.  You are not here to help apparently.  You are here to laugh and mock and discourage.  Do you remember the advice "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?  You have violated that so many times.

He's essentially saying what I did, just in far fewer words (by the way, did you bother to read it?). I'm predicting a struggle because it's scientifically proven that one with your personality type and skill set will struggle. That's not mocking or negative ... it's insight into why these sorts of jobs end up "falling through" for you.

I wouldn't give up, but I wouldn't look at this as your career, either. You would do very well to keep looking on the back end of things for jobs that suit your strengths. You're already at a point where you're saying "it's a paycheck," which is a rough way to look at a job. If you don't love what you do, aren't excited by it and aren't challenged by it in a good way, it's not a long-term fit. You know this from feeling. I know this from looking at the data about you.

Do what you need to do to make this work for the time being and keep looking for a job that allows you to be you.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1652 on: July 18, 2014, 01:04:08 PM »

Do what you need to do to make this work for the time being and keep looking for a job that allows you to be you.

He's already said he won't.  But not really why, except I think he's afraid to.  Quit watching Cardinals baseball and apply for real jobs that would make you happy, Bushie, while you collect your paycheck and before they burn you out and get rid of you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1653 on: July 18, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2014, 01:21:06 PM by Lankford for US Senate 2014 »

I'm holding my own in this job.  I'm trying to figure out a way to interview for another job and take personal calls from employers when I'm working 8-5 M-F when I can't use the phone at work and don't want to jeopardize my attendance by taking a day off.  I will only get a half hour lunch to boot.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1654 on: July 18, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »

We are supposed to role-play for a while today and then maybe listen to other people taking inbound calls.  I'm hoping and expecting the role-play to give me a better idea on how to talk to my customers.  Bottom line, is I have no plans to leave this job.  I can't afford to go through another long, painful job search.

Why can't  you look for a better job now that you have a job?  I'm missing something.

I think it comes down to his confidence - he has none. It was difficult for him to be rejected job after job while his classmates all were hired, so he's given up and thinks that being a telemarketer is going to be a career for him, when in reality, it will only feed his low self esteem and he will be out of a job in 2 weeks max.

Again, why the doubts about my ability?  I have specifically asked you not to post those.  Yet, you continue to ignore me.  You are not here to help apparently.  You are here to laugh and mock and discourage.  Do you remember the advice "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all"?  You have violated that so many times.

What? How in any way was my post mocking and laughing at you? How was I mean to you in any regard in my post?

I am merely stating facts, Bushie. You don't thrive in sales/call centers. That is a fact. It is not meant to mock you. Hell, I wouldn't thrive in them either; I hate dealing with idiots on the phone and even more, I hate trying to push some product on someone who clearly doesn't need it. Admitting you aren't good at a certain skill isn't admitting you're an idiot, a failure or anything of the like, it's admitting faults and knowing your weaknesses - it's something we all need to know.

You reacted so strangely to my post because you know its true, and you know I am right. I want you to find the right job for you, not just a paycheck, because that leads to unhappiness and being uncomfortable at your job. You know the feeling because you yourself have admitted not feeling comfortable there. You rarely feel comfortable at any call center, yet you keep doing this because its an easy job to score, get pats on the back from your family and friends, and it allows you to stop with the endless interviewing process.

I want whats best for you, as we all do here, I'm not here to mock or discourage you, but I am here to tell you when you're wrong; otherwise I would be doing a disservice by telling you to keep this up because your career is working in a call center.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1655 on: July 18, 2014, 03:01:01 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2014, 03:08:51 PM by memphis »

JMann, as usual I am impressed by the quality, insight, and efforts in your Update contributions. I will, however, respectfully quibble with one point. People like Bushie, and there are far more of his ilk than yours, will never love their jobs. Yes, some jobs are certainly better suited for him than others, but this sort of job soulmate talk isn't helpful for people on the other side of the tracks. Somebody has to clean hotel rooms, somebody has to scan bar codes, somebody has to haul away the port a potties after Mardi Gras. Some people are lucky enough to land a sweet career. The rest of us just want to pay the bills and have some fun before it's time to lay in a box. I think a steady paycheck is an enormously important goal for Bushie to strive for, even though he'll never get it at his current job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1656 on: July 18, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

I'm going to my parents this weekend and we're going to talk about my strategy with the job.  I voiced my frustrations to my mother last night over the phone and she is concerned to be honest.  I don't want to leave this place, but if they think it would be the best thing for me then I would strongly consider it.  Ultimately, it's my decision, but I'll listen to everyone's advice.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1657 on: July 18, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

I'm going to my parents this weekend and we're going to talk about my strategy with the job.  I voiced my frustrations to my mother last night over the phone and she is concerned to be honest.  I don't want to leave this place, but if they think it would be the best thing for me then I would strongly consider it.  Ultimately, it's my decision, but I'll listen to everyone's advice.

Bushie, if you need the $$ I wouldn't leave the job unless if there are legal issues or something like that.  However, you should still be looking for other jobs.  Some employers might be able to work with you as far as a time period for an interview.  If not perhaps take a half day one day to have the interview.

With that being said, considering the above post, I think there might be some serious issues with this job you aren't telling us.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1658 on: July 18, 2014, 03:13:04 PM »

Papa and Mama Bushie probably don't want him working with those people anyway. This job is toast. If you want a town in reasonable distance of OKC without having to worry about them, you should try NW Arkansas, home to your favorite big box, and nary a black anywhere!
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1659 on: July 18, 2014, 03:15:52 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2014, 03:27:30 PM by J-Mann »

JMann, as usual I am impressed by the quality, insight, and efforts in your Update contributions. I will, however, respectfully quibble with one point. People like Bushie, and there are far more of his ilk than yours, will never love their jobs. Yes, some jobs are certainly better suited for him than others, but this sort of job soulmate talk isn't helpful for people on the other side of the tracks. Somebody has to clean hotel rooms, somebody has to scan bar codes, somebody has to haul away the port a potties after Mardi Gras. Some people are lucky enough to land a sweet career. The rest of us just want to pay the bills and have some fun before it's time to lay in a box. I think a steady paycheck is an enormously important goal for Bushie to strive for, even though he'll never get it at his current job.

Well, you could be right about that ... love is certainly a strong word. Think of it this way: one may not ultimately love what they're doing, but can they excel at it? Can they, because they're the right type of person for a particular role, be the best damn barcode-scanner out there? If so, then they shouldn't try to force themselves into positions where they repeatedly will fail.

So, in Jeff's case, yet another call center and another sales job is bound to fail, not because he doesn't want to pay his bills or because he doesn't want to succeed ... but because success in such a role is not in his nature.

Someone can hate his job and do it for a paycheck only but be damn good at it, to boot ... and that's what these sorts of hiring assessments should ferret out: round peg or square peg, round hole or square hole? Ultimately, how the employee feels about work is outside of that scope (although they're more likely to enjoy what they're doing if they're successful at it, and they're more likely to be successful if they don't have to try to be someone they're not).

One addition: I suppose there are some who are "lucky" and land a sweet career and love what they do. I was not one of those people, and of those who actually love there jobs, I don't think most are. I have worked incredibly hard to get where I am, and part of my process of working hard was finding my place, ie: where can I excel? Jeff can do the same; he's just got to pair the "where can I excel" question with "how can I earn a paycheck?"
J-Mann
United States

« Reply #1660 on: July 18, 2014, 03:23:17 PM »

I truly hope you mean everyone's advice. Listening to your parents is fine, but there is a fairly good talent pool gathered here that is trying to help, as well.

My advice is NOT to leave the job outright. But saying things like "it's a paycheck" and voicing "frustrations" means you're not happy and know you won't be happy at this place. It takes some extra effort, Jeff, but keep on the lookout for jobs that better-support your skills, your personality and get you toward your ultimate goal ... and if that's simply a steady paycheck, that's fine. Just understand that it needs to be a job at which you can be consistent and successful to provide that.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1661 on: July 18, 2014, 03:36:23 PM »

JMann, I wasn't trying to suggest that your success was merely a matter of luck, so I apologize for my poor word choice. I am sure that you are a very hard worker. You're clearly the poster who puts the most effort into this thread.
I do think, though, that one's innate talent is a chancey matter. It's not just that we all have different skills and must be sorted appropriately. Some people are simply remarkably gifted, and some in more than one field. Others are not and a simple job is all they can muster. That was what I was getting at with the luck comment.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1662 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38:13 PM »

Are there any email/live chat tech support centers in Oklahoma? Bushie could definitely work that job.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1663 on: July 18, 2014, 03:46:30 PM »

So, RIP TULSA too?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1664 on: July 18, 2014, 03:49:20 PM »

I'm not familiar with how it works exactly, but I believe people who upload super popular videos on youtube can now get paid. It may be time for Video Update!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1665 on: July 18, 2014, 03:50:35 PM »

Bushie: The Animated Series?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1666 on: July 18, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

I'm not saying Bushie should leave the job just yet, but I have no idea, aside from the fear of more rejection, why he's refusing to put out more applications or be in contact with the career services department at metro tech. If other students have gotten jobs, then they have to be at least somewhat useful.

To be honest, CADD does seem right up Bushie's alley. It's not a job where he's on the phone all day helping people, and he's given a task to do likely one at a time. I could see him doing well as a drafter assuming he goes to work and isn't lazy.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1667 on: July 18, 2014, 04:19:47 PM »

So, RIP TULSA too?

I think he signed a year lease...
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1668 on: July 18, 2014, 05:15:31 PM »

That post is a huge red flag. Something has happened that he is not telling us (maybe he's already been terminated due to shoddy performance during the training). If that's not the case it seems that he's considering quitting before lining up another job.

This does not augur well.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1669 on: July 18, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »

I'm not familiar with how it works exactly, but I believe people who upload super popular videos on youtube can now get paid. It may be time for Video Update!!!

You get a share of the advertising revenue. There's an interesting scheme some girls run I've seen a few times, basically they'll upload a "response" video consisting of some inane commentary on some video going viral while wearing a bikini top or lingerie or something, and get tons of hits because of the thumbnails, and profit for them. For obvious reasons, that's not going to work for Bushie though.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1670 on: July 18, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »

Yep, I think the official announcement about his time at this job coming to an end will be posted on here by Monday. So much for an August proposal...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1671 on: July 18, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »

You get a share of the advertising revenue. There's an interesting scheme some girls run I've seen a few times, basically they'll upload a "response" video consisting of some inane commentary on some video going viral while wearing a bikini top or lingerie or something, and get tons of hits because of the thumbnails, and profit for them. For obvious reasons, that's not going to work for Bushie though.

I don't know, I think "Bushie in a bikini" could be huge!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1672 on: July 18, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »

Has he been fired? It's interesting that he went from vehemently defending the job to now admitting he's discussed quitting with his parents over his concerns.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1673 on: July 18, 2014, 06:20:10 PM »

Has he been fired? It's interesting that he went from vehemently defending the job to now admitting he's discussed quitting with his parents over his concerns.

Yea, it looks like its over
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1674 on: July 18, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

rip outbound call center.

rip paid sports talk.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 64 65 66 [67] 68 69 70 71 72 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to: