Confirmation Hearing: Simfan for GM (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:51:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Simfan for GM (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Simfan for GM (Confirmed)  (Read 827 times)
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:02 PM »
« edited: May 15, 2014, 12:21:51 AM by Cincinnatus »

Executive order #6915

I am appointing Simfan as Atlasia's next GM.

72 hours to question the nominee Gentleman.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »

At this point my only question would be if the nominee has concrete ideas to save the position and restore it. And regardless of my question, I strongly support the nominee, provided that he promises not to do anything involving aliens as GM.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 09:44:31 AM »

Why should we continue to have this position, rather than just get rid of it altogether? It's increasingly clear that few individuals can handle the position, so please inform us as to why you think this position is worth preserving and why you think you're the person for the job.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

I intend to use my position to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the present body of Atlasian law and project and detail events based upon the effects they have had. I would say perhaps 20% of the current body of law at most is understood to the point where it has had an effect on things. I believe things have been going quite differently than we think they have, and you will have some work to do, I say.

The GM has too often been the the one filling in budget projections. Freed from these constraints I hope to restore the position to its original goal.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:53 PM »

I intend to use my position to undertake a comprehensive analysis of the present body of Atlasian law and project and detail events based upon the effects they have had. I would say perhaps 20% of the current body of law at most is understood to the point where it has had an effect on things. I believe things have been going quite differently than we think they have, and you will have some work to do, I say.

The GM has too often been the the one filling in budget projections. Freed from these constraints I hope to restore the position to its original goal.

Translation: I don't like the legislation you've enacted so far, and so I'm going to apply my own ideological biases, free from any empirical data to the contrary in real life that might disprove said biases, to undermine what you've done.

That's about right, isn't it? At least that's what I've gathered from what you've said on the IRC about legislation that's been enacted that you think would tank the economy, by way of your free market ideological biases, of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »

Translation: I don't like the legislation you've enacted so far, and so I'm going to apply my own ideological biases, free from any empirical data to the contrary in real life that might disprove said biases, to undermine what you've done.

That's about right, isn't it? At least that's what I've gathered from what you've said on the IRC about legislation that's been enacted that you think would tank the economy, by way of your free market ideological biases, of course.

This is ludicrous. Of course not. Tread carefully, Senator, if want to rehash old comments that will end badly for us all.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 04:16:10 PM »

Do you consider yourself to be GM as of the time this question is being asked?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 04:52:41 PM »

I have been appointed, you are confirming the appointment.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 06:24:27 PM »

This is ludicrous. Of course not. Tread carefully, Senator, if want to rehash old comments that will end badly for us all.

Should we really consider the IRC within the context of Atlasia, and specially as something to be considered official in a Senate hearing? If we were doing that then there's a lot of politicians in trouble for their comments...

Besides, the recent debate over Health Care proved that too often we lack perspective and the actual knowledge of what is really happening in the country, and we don't even know if most of the bills we have passed actually work.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 01:02:00 AM »

Based on this, I'm assuming you'll continue the current precedent of vastly eliminating the cost analysis system. With this in mind, how will you provide incentive to alter any discrepancies that exist in your opinion, and what metrics will you use to detail that?

With a fairly direct statement that the current assessment of legislation is flawed to the point that drastic differences should exist, I'm sure you already have analyzed some pieces of legislation and found credible examples. What examples have you discovered? 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »

Good question, Senator. If I feel proposed legislation, which I intend to review regularly, takes an unrealistic approach to costs, I will certainly make that clear. I'd hope the threat of being rebuked by the GM would serve as motivation to produce honest numbers. I'll be putting out various reports on the state of various regions and agencies to keep people regularly informed and hopefully spur legislation in response.

As for examples of legislation I could certainly name a few. The Duke-Marokai Postal Reform Act, for one example, was intended to significantly reform the postal service and make it competitive. But it was watered down to the point where the only thing it ended up doing was issuing a report, whose results I'd like to report on. The Northeast, I found, passed an act in 2011 whose wording means that its elected officials are actually unpaid. Successive legislation passed by the Senate, I once found, and I'm not entirely sure about this, could mean we actually have -2 aircraft carriers. All this means our budget is probably woefully inadequate in some fields but tremendously overspent in others.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »

Do you intend to resign as Attorney General?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »

I will say that Simfan has wanted this job for quite sometime, even before I appointed Adam for a second time. He's one of the few I know that have wanted to be GM. I hope the senate gives him fair consideration because I honestly have little options.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 06:54:36 PM »

That is true, I have wanted it even when I used to be dead.

Only if it required of me.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »

So can I take that as a yes you would if you were confirmed as GM, given Article V, Section I of the Constitution?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 02:43:36 AM »

So can I take that as a yes you would if you were confirmed as GM, given Article V, Section I of the Constitution?

I am following the President's lead here.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 08:23:29 AM »

Questioning will end tonight.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »

The GM position is exempt from the Semi-Presidentialism amendment so yes, Simfan would have to resign from the Attorney Generalship should he be confirmed as GM.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 03:03:02 PM »

Can I appoint myself to AG? I guess there is one person I can call for a favor to take that job...
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »

The maximum time for questioning the nominee has expired.  Senators, please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain on the confirmation of the nominee.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »

AYE
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom