Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:39:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread  (Read 3625 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 07:43:52 PM »

Rock on, Mechaman Smiley I quit smoking one month ago and I feel great. I know they are different beasts, nicotine and alcohol, but I think the psychological tools needed to combat an addiction are probably similar. I've had many cravings for a cigarette and daydreams about a good smoke. Just one! Ahh, how nice! But that's a lie. We can never have just one. Always keep in mind what led you to give up. Slipping up will cause you to feel just as bad as that, if not worse, and is potentially lethal.

Wow that was way darker than I intended. I wish you the best. Stay focused and kick ass. And if you're feeling defeated and want to give up, remember you'll only end up even worse. It fixes nothing.

Thanks Comrade!

Yes, I quit smoking a long time ago.  That was a real bitch.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 07:44:33 PM »

Please tell me your "Death to the Forum" thread wasn't you falling off the wagon. Tongue

Seriously, bro, keep it strong a day at a time.

Nah, that's just what Creative came up with this morning due to a concern that my BENGHAZI ACT! was getting stale.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »

Please tell me your "Death to the Forum" thread wasn't you falling off the wagon. Tongue

Seriously, bro, keep it strong a day at a time.

Nah, that's just what Creative came up with this morning due to a concern that my BENGHAZI ACT! was getting stale.

Kudos. Give their department an extra hour of lunch Monday.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2014, 05:10:09 AM »

13 days guys!  13 days!

Kind of got a bad headache right now and can't go back to sleep.  I've taken it slower on the beets.  They do help calm my nerves, but they kind of make my mouth and throat sore and make me feel a little bit too high sometimes.

I have to admit, this is going smoother than I thought.  I guess I should consider that a good thing and more of an incentive to continue to stay sober for the indefinite future.  I know too many people who ended up in the Emergency Room trying to go suddenly sober, so I should really consider myself fortunate that the worst symptoms I got were homicidal rage and shaking hands.

Anyway, thanks for your support guys.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2014, 05:12:14 AM »

Great to hear that!

Don't you know other people who are in the same situation than you actually? I don't know, maybe if other people try to end their addiction at the same time than you, it should help you to continue the fight?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 10:48:38 AM »

Good job, Mech.  Remember Hang Tough
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 12:49:26 AM »

19 days.  Still sober.

Still haven't hit the gym yet, but I plan on starting this week.  I just spent all day boating on one of our many manmade lakes.  I was with some good friends of mine who drank Dr. Pepper and Pepsi.  So yeah, there was no temptation around for me.  Like any pale paddy, I brought some high rated SPF 70 with me.  Of course, some noobs commented that anything above 50 is unnecessary.  Well, after getting third degree burns in Galveston one year after applying SPF 50, I stopped taking chances.
But even with SPF 70, I still get burned!  And this is even with me reapplying it every three hours.  When I was a kid I couldn't even do yard work without putting on sunscreen, no matter if it was just mowing the lawn or if I was working all day in my parent's flowerbed (they paid me, don't judge).  I have to say, after living in this state for practically my whole life, I'm still not used to the humid summers where I feel like my skin is melting every time I step out of a building.  Today we had more dry heat, which isn't so bad, though I still would never live in Phoenix (unless somebody offered me a million dollars or something like that).

Tomorrow is a big day.  I'll be moving out of the renthouse I had been sharing with a good friend of mine for the previous nine months.  It was located out in the country, which was very nice for about the first three months or so.  However, there are some things about rural life that are just inconvenient.  Like driving twenty minutes to get to a Wal-Mart (awaits Atlas wrath) or thirty minutes to get to Gold's Gym.  Hell, the local gas stations close at midnight, so if I'm low on gas and I want to fill up my car I have to drive twenty minutes just to fill up. . . . if not just wait till morning if it's almost empty.
So yes, with weather permitting (hopefully) I'll be moving back to civilization.

Admittedly, I have gone thirty days and longer without a drink before.  I've even managed over a hundred days before.  I know what it takes to get in the kind of mindset where refraining from drinking is easy.  It's really easy to stay in that state of mind for the first month or so after I decide to go sober, it's the months after that where it gets harder.  For me, when things turn to absolute sh*t is when I'm most likely to resort to drinking.  So far I've done really well on that front, as no matter how maddening my day has been or homicidal I feel I've denied myself booze.
It always helps to say, out loud "no damn it no, I do not want this.  I do not need this.  F*** this."  In my car of course.  Not at work where somebody can hear me.

I got a juicer for Christmas.  I think it's time to start using that instead of soda or "fruit juices".  I always heard that natural was better for you anyway.  I tried juicing green grapes once.  It was pretty incredible.  As was juicing strawberries.

That's it.  Mecha 5/26/2014
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2014, 11:42:33 PM »

Still sober, Mecha?  I found a song that will hopefully motivate you. Smiley
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »

How's it going?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 09:12:57 PM »

I believe it has now been 46 days.  And counting.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »

Great job, Mechaman. Put it in your rear view while you are young.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2014, 08:21:24 AM »

I believe it has now been 46 days.  And counting.
Wow,
That's really a great accomplishment. You can really be proud of yourself! Don't give up!!!!!
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2014, 09:30:56 PM »

Well, here I go again:

I might as well call this my update thread, but I thought that I would share some personal thoughts lately.

ANyways, I had this really weird dream last night.  I dreamt that I woke up in this backroom at my workplace in a bed.  I went to the men's locker room and had a shower (though in real life said showers don't exist) and got ready for work.  I then leave the locker room and go to clock in for the day.  I go to my desk and I open a drawer and shoot myself up with heroin before starting work.  Suddenly my boss calls me and I go into his office.  He says that he knows what I'm up to and that there were cameras watching me inject that sh**t into my arm.  I freak out and insist that it was insulin.  He doesn't believe me so he calls the Nazis.  The Nazis get to his office and they pull out their German pistols.  They show up and aim their guns at me and demand that I strip down naked and make my way to the front of the building in full view of the office.  I do what they say, crying bitterly as they follow me with their Nazi guns.  I get out the front door while the whole office is clapping and laughing their asses off when the Nazi guards tell me to lie down on the grass and start eating it.  I start eating it, like a goat, and the next thing I know I'm actually in an underground medical lab shivering like a junkie crying "save me lord, SAVE ME!"  But the Lord never hears me.
And then I woke up.

SO yes, pretty extreme dream.  My former roommate used to think he was such a crackshot at interpreting these, but I think this one is kind of obvious.  And that is that in a way I feel naked and alone without my alcohol habit and am wanting to placate that need with something else.  I feel as though when I admitted my problems to my friends and family that I had in a sense "terminated" myself from drinking alcoholism and that I feel like I have put myself in a position of "shame" (hence the naked parading in front of the office).  By the grass I presume it means cannabis, which the Nazi guards delivered me free and willingly to.  However at the end of the day if I give into substance abuse I'll be right back to where I started: in a sphere of emotional abandonment and loss of hope for the future.

I feel like such a Narc after saying all of that, haha.

I know, deep sh**t, but I had to post this cos it was so out there.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:47 PM »

Pal......I have been where you are, and some times with worse stuff then booze....

PM me any time if you want to talk to some one who has been thru it

I do not know you personally,but I am truly proud of not only your determination towards sobriety but also your courage in sharing your struggle...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 04:50:58 AM »

Well, this is really a strange dream. Are you believing the Nazis are currently controlling Oklahoma? Tongue

More seriously. You have managed to do something that many people are unable to do so: fighting your addiction of alcohol. You can be extremely proud of yourself. No alcohol since more than 50 days, this is really an exploit.

And remember you can't control your dream. So you should just ignore this dream. Your dream isn't reality, remember that!

Continue to fight, you seem to have made many progress and you will be able to make another progress soon.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2014, 06:05:34 PM »

Long belated update:

Well I'm turning into a nervous wreck lately.  I'm going to stay off most of the forum for the indefinite future.  I'll update some of my timelines and (if I win the ME Assembly race) do stuff in Atlasia.  But most other stuff I'm going to stay away from in the hopes that I can get a life and get my mind off stressful things.

-Mechaman
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »

I wish you the best Mechaman!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length