Amherst scores triumph over "male white privilege", bans fraternities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:43:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Amherst scores triumph over "male white privilege", bans fraternities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Amherst scores triumph over "male white privilege", bans fraternities  (Read 8778 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
« edited: May 06, 2014, 08:34:49 PM by Amb. AG GM Pc. Cllr. Simfan34 OSA(G) OSA(S) (a big deal) »

Let me give you the the bad article for once, that being the Buzzfeed article.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/katiejmbaker/amherst-college-officially-bans-all-fraternities-and-sororit

Because all members of Greek organisations are rapists, right? And all this talk of white male privilege makes me want to curl up rocking in a fetal position saying "Politics follow generational cycles; things will change. Politics follow generational cycles; things will change. Politics follow generational cycles; things will change. Politics follow generational cycles; things will change."
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:06 PM »

Wonderful News!
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 08:16:22 PM »

Hopefully it alienates their donor base so much they reverse the decision quickly. Hit these guys where it hurts.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 08:19:14 PM »

Very good news.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:21:18 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2014, 08:41:49 PM by Snowstalker »

Excellent. Any blow against bro-dom is worthwhile.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:23:07 PM »

Useless symbolic decision.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »

More helpless victims of our senseless nationwide war on bros.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »

Terrible decision. We need to stop bending over backwards to every self-proclaimed "victim" there is. Some people want to be victims and will find something else to whine about now. They want to be upset about certain things because it gives them something to live for. Pathetic.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36:39 PM »

It's me, or everyone has silly opinions here?

Some endorse ineffective symbolical solutions, some blame the victims.

What is wrong with your minds?
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:39:08 PM »

It's me, or everyone has silly opinions here?

Some endorse ineffective symbolical solutions, some blame the victims.

What is wrong with your minds?

Said anybody who ever disagreed with anybody ever about anything.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 09:44:01 PM »

We're on the internet, so we're not using them at the moment.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:51 PM »

I strongly believe in stopping sexual assault and rape, as would any morally functioning person. What I do not believe in is this idea of an "all-pervasive" rape culture that apparently all-so-conveniently happens to mesh nicely with the idea of white cismale privilege or whatnot. I don't entirely know what constitutes "rape culture".

When students at Yale shout "No means yes! Yes means anal!" I suppose that can count as "rape culture" though I'd like to think that's not pervasive; ie Cathcon or everyone I know in a frat doesn't actually believe in that sort of horrendousness. Where I get confused is when I'm told that school uniforms somehow are part of this "rape culture", as I was when visiting my friends at a New England liberal arts college (not one particularly known for its kooky-ness, at that), or, as I heard on a rare occasion I found myself on the west side of Broadway, that the sign-in policy limiting the amount of visits a given person could make in a month there also constituted "rape culture". (Maybe it was actually the patriarchy)

All I am saying is that this "rape culture" seems to have become some ill-defined, loaded term that at least amongst certain circles, especially here, seems to be more important a thing to protest about than combat the occurrence of sexual assault itself. In the discourse here at least it threatens to make any sort of discussion of how to fight sexual assault impossible without adopting some sort of combative, anti-authority, social-justice-warrior tone lest one be accused of enabling this all pervasive "rape culture". It's a complete derailment of the actual issue.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 09:54:37 PM »

^^^
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »

Don't take a metaphorical piss on those that might actually enjoy their lives. I would, however, be interesting to hear your actual opposition to people being productive, taking leadership roles, having to learn codes of conduct, running an organization, and all the other things that come with being part of such an organization.

In any case, this is a great miscarriage of justice, the likes of which has not been seen since--probably--Roe v. Wade. They can all go to Hell.

GDIs bruh
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 10:13:04 PM »

Don't take a metaphorical piss on those that might actually enjoy their lives. I would, however, be interesting to hear your actual opposition to people being productive, taking leadership roles, having to learn codes of conduct, running an organization, and all the other things that come with being part of such an organization.

In any case, this is a great miscarriage of justice, the likes of which has not been seen since--probably--Roe v. Wade. They can all go to Hell.

GDIs bruh

I'm sure your two-word satirical comment greatly amused and satisfied you to the point of making up for its utter uselessness in the context of it being read by any other individual.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »

F[INKS] YES!

F[INKS] FRATS! F[INKS] THEM TO HELL!

BURN THE FRATS!

Seriously this is awesome. All other places need to follow suit and put an end to those evil, vile abominations.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2014, 10:20:01 PM »

Roll Eyes
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »

F[INKS] YES!

BURN THE FRATS!

Seriously this is awesome. All other places need to follow suit and put an end to those evil, vile abominations.

I do hope you are being sarcastic. However, if you're not, I personally am curious as to whether you failed to get a bid during rush, or just sucked in general during your college years (assuming you did, in fact, attend any form of higher education)?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2014, 10:22:32 PM »

F[INKS] YES!

BURN THE FRATS!

I do hope you are being sarcastic. However, if you're not, I personally am curious as to whether you failed to get a bid during rush, or just sucked in general during your college years (assuming you did, in fact, attend any form of higher education)?

No I'm not. I hated frats in college and made a pledge to never ever vote for anyone for Student Senate who was in one. I even belonged to anti-frat Facebook groups. In a nutshell frats are DEEPLY hated in my subculture and scene.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2014, 10:23:50 PM »

All of which can and are done by people who have nothing to do with Greek Life.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:47 PM »

F[INKS] YES!

BURN THE FRATS!

Everyone knows frats are full of creepy douchebags with questionable tactics in the female relations department.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 10:26:17 PM »

In the civilian life, the type of situations that fraternities deal with are unlikely to be comparable to some rando organization like the Creative Arts Guild.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 10:27:26 PM »

In the civilian life, the type of situations that fraternities deal with are unlikely to be comparable to some rando organization like the Creative Arts Guild.

Are you seriously comparing being in a fraternity to being in the frickin' military?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

Interesting* anecdote: I was the treasurer of my school's art appreciation club (we had a kind of dumb name so I won't post that here because it's the sort of embarassingly twee late 00s name that we thought was cool at the time but in retrospect is way too try hard), and the club, completely independently, put on a gallery show, with live music, food and drinks, and sold $10,000 worth of tickets to the show, earning about $2,000 in profit. So it's definitely possible to learn all this random stuff without a fraternity (which were, by the way, banned (don't remember if it was officially or unofficially though) at my good Catholic school, as they besmirched our Jesuit character). So I guess the moral of the story is, BRTD is right, as per usual.

*not really
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 10:33:12 PM »

Are you seriously comparing being in a fraternity to being in the frickin' military?

No, that's just the point. Obviously I'm not going to allow my remarks to be taken in comparison to all of human life. As a law enforcement officer, public official, or member of the military, it's quite clear that you're dealing with situations on a different level than the average voter might be. Thus, it would be foolish to include such things in the sample. However, when in fraternities that actually operate, function, and--on the other hand--"rage", you are put in situations that may require more finesse, diplomacy, and discipline than one might pick up working in other student organizations.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies