did Jesus of Nazareth believe in the imminent end of the space-time universe?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:47:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: did Jesus of Nazareth believe in the imminent end of the space-time universe?
yes

no

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 18

Author Topic: did Jesus of Nazareth believe in the imminent end of the space-time universe?  (Read 1147 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »

Other (Jesus wouldn't have used or thought in terms like 'space-time universe') (normal).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:00:44 PM »

Like Nathan, I don't believe Jesus knew or spoke of things that were alien to the people of his time.  However, one would assume that if Jesus had foreknowledge of such an event but refused to speak of it, then it obviously wasn't something meant to be shared with mankind.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »

Like Nathan, I don't believe Jesus knew or spoke of things that were alien to the people of his time.  However, one would assume that if Jesus had foreknowledge of such an event but refused to speak of it, then it obviously wasn't something meant to be shared with mankind.

I'm attempting to make the question rely on your interpretation of phrases like "Kingdom of God" and "this generation shall not pass".
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »

I'm attempting to make the question rely on your interpretation of phrases like "Kingdom of God" and "this generation shall not pass".

I don't think that was his point.  Jesus' teachings are timeless.  In fact, the central message of his teachings was that all you need lies within you and that the "Kingdom of God" is not something people will be able to see and point to.  So, you need not concern yourself with what will happen to the universe or when it will happen because none of those things have any bearing on what he taught.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:25 PM »

I don't know or particularly care. Assuming He was the Son of God, He likely believed whatever will happen, whatever that happens to be. Assuming He was but a prophet, whatevs. Assuming He was a crazy man, very likely. Assuming He was just a dude, then who knows?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »

Given that the glorious divine kingdom of New Jerusalem where all the saved would be resurrected with incorruptible flesh described in the Revelation of John was very much terrestrial (more a "heavenly meets the terrestrial" than a separate heavenly realm), the New Testament as a whole clearly doesn't think that the universe ends with the establishment of Christ's kingdom on Earth.

As for Jesus himself, while it's less clear, the end of the old order of the world did necessarily imply the end of the physical world, and I doubt he'd have thought of it in those terms.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 02:20:29 PM »

Jesus' space-time probably ended on April 3,  33.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
« Edited: May 14, 2014, 08:22:03 AM by OC »

The point of theology is to teach the incarnation of the soul. Life is eternal. Whether incarnation in another body or a spirit, theology gives you a vessel for conflict resolution.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 10:52:27 AM »

I knew exactly who made this thread before clicking it.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:20:18 PM »

He most likely thought of something like it (D, normal).
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 05:23:45 PM »

It seems to me that Jesus believed the Kingdom of God would be established on earth very soon after his death and reported resurrection.  Either he believed this himself or the earliest writers who wrote evangelical biographies of him thought he believed it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 07:47:47 PM »

It seems to me that Jesus believed the Kingdom of God would be established on earth very soon after his death and reported resurrection.  Either he believed this himself or the earliest writers who wrote evangelical biographies of him thought he believed it.

Absolutely, but the establishment of the Kingdom of Heaven was certainly not the end of the space-time universe, it was moving into a new phase where people (who were not judged and damned in the Final Judgement) would live forever under Jesus' beneficent government.  "And his kingdom will endure forever" etc.  There's no end involved, it's a transition or a new beginning.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies