Are we ready for a (literal) bastard president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:34:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are we ready for a (literal) bastard president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are we ready for a (literal) bastard president?  (Read 3610 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 05, 2014, 08:40:23 PM »

That is, a president born when his or her parents were not married.
A lot of people being born these days are bastards.
Could a candidate's bastardism be relevant?
Are any of the contenders for 2016 bastards?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »

I don't see it being a problem considering that we already(kind of) have had two if not more "bastard" Presidents.

Clinton and Obama jump right to right to mind since their biological fathers were not involved in their lives.

Although I don't know if any of the 2016 contenders for ether parties would qualify for that definition.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 02:35:08 PM »

I wonder if any Presidents in the past were conceived when their parents were not married.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:29 PM »

It will probably never happen. The stigma itself isn't an issue, but illegitimacy today generally occurs in tandem with a number of socioeconomic factors that, in our increasingly immobile society, heavily stack the odds of ever rising that high against such a child.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »

I don't see it being a problem considering that we already(kind of) have had two if not more "bastard" Presidents.

Clinton and Obama jump right to right to mind since their biological fathers were not involved in their lives.

Although I don't know if any of the 2016 contenders for ether parties would qualify for that definition.

Clinton's father died before he was born. I don't know if that counts as a bastard.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 12:21:02 AM »

Clinton's father died before he was born. I don't know if that counts as a bastard.

No, I don't think it would.

I believe Obama's parents were married when he was born, but not when he was conceived.  Though, yeah, that wouldn't make him a bastard either.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 06:50:18 AM »

Well it depends on what you mean by "bastard child".  For instance somebody's parents could've gotten real freaky one night and then waited until after nine months to tie the knot.  In that case I don't imagine that many people would judge the presidential candidate because their parents were too horny.  In another case, the mother could've gotten knocked up by a previous boyfriend/husband right before meeting the father.  During their courtship she gives birth and they get married sometime afterward.  I don't think anyone would judge the candidate off of this, in fact I think that due to the Hallmark channel nature of this scenario, it might even help the candidate.  And then there is the parents getting shacked up or the mother just getting knocked up with no marriage at all.
Actually there are about a thousand different ways you could have a literal bastard child.  More to the point though, I don't think that in today's America a candidate is going to be judged by the circumstances of their birth (unless they're like a crack baby or something).  The thing is though, given the high socioeconomic standards we put on presidents, such as having Master's Degrees from Ivy Universities, I kind of doubt that you would have too many bastard children running for president.  Sure, in today's postmodern society it is possible for young rich people to breed outside of marriage, but I don't think that their children will be around until at least 2050 as relevant presidential candidates.  And by then, America would probably be ready for a bisexual atheist transgendered president.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 07:11:26 AM »

I wonder if any Presidents in the past were conceived when their parents were not married.

Obama, his parents were married in February and he was born in August.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 03:29:35 AM »

Don't forget President Leslie Lynch King, Jr.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2016, 10:52:14 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2016, 11:00:14 AM by Simfan34 »

It will probably never happen. The stigma itself isn't an issue, but illegitimacy today generally occurs in tandem with a number of socioeconomic factors that, in our increasingly immobile society, heavily stack the odds of ever rising that high against such a child.

I could see Adam Laxalt, for the simple reason that he does not face these problems.

Even Georgiana Emma Georgiana Bloomberg has had a son out of wedlock.

EDIT: Here is the, uh, bastard with his grandfather, who for some reason is wearing his neck ribbon of a Knight of the Order of the British Empire:

I'd say there's a non-zero chance that he takes up British citizenship at some point, thereby legitimately making him Sir Bloomie.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2016, 06:46:52 PM »

Trump's younger daughter is a bastard... close enough.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 08:24:37 PM »

If the parents were living together at the time of the birth, and later got married, it wouldn't be an issue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies