NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:38:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow  (Read 5700 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »

Fortunately she looks set for a humiliating defeat. Good riddance, too.
And seriously, no one is saying "she looks set for a humiliating defeat". No one has said she's going Blanche.

It's pretty clear that the numbers for her to win aren't there. Black turnout may increase slightly, but she's going to drop pretty steeply with Whites- plus she's running in 2014, which is shaping up to be a pretty good Republican year, unlike 2008, which was the best Democratic year since Watergate.

Even then, she barely edged out a win. I know some on here seem to think she has extraordinary political skills (which I don't see evidence for), but she's finished.
She's not finished.
Please Talleyrand, don't join the hysterical folk of this forum who said 2 month that Pryor was going Blanche. That's definitely not the case.
And Cassidy isn't clearly leading her in the run off right now.

There's a difference between saying someone is " going Blanche " and just saying someone is an underdog for reelection
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »

And seriously, no one is saying "she looks set for a humiliating defeat". No one has said she's going Blanche.

It's pretty clear that the numbers for her to win aren't there. Black turnout may increase slightly, but she's going to drop pretty steeply with Whites- plus she's running in 2014, which is shaping up to be a pretty good Republican year, unlike 2008, which was the best Democratic year since Watergate.

Even then, she barely edged out a win. I know some on here seem to think she has extraordinary political skills (which I don't see evidence for), but she's finished.
She's not finished.
Please Talleyrand, don't join the hysterical folk of this forum who said 2 month that Pryor was going Blanche. That's definitely not the case.
And Cassidy isn't clearly leading her in the run off right now.

There's a difference between saying someone is " going Blanche " and just saying someone is an underdog for reelection
I know the difference, thanks.
But neither Talleyrand or Oakvale have said she was a slight underdog:
-Oakvale: "humiliating defeat"
-Talleyrand: "she's finished".

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2014, 10:08:46 AM »

Remember, this campaign won't be happening in a vacuum. The Republicans just don't have anything positive to offer, and I think people will realize it. I think that's why Tom Cotton is collapsing up in Arkansas. I suspect this will happen in other states too once the campaigning picks up.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2014, 01:27:34 PM »

What do you dislike about her?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 01:43:29 PM »

Landrieu will lose; remember that this is the South, where undecideds invariably break heavily R.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

Landrieu is a gifted campaigner and the best senator we can get out of Louisiana.

I'd take her over Cassidy any day.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »

All this said, I think it's a shame Louisiana won't have a progressive senator. They best they'll get is a fairly conservative Democrat like Landrieu.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2014, 02:04:12 PM »

Landrieu is the only Democrat in a competitive seat that I am hoping pulls out a win.

windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2014, 02:05:54 PM »

All this said, I think it's a shame Louisiana won't have a progressive senator. They best they'll get is a fairly conservative Democrat like Landrieu.
Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for DODD FRANK
-she voted for  DADT
-she voted for the minimum wage increase.
-she's pro union

I wouldn't call her a conservative democrat.

Landrieu is the only Democrat in a competitive seat that I am hoping pulls out a win.

May I ask why Del Tachi? Her seniority? A bit like Cochran?
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2014, 02:08:07 PM »

Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for  DADT
-she's pro union

Doesn't she support Keystone XL?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2014, 02:09:43 PM »

Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for  DADT
-she's pro union

Yes, she supports that.
But Bandit, you need to realize:
Keystone XL will never pass under a democrat president. And this project will always pass under a republican president.
Her support doesn't change nothing. She just has the backing of the oil industry.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »

Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for  DADT
-she's pro union

Yes, she supports that.
Keystone XL will never pass under a democrat president. And this project will always pass under a republican president.
Her support doesn't change nothing. She just has the backing of the oil industry.
She's also against the public option
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »

ITT: People who think we should run a Bernie Sanders in Louisiana
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2014, 02:36:33 PM »

Nobody's suggested anything like that
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2014, 02:41:09 PM »

Bandit:
-she voted for Obamacare
-she voted for  DADT
-she's pro union

Yes, she supports that.
She's also against the public option

And? It was impossible to have the public option in health care.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2014, 02:44:44 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2014, 02:46:30 PM by Tell the world that I'm coming home »

As an unabashed progressive, I'm happy with Landrieu because of what windjammer said.

My only real reservation is the public option, but I don't think it comes up in the next six years. I don't care about Keystone enough to whine about a primary.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2014, 02:47:33 PM »

Nobody's suggested anything like that

Obviously I'm exaggerating, but I find the criticism she's getting from the left absurd, especially on the Keystone Pipeline.  That's like attacking a senator from West Virginia for being too pro-coal.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »

As an unabashed progressive, I'm happy with Landrieu because of what windjammer said.

My only real reservation is the public option, but I don't think it comes up in the next six years. I don't care about Keystone enough to whine about a primary.
And you can be sure that when it will be time for the public option, Landrieu will support it Wink.

But seriously for the Keystone, her support doesn't change anything. And I say that as someone who is deeply against Keystone Pipeline.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2014, 03:08:29 PM »

You guys are just as absurd as the Tea Partiers who wanted to nominate someone like Christine O'Donnell to run in Delaware.

If Landrieu was any more liberal then she already is she would have lost reelection long ago.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »

The people who want Landrieu to lose because she's not liberal enough are the same people who's going to complain the loudest about a Republican controlled senate.

Louisiana isn't like Michigan, or Oregon, or New Jersey. It's a very conservative state, and the fact that Landrieu can win here means she has to be a moderate.

As I've already said, she's the best Democrat that can represent Louisiana, she's the most liberal we can get and win, and I think some of you don't understand how bad a Republican controlled Senate can be.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

And you can be sure that when it will be time for the public option, Landrieu will support it Wink.

Probably. She'll talk about not doing it, but when we need her to bat for us, she will. That's why I like her.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2014, 04:39:57 PM »

Probably. She'll talk about not doing it, but when we need her to bat for us, she will. That's why I like her.
The same reason! That's why DINOs are so great. They basically vote with the democrats on every important issue (budget,...). And they differ, it's for votes that aren't important (like Keystone, no real influence after all, it's Obama who will decide), they fake their "moderation": "I want to fix Obamacare". Translation: I support Obamacare but I need to be seen as a centrist in order to win conservative support.
And when we need them, they are here. Landrieu, Pryor, Lincoln, you can say whatever you want about them, but their votes were definitely crucial for the passage of Obamacare. Yes, we don't have the public option blabla, but Obamacare is much more preferable than the current statu quo at this time.
And even for the few conservatives views they can have, Harry Reid can always avoid the bill being voted: see Keystone,...

That's why DINOS are so wonderful, the democratic party holds seats they could normally never hold, and they always side with dems for every crucial vote.

EDIT: And that's why I definitely hate the RINOS, they basically hold some dem leaning seats with such conservative views: Collins was really moderate to oppose minimum wage increase where this measure is backed by an important majority of Americans.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:44 PM »

[/quote]

Like Cochran, she's been an indispensable asset to her state.  Very few senators have been able to fight for their states with as much fervor, effectiveness, and grace as Landrieu has.  Having her in the Senate is a great thing for the people of Louisiana. 

Also, its somewhat disheartening to know that the most vulnerable Senate Democrats this cycle tend to be moderates like Landrieu, Pryor and Begich.  If these Senators lose their seats it means that the Democratic Caucus as a whole moves considerably to the left and that's going to make bipartisan compromise that much more difficult. 
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2014, 04:56:47 PM »

Like Cochran, she's been an indispensable asset to her state.  Very few senators have been able to fight for their states with as much fervor, effectiveness, and grace as Landrieu has.  Having her in the Senate is a great thing for the people of Louisiana. 

Also, its somewhat disheartening to know that the most vulnerable Senate Democrats this cycle tend to be moderates like Landrieu, Pryor and Begich.  If these Senators lose their seats it means that the Democratic Caucus as a whole moves considerably to the left and that's going to make bipartisan compromise that much more difficult. 

[/quote]

An another thing:
moderate dems, and moderate reps represent for their own caucus what Poland, Estonia represented for the USSR: the first line of defense against the other ideology in case of an attack made by the nazis.

And please Del Tachi, you don't believe "compromise" is still possible in the United States?...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2014, 05:16:08 PM »

And please Del Tachi, you don't believe "compromise" is still possible in the United States?...

Moderate elements in both parties have historically been the brokers of compromise.  In recent negotiations concerning things like the Farm Bill it was an overwhelming "moderate consensus" that was able to push these bills through as elements on both the far left and far right defected from the party line. 

However, up until very recently we've been well on our way to having a Senate of fifty Ted Cruzes and fifty Elizabeth Warrens.  The recent victories for moderate candidates in North Carolina have given me hope that 2014 will be the year that we buck that trend, but the loss of Landrieu to Cassidy would still be devastating to the eventual goal of having 100 level-headed, relatively non-partisan senators.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies