Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:35:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mechaman's Great Sobriety Thread  (Read 3631 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« on: May 08, 2014, 06:11:47 PM »

Hey Mechaman.  I too am a drunk, alcoholic, problem drinker or whatever else you want to call it. I've got near 2 years sober after an epic 20 year boozing career from the age of 14-34. I can say that life is much better than it was before. It doesnt solve all your problems but you are infinitely more capable of handling them when you arent dulled or aching from a hangover, the shakes or the depressive symptoms that alcohol brings with it.

I don't think there is one way to quit, but will say that if you recognize a problem then you are probably right. From my general experience trying moderation usually just doesnt work. Part of the reason we make such great drinkers is we live in extremes. Find some healthy outlets to this behavior pattern. Like previous posters I moved my focus from being a lush to exercising habitually. Nice side benefit is that I dropped like 150 lbs. Exercise feels a lot better and enhances your self image- give it whirl. 

I did some outpatient counseling for a few months. This helped identify some of the underlying emotional reasons that I sought refuge in the bottle. AA isnt my scene but there are some good people there and Im happy that it is there if I need it.  Let me know if you have any questions. In practice it is hard but the general prescription is fairly easy- just dont touch the first one.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 09:27:05 PM »

Great job, Mechaman. Put it in your rear view while you are young.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies