Does Christianity have a lock on the presidency?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:32:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Does Christianity have a lock on the presidency?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Does Christianity have a lock on the presidency?  (Read 1707 times)
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »

Every president so far has been a Christian, as are most politicians. Do you think voters are, or ever will be, ready to vote for an atheist, Jew, or anyone that isn't a Christian, especially a Republican? I plan to run as a Republican for office one day, but I am also an atheist.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 11:52:25 AM »

Obligatory "Obama is a Muslim" post.

I could see a Jewish person being elected. But definitely not anything else, at least within the next 20-30 years.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »

There's certainly a possibility of a Jewish President, simply due to the high number of potential candidates in elected office (10 Senators, One Governor, House Majority leader Eric Cantor, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, DNC Chairwoman Wassterman- Schultz.)

There's probably too much of a backlash against atheists at the moment, but it could change in the next two decades.

I don't know how long being Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc would significantly hurt someone's chances.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 02:40:18 PM »

Every president so far has been a Christian, as are most politicians. Do you think voters are, or ever will be, ready to vote for an atheist, Jew, or anyone that isn't a Christian, especially a Republican? I plan to run as a Republican for office one day, but I am also an atheist.

Every President has been nominally a Christian.

Typically candidates outside of the Deep South don't make a big deal about their religious beliefs. 

If you're looking to run for public office, just nominally take up the banner of some Christian denomination.  You don't actually have to go to services or belief the stuff that's spewed from the pulpit, but voters will feel more at ease knowing that you "believe" that there's a God in Heaven.

If your parents subscribed to a particularly non-offensive brand of Christianity, like Methodism or Presbyterianism (Episcopalianism or even Catholicism may be okay in CT) you can just claim that you do too!  No one can accuse you of being opportunistic; after all, you were raised that way for crying out loud!

However, if your parents are non-religious or if their type of Christianity is "not okay" in CT (i.e., Pentecostalism), then you should just find a nice girl who is a Methodist or a Presbyterian, fall in love with her, convert to her faith, and then marry her.  Even the nonreligious get chocked-up when they hear conversion stories like that!    
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 02:48:04 PM »

It would seem Christians have a lock on the presidency due to the fact that the majority of Americans identify as being Christian, and that probably won't change for a very long time.

I agree with the other posters who believed that the first non-Christian President in America will likely be Jewish. Practically no one would care if a Jew were nominated by either party. Just look at Joe Lieberman's vice-presidential candidacy in 2000, in which his religious identification only seemed to pop up since it was the first time either major party had a Jewish running mate.

The impact of an atheist presidential nominee is more difficult to determine. I would take into account that like Christians and Jews, atheists do span the political spectrum, and their attitudes about religion differ. While the religious right in America might view atheists as very hostile to the Christian faith, it seems much more complex than that. For example, even though mean-spirited atheist candidates would probably be off-putting to the majority of Americans, I think atheist politicians who present themselves as ambivalent or friendly to other religious groups would not have difficulty winning. In fact, an atheist politician who is nominally pro-life would probably be able to corral more support from conservatives who oppose abortion, while a candidate who identifies as Christian, yet supports abortion (like many Democrats today) probably wouldn't be able to defeat that kind of atheist. I think in the next generation or so (about 20 years), America will be ready to elect a particular brand of atheist.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »

Typically candidates outside of the Deep South don't make a big deal about their religious beliefs. 

If you're looking to run for public office, just nominally take up the banner of some Christian denomination.  You don't actually have to go to services or belief the stuff that's spewed from the pulpit, but voters will feel more at ease knowing that you "believe" that there's a God in Heaven.

If your parents subscribed to a particularly non-offensive brand of Christianity, like Methodism or Presbyterianism (Episcopalianism or even Catholicism may be okay in CT) you can just claim that you do too!  No one can accuse you of being opportunistic; after all, you were raised that way for crying out loud!

However, if your parents are non-religious or if their type of Christianity is "not okay" in CT (i.e., Pentecostalism), then you should just find a nice girl who is a Methodist or a Presbyterian, fall in love with her, convert to her faith, and then marry her.  Even the nonreligious get chocked-up when they hear conversion stories like that!    

Not a bad idea. But I plan on going to NH. It is most friendly to my Libertarian views, and the party fusion system won't make me decide which of my two parties to go with. How about a Satanist president? I know for a fact that satanists don't worship fire and the devil, but the majority of the general public, even non-Christians, still believe that
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 08:56:25 PM »

Chelsea Clinton could be the first Jewish president.
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »

The first non-Christian president will most likely be Jewish, simply because there's a lot of Jews in politics and they are generally non-controversial.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:20:25 PM »

Not a bad idea. But I plan on going to NH. It is most friendly to my Libertarian views, and the party fusion system won't make me decide which of my two parties to go with. How about a Satanist president? I know for a fact that satanists don't worship fire and the devil, but the majority of the general public, even non-Christians, still believe that

I've met Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Wicca, and about every variety of Christian -- the few Satanists that I have met have been very nasty people.  It's Zoroastrians who have the fire temples; I have yet to meet them, but they sound OK. Satanists that I have met are horrible people. Although any religion can be perverted into something ugly, a tendency that worships evil for its own sake can get only bad results.

If I would never offer anything but contempt to a mobster or a fascist tyrant because such people leave behind cadavers and ruined people, why would I worship an entity that would destroy the Earth if it got the chance? 
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 11:49:09 PM »

I've met Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists, Wicca, and about every variety of Christian -- the few Satanists that I have met have been very nasty people.  It's Zoroastrians who have the fire temples; I have yet to meet them, but they sound OK. Satanists that I have met are horrible people. Although any religion can be perverted into something ugly, a tendency that worships evil for its own sake can get only bad results.

If I would never offer anything but contempt to a mobster or a fascist tyrant because such people leave behind cadavers and ruined people, why would I worship an entity that would destroy the earth if it got the chance?
Exactly, I agree 100%!

Anyhow, a Satanist will probably never become president in America as we know it. But still, crazy things happen, the Germans ended up with Hitler, after all.

I've met a few Wiccans here and there, and the ones I know seem like nice hippies (not to stereotype them), so I could see one of them being elected President way before a Satanist.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 12:41:02 AM »

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Lincoln were all deists/theistic rationalists while the Adamses and Taft were Unitarians.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 09:06:04 AM »

Chelsea Clinton could be the first Jewish president.
Chelsea Clinton seems to be Christian. She was married to a Jewish man in an interfaith ceremony.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:13:35 AM »

ITT some of you don't understand the philosophical grounds of modern Satanism, which if anything is more rooted in staunch anti-authoritarianism than it is "evil" or "immorality".

As for this thread, I would say that it's more of a lock for people whose religion are considered "mainstream" than anything else.  For instance, I imagine a Jewish politician has a bit of a higher chance of winning a nomination right now than a Muslim (I mean an actual Muslim, not Barry Old Boy), an atheist, a Hindu, a Buddhist, Zoroastrian, a Paganist, etc etc etc.  Basically, at the moment there are those religions that America considers "safe" and appealable to the majority, and then there are those they don't.  Christians at the moment, just like they have for the past several hundred years, make up a vast majority of the upper echelons of society, who have a near monopoly on political power and prestige.  As long as that is the case, yeah they are going to have a lock.
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 10:31:19 AM »

If I would never offer anything but contempt to a mobster or a fascist tyrant because such people leave behind cadavers and ruined people, why would I worship an entity that would destroy the earth if it got the chance?
Exactly, I agree 100%!

Anyhow, a Satanist will probably never become president in America as we know it. But still, crazy things happen, the Germans ended up with Hitler, after all.

I've met a few Wiccans here and there, and the ones I know seem like nice hippies (not to stereotype them), so I could see one of them being elected President way before a Satanist.

Well Satanists don't worship Satan, it's more of a philosophy about being your own god. But I still think the name alone will keep them out of the White House.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:39:43 PM »

Washington, Jefferson, Madison, and Lincoln were all deists/theistic rationalists while the Adamses and Taft were Unitarians.

Washington was either a Baptist or an Anglican.

Obligatory Washington was a firm Christian post (and history tends to agree with me on this one)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »

Obligatory Washington was a firm Christian post (and history tends to agree with me on this one)

Both John Remsberg and Gregg Frazier (the latter of whom teaches at a Christian college) disagrees with you on this one: http://infidels.org/library/historical/john_remsburg/six_historic_americans/
http://www.amazon.com/The-Religious-Beliefs-Americas-Founders/dp/0700618457

Its true he nominally was an Episcopalian church member all his life, so not sure where the Baptist part comes from.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2014, 12:09:21 AM »

Both John Remsberg and Gregg Frazier (the latter of whom teaches at a Christian college) disagrees with you on this one: http://infidels.org/library/historical/john_remsburg/six_historic_americans/

Its true he nominally was an Episcopalian church member all his life, so not sure where the Baptist part comes from.

This is strange, you are the second Democrat I've agreed with tonight (at least I agree with you on Washington) Cheesy

It does seem pretty clear that Washington was an Episcopal.

It seems like some people either think that the Founding Fathers were all holy rollers or non-Christian in their beliefs, when in reality the picture is muddier. I think that some of the Founding Fathers were clearly devout Christian (Hamilton, at least later in life), while others were deists (Jefferson, Franklin).

I thought this Encyclopaedia Britannica article summed up things on the subject nicely.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2014, 12:13:36 AM »

This is strange, you are the second Democrat I've agreed with tonight (at least I agree with you on Washington) Cheesy

It seems like some people either think that the Founding Fathers were all holy rollers or non-Christian in their beliefs, when in reality the picture is muddier. I think that some of the Founding Fathers were clearly devout Christian (Hamilton, at least later in life), while others were deists (Jefferson, Franklin).

I thought this Encyclopaedia Britannica article summed up things on the subject nicely.

Thomas Paine may have been the only atheist among the Founding Father's but that's still a better ratio than atheists have today with Kyrsten Sinema being the only without a religion. Almost every member of Congress is an Abramhamist, although there are a few Hindus and Buddhists. I suppose there could be some that identify as being Jewish for cultural reasons but not religious reasons.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 12:18:33 AM »

Thomas Paine may have been the only atheist among the Founding Father's but that's still a better ratio than atheists have today with Kyrsten Sinema being the only without a religion. Almost every member of Congress is an Abramhamist, although there are a few Hindus and Buddhists. I suppose there could be some that identify as being Jewish for cultural reasons but not religious reasons.

Perfect representation probably won't happen in America when only 535 congressmen and senators speak for 310 million people on Capitol Hill.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 12:20:50 AM »

Obama is a Muslim.

But actually, I don't think Obama is really religious. He was raised by his atheist mother and converted to Christianity later on if I am correct. It is likely for political reasons. He is likely apathetic or possibly even an atheist. As a practicing Catholic, I can firmly say I don't care. As long as he is on my side politically I do not care what his religion is. We're not electing a Pope.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 12:21:19 AM »

Perfect representation probably won't happen in America when only 535 congressmen and senators speak for 310 million people on Capitol Hill.

20% of Americans don't have a religion.
0.2% of Congress doesn't have a religion.

That's some piss poor representation there.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

Tom Paine was a Deist, not an atheist.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 01:51:57 PM »

20% seems kinda high. Where did you get those numbers?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2014, 06:48:49 PM »

20% seems kinda high. Where did you get those numbers?

If you include everybody without formal religious affiliation and the indifferent its pretty accurate IMO.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 02:23:05 AM »

The issue is that even though Satanists don't literally worship Satan, they're still puerile and have poor enough taste and skewed enough perspective for their preferred terms of communication of anti-authoritarian views to be, well, 'Satanist'.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies