NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:47:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: NYT: If Landrieu has a path to victory, it's incredibly narrow  (Read 5691 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

I don't have any particular sympathy for Landrieu, but as someone who viscerally hates Blue Dogs and desperately hopes Democrats will eventually get the guts to start a massive ideological purification effort of the scale of that Republicans did in the 80s and 90s, I really don't see the big problem with her. Sure, she's not nearly as left-wing as a Democrat should be, but she's not really a useless moderate hero trying to force silly compromise about everything. She certainly isn't nearly as bad as Pryor or Lincoln, and in any case it's better to have her than whatever far-right moron is going to replace her.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »

I'll give her credit for being better than Ben Nelson (the Nebraska guy).
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

Somebody's gonna need to explain to me why somebody who is an Irish citizen/not a US citizen can be considered a 'DINO'.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2014, 01:16:40 PM »

Somebody's gonna need to explain to me why somebody who is an Irish citizen/not a US citizen can be considered a 'DINO'.
You know exactly what I mean Hashemite. You have many defaults, your behaviour on this forum is "merdique", "awful",... But you're far from being stupid.

So don't try to play with me Hashemite.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »

The weird things is that Atlas loves Mary Landrieu and Mary Pryor but hate Blanche Lincoln when there's no significant difference between the three useless Blue Dogs.

Landrieu, yes. Pryor? Where were you months ago, when half of the Red Avatars here refused to endorse Pryor? So many people were going on about how he was doomed, and they were glad.

Oakvale doesn't seem concerned with reality, just with making ignorant declarations about forum consensus.

Sorry, I look forward to my own whiny PM about how you demand respect.

Globally what Badgate has said. There isn't a single thing that he has said that is true. Landrieu isn't Pryor or Lincoln. Pryor is badly hated on this forum. Landrieu isn't a useless blue dog.

And come on Oavale, stop being a fake leftist.
You're not a progressive, you're pro right to work, you're pro Reagan tax cuts, you seem to oppose minimum wage increase. Except on Keystone, she's more progressive than you.

A) "Right to work" is a position that's only right-wing in an American context. I really don't see what's remotely conservative about not forcing people to join labour unions. B) I'm pro some Reagan tax cuts. I'm not actually a believer in trickle-down nonsense. C) I don't oppose the minimum wage increase. I think the minimum wage in the United States is too low. What I would oppose is doubling it by raising it to $15 overnight.

I don't know if I'm "progressive" or whatever. I'm a left-winger who thinks that markets do a better job than government in 99% of cases. That's hardly a controversial position.

e: Of course I don't have an "ideology" or whatever because I'm not a politician, but right-wing policies are generally worse than left-wing policies, although the Left per se is more annoying than the Right.
That's not at all what right to work is
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »

All this said, I think it's a shame Louisiana won't have a progressive senator. They best they'll get is a fairly conservative Democrat like Landrieu.

I'm no fan of conservative Democrats, but we're not going to get anyone better from Louisiana.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »

Landrieu can also play up her family's influence in Louisiana.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2014, 01:33:38 PM »

I'm not surprised that Landrieu is so vulnerable.  It makes sense that she's more vulnerable than Mark Pryor, and I was surprised when it seemed the other way around.  Landrieu is further to the left than Pryor, and she's never won by very big margins.  Also, Louisiana is becoming more and more like the other Deep South states in terms of racial polarization between the Democrats and Republicans.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies