Germany plans income tax cut for 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:29:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Germany plans income tax cut for 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany plans income tax cut for 2016  (Read 664 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2014, 05:15:58 AM »

Income taxes 'to be cut from 2016'

Finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble spoke last week about cutting income tax to reduce what is known as “tax bracket creep” under which employees who get pay rises slip into higher tax groups, making their net pay lower than before.

According to Spiegel this tax cut would be two percent and could now be introduced in 2016.

However, the plan would depend on backing from the Conservative-led government’s junior coalition partners, the Social Democrats (SPD), who have campaigned against tax cuts.

SPD leader Sigmar Gabriel is largely supportive of the plan, but leading members of his party on Monday warned against any tax cuts without raising government revenues elsewhere.

The government budget, however, does appear to have room for the cut. Spiegel reported that Germany’s surging tax revenues will mean an additional €7 billion heading into government coffers in 2015, €9 billion in 2016 and 2017, and an extra €11 billion in 2018.

http://www.thelocal.de/20140505/german-income-taxes-to-be-cut-by-2016
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 05:57:59 AM »

I encourage people that would otherwise be quick to criticize tax cuts for ideological reasons to consider the current German tax situation.

Especially considering the good budget and the clear unfairness of the current system ("Kalte Progression"), this is probably a good idea.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »

I'm against tax cuts, simply because it will reduce the role or the potential role that could play the state.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:14:30 AM »

I'm against tax cuts, simply because it will reduce the role or the potential role that could play the state.

You don't have any problem with income increases actually resulting in a lower net amount?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 07:52:52 AM »

You don't have any problem with income increases actually resulting in a lower net amount?

Well that's just obscene. I seriously would've thought the Germans of all people would have had incremental progression.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 10:32:49 AM »

Well that's just obscene. I seriously would've thought the Germans of all people would have had incremental progression.
This. Then again, the Europeans in general have a lot of good and bad ideas.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »

The SPD is a complete joke.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 10:41:25 AM »

Seriously? No, I don't have any problem with that.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »

So less money despite better actual pay? Kind of absurd.

If you really want more revenue (which Germany doesn't need, as we have a balanced budget), then raise the upper brackets, but the status quo isn't something I could ever consider just.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:58:10 AM »

If you really want more revenue (which Germany doesn't need, as we have a balanced budget), then raise the upper brackets, but the status quo isn't something I could ever consider just.

I don't understand what it is absurd.
Instead of cutting tax, Germany could definitely have a more progressive budget with the new revenues. I don't know, ending (partially or not) Harz IV would be great. This bill is definitely terrible.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

I don't understand what it is absurd.
Instead of cutting tax, Germany could definitely have a more progressive budget with the new revenues. I don't know, ending (partially or not) Harz IV would be great. This bill is definitely terrible.

Though I am not certain that cutting taxes to free up cash for investment automatically raises revenue in the long run. If the Government doesn't need the money and isn't in a benefits mood, it definitely makes since to give money back.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies