Where should the next NHL teams be?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:34:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Where should the next NHL teams be?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Where should the next NHL teams be?
Quebec City

Toronto (2nd team)

Hamilton

Montreal (2nd team)

Las Vegas

Seattle

Kansas City

Houston

Atlanta

Hartford

Saskatoon

Europe (in general)

Other (specify)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Where should the next NHL teams be?  (Read 3844 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 07, 2014, 06:55:19 PM »

Since all the cool kids are doing it.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »

Voted Seattle. Wouldn't mind Quebec. Still feel bad for Atlanta hockey fans.

Europe is a dream. Unlike dreamed NFL or MLB expansion, way too much competition from their many home-grown leagues.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:13:55 PM »

Also, anyone who doesn't say Quebec City (or at least a Canadian city) should (figuratively) diaf.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »

Also, anyone who doesn't say Quebec City (or at least a Canadian city) should (figuratively) diaf.

Where beyond Quebec? I don't like the idea of Toronto or Montreal having a second team (could either support it, especially Montreal?). The remaining choices are Hamilton, which is probably too small a metro area to support an NHL team, and Saskatoon which is definitely not viable.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:25:59 PM »

Where beyond Quebec? I don't like the idea of Toronto or Montreal having a second team (could either support it, especially Montreal?). The remaining choices are Hamilton, which is probably too small a metro area to support an NHL team, and Saskatoon which is definitely not viable.

Hamilton is about the size of Winnipeg, but is close enough to other mid-sized cities. One thing to remember is that this is Canada, and even a small market would make much more money than a large US sun belt market. (look at Winnipeg).

Plus, if NYC can have three teams, and LA of all places can have two teams, why shouldn't Toronto get a second team? The average Torontonian never gets to go to Leafs games, because they are always sold out. Mostly only the wealthy can manage to get tickets. (That's why so many Leafs fans make the trip to other cities to see the Leafs). There is a huge market for a second team in Toronto.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 08:34:02 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2014, 08:38:22 PM by Badger »

Hamilton is about the size of Winnipeg, but is close enough to other mid-sized cities. One thing to remember is that this is Canada, and even a small market would make much more money than a large US sun belt market. (look at Winnipeg).

Plus, if NYC can have three teams, and LA of all places can have two teams, why shouldn't Toronto get a second team? The average Torontonian never gets to go to Leafs games, because they are always sold out. Mostly only the wealthy can manage to get tickets. (That's why so many Leafs fans make the trip to other cities to see the Leafs). There is a huge market for a second team in Toronto.

Incisive and persuasive. I knew Hamilton had a number of mid-sized (by Canadian standards Tongue) cities nearby, but I didn't realize the city itself was about the size of Winnipeg.

My only quibble is LA =/= Anaheim. Wink

But wait a minute, I remember seeing the Marlies play at home against Lake Erie on TV some months ago, and noticed it was woefully unattended game. I realize it's only AHL and just one game I saw, but how's their attendence? That may be at least somewhat indicative of how a second NHL team would do, right?

Checked Wiki, and there seems to have historically been some issues with Marlies attendence, so...
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 09:26:24 PM »

Anywhere in Canada, Anchorage
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 10:44:09 PM »

Other: Milwaukee

Seriously, why don't we have a team?

Of your options in order: Quebec City, Seattle and Toronto. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »

Could Quebec really support one? My research says it's comparable size to cities like McAllen, TX, and Allentown, PA.

If so, then Quebec and Seattle seems like a pretty obvious pair.. If not, then I'd give the second team to Houston, a huge metro with a lot of transplants -- if Dallas can support a team well, Houston should be able to too.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »

Could Quebec really support one? My research says it's comparable size to cities like McAllen, TX, and Allentown, PA.

McAllen and Allentown have 100k inhabitants. Quebec City is at 500k + 100k in Lévis. And all Eastern Quebec (+ remotes parts of the West) would support them.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 01:29:46 AM »

Quebec.

The Islanders should have moved to Hartford though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:16 AM »

Incisive and persuasive. I knew Hamilton had a number of mid-sized (by Canadian standards Tongue) cities nearby, but I didn't realize the city itself was about the size of Winnipeg.

But wait a minute, I remember seeing the Marlies play at home against Lake Erie on TV some months ago, and noticed it was woefully unattended game. I realize it's only AHL and just one game I saw, but how's their attendence? That may be at least somewhat indicative of how a second NHL team would do, right?

Checked Wiki, and there seems to have historically been some issues with Marlies attendence, so...

Toronto is notorious for not supporting minor league or junior league anything (the OHL has attempted to put junior teams in the Greater Toronto Area, and all have either moved or are struggling). A new NHL team wouldn't be minor league. From Facebook data, we know that only around 50% of hockey fans in Toronto are Leafs fans. That means the other 50% are up for grabs.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:27:24 AM »

I have morals, so I favor restoring the respective franchises in Quebec City and Hartford prior to expansion anywhere else.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 07:47:47 AM »

It would be nice for me if KC and Omaha could share a team again, but that's not going to happen and wouldn't work if it did.  Personally I'd rather see contraction instead of expansion, but if we must add teams (or better yet, move some of the southern teams back north) I'd be cool with Toronto getting another team, Hamilton makes sense, it would be nice to have the Whale back in Hartford, the Blues were going to move to Saskatoon once so phuque that place in it's goat ass.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »

I don't support expansion, but we should be moving some of the sun belt teams. The most deserving places IMO are:

1) Quebec City
2) 2nd Toronto team
3) Hartford
4) Seattle

Actually, that would be a pretty good start. Move the Florida teams, Phoenix, & Nashville/Carolina out of there and then we can see where it goes from there.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »

Anywhere but Canada
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2014, 08:34:17 AM »

Can anyone explain to me why Wisconsin/Milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team? To me this has always seemed like an oversight compared to other cities with teams.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:49 AM »

I don't think Halifax could support an NHL team.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

Toronto is notorious for not supporting minor league or junior league anything (the OHL has attempted to put junior teams in the Greater Toronto Area, and all have either moved or are struggling). A new NHL team wouldn't be minor league. From Facebook data, we know that only around 50% of hockey fans in Toronto are Leafs fans. That means the other 50% are up for grabs.

Interesting. I guess I can understand that dynamic. It's almost the reverse of Columbus-area football: People don't care that much for NFL football as they rabidly back the Bucks.

If the market is there as you say, what do you think the holdback to a second team has been?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2014, 11:25:16 AM »

Just remembering it is important hockey town.

"Town", not a city relative to other options. That's the key.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »

Interesting. I guess I can understand that dynamic. It's almost the reverse of Columbus-area football: People don't care that much for NFL football as they rabidly back the Bucks.

If the market is there as you say, what do you think the holdback to a second team has been?

The Toronto Maple Leafs. (organization that is, they don't want the competition).

Just remembering it is important hockey town.

"Town", not a city relative to other options. That's the key.

Actually, it's a "regional municipality".  Halifax might be able to support a team, but their arena only holds 10K. It certainly would do better than some of the sun belt teams.

I wish the NHL would've let Pittsburgh move to Hamilton 10 years ago Sad

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

Given that Pittsburgh is pretty much the single best city for hockey in America, basically along with Buffalo the only one whose proportionate level of fandom rivals Canadian cities... that would have been a horrible idea.  Yes, Hamilton probably ought to have a team.  It really really oughtn't be the Pens though.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2014, 01:10:06 PM »

Given that Pittsburgh is pretty much the single best city for hockey in America, basically along with Buffalo the only one whose proportionate level of fandom rivals Canadian cities... that would have been a horrible idea.  Yes, Hamilton probably ought to have a team.  It really really oughtn't be the Pens though.

Between the Lemieux are and the Crosby era, no one care about the Pens.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2014, 01:31:50 PM »

Riyadh, KSA (I vaguely remember something about some expats' hockey team called the 'Scorpions' or something lame)
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2014, 02:35:48 PM »

Between the Lemieux are and the Crosby era, no one care about the Pens.

By that standard every NHL team in the US (except maybe Buffalo) should just move to Canada, since they're all going to suffer in attendance and TV ratings if they suck.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies