COMEBACK OF THE CENTURY: Former Governor Jim McGreevey (D-NJ)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  COMEBACK OF THE CENTURY: Former Governor Jim McGreevey (D-NJ)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: COMEBACK OF THE CENTURY: Former Governor Jim McGreevey (D-NJ)  (Read 4518 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2014, 10:13:18 PM »

…stay tuned, folks!

TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »

Oh my God !
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »

Anyone want to place bets that this will never be completed?
rpryor03
Bahamas

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 08:28:47 AM »

Oh, yes.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:36 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2014, 12:06:33 PM by Progressive »

PROJECTION

9:30 pm - OCTOBER 16, 2013

NEWARK MAYOR CORY BOOKER IS ELECTED TO REPLACE THE LATE FRANK LAUTENBERG

10:00am - OCTOBER 17, 2013

BREAKING NEWS

According to the Newark Star Ledger, U.S. Senator Bob Menendez, Democrat from New Jersey, has been indicted in connection with a federal corruption probe. U.S. Attorney Paul J. Fishman will hold a news conference at noon outlining the details of the arrest.

New Jersey's political world has been sent in a tailspin. Some experts and analysts predict that Senator Menendez will be forced to resign, and Gov. Christie may call a special election. Stay tuned!
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »

I wonder if Christie would talk Christine Todd Whitman into running for Menendez's Senate seat?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 12:43:12 PM »

10:00am Friday , October 18, 2013

U.S. SENATOR BOB MENENDEZ (D-NJ) TO RESIGN AMID INDICTMENT IN CORRUPTION PROBE

"My fellow New Jersians: I do not agree with the decision by the U.S. Attorney, but I respect the judicial process. I am confident that I will be exonerated of all charges, and that this political witch hunt come to an end. But for now, the great state of New Jersey deserves to free from this drama. And for this reason, I have made the painful decision to step down as your senior senator."

REPORTS: GOV. CHRIS CHRISTIE WILL NOT CALL A SPECIAL ELECTION, WILL ANNOUNCE APPOINTMENT NEXT WEEK

News 12 New Jersey Breaking News: Gov. Chris Christie (R-NJ) will announce his decision to replace disgraced former Senator Bob Menendez next week, with sources close to the governor saying that a special election will not be called, and that the Governor will appoint someone who may seek re-election during the 2014 election cycle.

Rumored replacements include:

*Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno
*Former Governor and EPA Administrator Christine Todd Whitman
*State Senator Thomas Kean, Jr.
*State Senator Joe Kyrillos
*Assembly Minority Whip Jon Bramnick
*U.S. Representative Chris Smith
*U.S. Representative Frank LoBondio
*Hurricane Sandy Recovery Czar Marc Ferzan
*Former U.S. Senator and Attorney General of NJ, Jeffrey Chiesa

Meanwhile, former special election Senate candidate Steve Lonegan, and a slew of other Republican local officials have pitched their names as potential contenders, even in a primary election.

Democrats, in a scramble, released the names of a number of individuals considering running against Christie's choice in November 2014:

*U.S. Representative Frank Pallone
*U.S. Representative Steve Holt
*U.S. Representative Donald Payne, Jr
*Former U.S. Representative Steve Rothman
*Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer
*State Senate President Stephen Sweeney
*State Senator Loretta Weinberg
*Former Governor Richard Codey
*Deputy Assembly Speaker Upendra J. Chivukula

…Stay tuned, some candidates will be announcing shortly Wink
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 11:12:28 AM »

The Republicans

Noon, Saturday October 19, 2013

Conversation between Gov. Christie and his top aide, Michael DuHaime.

DuHaime: Chris, what's the deal? Whitman says she's up to it as long as you back her in the primary and obviously in the general. NRSC calling me all day, pain in my neck, urging you to choose her.

Christie: Mike she's going to upstage me. She's gonna be the hit if I appoint her. It's too close my to reelection for her to be the big story. Why don't I just go with Joe [Kyrillos]. He's a state senator. He ran once before. He's always been good to us, he…

DuHaime: [Sen. and NRSC head Jerry] Moran said not to choose someone who has lost office before. All the pro-life groups are urging Chris Smith but the NRCC doesn't wanna' lose someone in the house. Go with Whitman. Or appoint Kim, but that's tricky around election time.

Christie: I don't give a @!$# about what the NRSC says. I'm not ruining our brand. What about Ferzan?

DuHaime: The Sandy guy?

Christie: He's my top aide for storm recovery. Come on think about it. Who's gonna' say he hasn't helped Jersey and besides, just like veterans, everyone likes someone who helped during Sandy.

DuHaime: I'll ask the NRSC what they…

Christie: Don't ask. Tell them he's our guy.

Noon, Monday, October 21, 2013

BREAKING NEWS: GOV. CHRISTIE APPOINTS SANDY RECOVERY CZAR MARC FERZAN TO THE U.S. SENATE

Marc Ferzan: Thank you Gov. Christie so much for this opportunity to continue to serve the people of New Jersey. When Hurricane Sandy hit our great state, I served proudly under Gov. Christie's leadership to ensure that the people of New Jersey were not forgotten. As an assistant attorney general, I prosecuted Sandy swindlers and criminal thugs. I'm a born fighter, and I'm ready to take the fight to the U.S. Senate. I am also proud that I will be a candidate to retain my Senate seat for the 2014 election.

PolitickerNJ: Newly minted Sen. Marc Ferzan will announce his campaign apparatus in a few weeks. The NRSC and RNC are allegedly extremely displeased with Christie but will work with Ferzan to ensure he's ready for what will likely be a brutal campaign season--against both Republicans and Democrats. Meanwhile, a source close to Sen. Moran had this to say, "I don't think even people in NJ have ever heard of this guy. But Jerry [Moran] is going to do what he can to keep him in the Senate. We don't want a primary."

A PolitickerNJ source has confirmed that conservative groups are looking to push a more right-wing candidate such as Rep. Chris Smith into the race. In a morning interview with Fox 5 NY, Sen. Ferzan described himself as a "moderate, common sense Republican," in favor of civil unions and abortions if a mother's health and well-being is in danger. Rep. Smith, Co-Chair of the House Pro-Life Caucus described Ferzan's position on abortion as "disturbing and inconsistent with what Jersey conservatives want."

The Democrats

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer announced her campaign with the backing of EMILY's List.

U.S. Rep. Rush Holt says that he will not run for the Senate seat and will retire in 2014 at the end of his term.

In a meeting with minority elected officials, Newark Councilman Anibal Ramos, Jr. said that there needs to be an unconventional choice for the Senate. "I like Dawn a lot," said Ramos to his colleagues. "But Christie is gonna' go all in for Ferzan, and he's outpolling her right now."

An internal poll for the DSCC shows Sen. Marc Ferzan trailing a "generic Democrat" by just one point. 38% Ferzan - 37% Generic Democrat.    37% Ferzan - 33% Dawn Zimmer

Wednesday, October 23, 2013
MAUREEN DOWD OP-ED: NEW JERSEY DEMOCRATS, DO SOME SOUL SEARCHING

It's time for New Jersey Democrats to do some soul searching. Bob Menendez, guilty or not, now represents the ugly in politics. Democrats need someone to heal the State and the Senate, if they want to take back this seat. Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, once disgraced and now reborn, could earn Democrats some healing credit.

Monday, October 28, 2013

Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund Email: SENATOR JIM MCGREEVEY?

The LGBT political institute is drafting a petition to convince the former governor to run for the seat. STAY TUNED Cheesy
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:06:03 AM »

Are those the Christie tapes ? Lol.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 02:34:20 PM »

Election Night, November 5, 2013

The Republicans

CHRISTIE WINS LANDSLIDE REELECTION

Politico: Gov. Christie thanked his family, the people of New Jersey, his Lt. Governor Kim Guadagno, and newly minted Sen. Marc Ferzan for their help in his unprecedented reelection. "On to the next race, to keep our great senator, Marc Ferzan in the Senate!" belted Christie at the end of his reelection speech.

NJ.com: Meanwhile, U.S. Rep. Chris Smith has reportedly told national conservative organizations such as Americans for Prosperity, the Heritage Foundation, and others that he will challenge Ferzan to give Republicans a "credible but conservative" choice for the U.S Senate. Smith, whose House found has about $300,000 on hand, released two internal polls to the NRSC and top conservative leaders in a memo:

ATTN: NRSC and the Hon. Senator Jerry Moran
Subject: Change Course

GOP Pollster Confirms Ferzan's Weak Position, Smith in Lead

Choice of NJ Republicans (805, 10/31-11/5)

Chris Smith: 35%
Marc Ferzan: 31%

Experienced Member of Congress: 36%
Newly appointed Sen. Ferzan:       29%

Smith represents Central Jersey, from Trenton to the Jersey Shore (Point Pleasant area), and has relatively high name recognition among Republicans likely to vote.

The Democrats

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Meanwhile, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, an ally of former Gov. Jim McGreevey has publicly announced that he will encourage the former governor to run for the open Senate seat.

"You know how they have Ready for Hillary?" joked Fulop to an Asbury Park Press reporter, "well I'm ready for Jim. I know if he runs, New Jersey progressives will unite behind him."

And polling shows that this could be a possibility:

NYTimes Poll: (700 Democrats in NJ 11/1-11/5)
Former Gov. Jim McGreevey            16%
Former Gov. Richard Codey             11%
State Sen. Barbara Buono               11%
U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone                   10%
Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer         8%
Former U.S. Rep. Steve Rothman    8%
State Senator Loretta Weinberg       7%
U.S. Rep. Donald Payne, Jr.              7%
Former L.G. Candidate Milly Silva     6%
Undecided                                     16%

Headlines from local newspapers:

New York Post: "Disgraced McGreevey Leads Pack of Democrats to Replace Menendez

Newark Star-Ledger: "McGreevey, Not Yet a Candidate, Tops Opponents in Democratic Poll"

The New Jersey Herald: "NJ Dems to Buono: Get Lost; McGreevey, Come Back"

The New York Times: "A Handful of Candidates Declared, McGreevey Leads Potential Democratic Challengers"

Stay tuned, as other Democrats will jump in the race.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

The Republicans

SMITH TO FERZAN: SAY GOODBYE TO WASHINGTON

At a rally in Trenton, NJ, U.S. Representative Chris Smith announced his run for the U.S. Senate, challenging appoint U.S. Senator Marc Ferzan in what is expected to be a brutal primary. Smith, standing alongside U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz and other conservative figures in New Jersey talked fiscal responsibility and low taxes, and touched on abortion and same-sex marriage.

"Marc Ferzan, boy he's a nice guy, and I thank him for helping out a bit during Sandy. But New Jersey deserves someone who will kick high taxes to the curb and stop forcing religious organizations to embrace the Obama agenda," said Smith to applause from nearly 500 supporters.

In a private conversation between Smith and NRSC Director Sen. Jerry Moran:

Smith: Jerry I appreciate our meetings. There's some shady $%!& going on with Christie and Ferzan is going to be tied to Christie no matter what.

Moran: What's shady, Chris? Ferzan is going to get support for his ties with Christie. If you want to walk around with Ted [Cruz] then fine, but unless you can send us concrete stuff proving Ferzan is about to walk off the deep end then we can't help you.

PolitickerNJ: Meanwhile, Sen. Ferzan has racked up endorsements from key Christie supporters such as State Sen. Joe Kyrillos and Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno. Ferzan is brushing off Smith's challenge as a "threat from the fringe of the party" that would "never, in a million years, get 40% in a general election"

NRSC Internal Poll: (450 NJ Republicans, 11/5-11/10)

Smith:     34%
Ferzan:    29%

Generic D:  39%
Smith:       37%

Generic D:  38%
Ferzan:      33%

The Democrats

ROTHMAN, SILVA JUMP IN. BUONO, WEINBERG SIT RACE OUT

The New York Times: Former U.S. Congressman Steve Rothman (D-Englewood), who lost to former colleague Bill Pascrell 61%-39% in a primary election in 2012 will run for the open U.S. Senate seat. Rothman, 61, served in the House of Representatives for eight terms, served as mayor of Englewood, and is known for his staunch opposition to Bush tax cuts.

Milly Silva, the executive vice president of the health care workers union, 1199 SEIU, was the Democratic candidate for Lt. Gov. under State Sen. Barbara Buono. Silva's campaign launch took place in Newark, where she was accompanied with and endorsed by Barbara Buono.

Former U.S. Representative Steven Rothman tours Bergen County on his campaign kickoff.

Labor leader Milly Silva is endorsed by State Sen. Barbara Buono.

PolitickerNJ: U.S. Senator from Wisconsin Tammy Baldwin is allegedly lobbying former Gov. Jim McGreevey to enter the race for U.S. Senate. McGreevey, who would enter the race as an instant front-runner according to polls (see below), is being encouraged to run by Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, members of the Jersey City Council, and community leaders in Newark, Trenton, Jersey City, and Camden. McGreevey, who now works with ex-cons and returning citizens to attain jobs, resigned in 2004 over an extramarital affair. He now lives with his partner in Plainfield, NJ.

PPP Poll
U.S. Senate: 435 NJ Likely Democratic Voters (11/6-11/10)

Jim McGreevey:     19%
Frank Pallone:       13%
Richard Codey:      11%
Steve Rothman:    11%
Dawn Zimmer:      11%
Donald Payne, Jr:   9%
Milly Silva:             9%
Remainder: undecided

Internal Survey: DSCC: 735 Likely NJ Democratic Voters (11/09-11/12)

Jim McGreevey:    21%
Frank Pallone:      14%
Dawn Zimmer:     14%
Donald Payne, Jr:  11%
Richard Codey:      11%
Steve Rothman:    10%
Milly Silva:             8%
Remainder: undecided
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:22:23 AM »

Would U.S. Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) get involved by making an endorsement in this race ?
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »

Monday, December 2, 2013

The Republicans

The Republican candidates for U.S. Senate, Senator Marc Ferzan and U.S. Representative Chris Smith debated last night at Rutger's University for News 12 New Jersey. Here are some memorable lines.

Ferzan: "Congressman Smith serves his constituents well. But we need a U.S. Senator who can represent ALL of New Jersey, not just certain factions. I'm asking for your vote to take the New Jersey Republican Party to another level."

"I am the tested candidate in the race. When Sandy struck our state, I went to work for Gov. Christie and the people of New Jersey."

"i am PROUD to be endorsed by Gov. Christie and Lt. Gov. Guadagno. These are our state's great leaders  and I am honored to be among them."

Smith: "Senator Ferzan, I think that's his name, was palling around in Manhattan under Sandy struck, and when he got paid to lead the effort, he did his job. Kudos on that front. But it doesn't earn you a U.S. Senate seat, in my book."

"We already had a liberal in the U.S. Senate. Bob Menendez. Look what he's done. I think my opponent should be in a primary fight with the other guys."

NEW ENDORSEMENTS

Ferzan
Gov. Christie
Lt. Gov. Guadagno
Former Gov. Whitman
Former New York Sen. Al D'Amato
Former Sen. Scott Brown
Sen. Kelly Ayotte
Former Sen. Joe Lieberman
State Sen. Thomas Kean, Jr.
State Sen. Joe Kyrillos
Assemblyman Jon Bramnick

Smith
U.S. Representative Frank LoBiondo
U.S. Representative Rodney Frelinghuysen
Sen. Rand Paul
Sen. Ted Cruz
Sen. Marco Rubio
Former NY Gov. George Pataki
Former Bush aide Paul Wolfowitz
Talk show host Michael Savage
Activist Steve Lonegan
Activist Paul Danielczyk
Activist Liz Cheney

CNN Poll of Registered NJ GOP Voters (11/25-12/1)

Chris Smith:   40%
Marc Ferzan:  35%

….stay tuned for the moment we've been waiting for!!!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »

Chris Smith is noted for being an economic moderate and a staunch social conservative. Why would Rand Paul endorse Chris Smith? He is much of a Huckabee candidate.

Besides that, this seems pretty decent.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:48 PM »

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 PART ONE

The Democrats

Debate Night: Declared Candidates

Participants:

Former U.S. Rep. Steve Rothman
Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer
Labor leader Milly Silva
Former Menendez Chief of Staff Danny O'Brien

Invited but did not attend:

New Jersey State Senator and former Atlantic City Mayor Jim Whelan (has announced exploratory committee)

Just before the debate, former Gov. Jim McGreevey said that he "would consider the possibility of running" for the U.S. Senate seat via phone interview to MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell. Naturally, much of the debate involved questions and opinions on former Gov. McGreevey. Here are some notable responses from each of the candidates.

Rothman: I think he's doing a lot of good right now in Jersey City, but this seat is open in the first place because of a resignation. McGreevey running will hurt us in the [general election] and what New Jersey voters want is a fresh start.

Zimmer: I respect the former governor, but this is the time to reflect on New Jersey's unfortunate and long history of corrupt officials. I am no career politician. I welcome anyone to the debate, but we can't forget that the former governor resigned and caused a major raucous in our state.

Silva: I am not focused on hypotheticals. This is a democracy and anyone can run. I will be the best U.S. senator because I am in touch with working people and will deliver on promises made in this campaign.

O'Brien: With all due respect to everyone on this stage, and to the former governor, the people of New Jersey are sick of career politicians and opportunity seekers. We need someone in this seat who is more than a "talker" but is a "doer."

Meanwhile, on a post-debate interview, Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer came out swinging against a possible McGreevey candidacy.

"Remember when Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer entered their races out in New York? The whole election was turned on its head, and focused on extramarital affairs, sex, and inappropriate relationships. More than ever we need to focus on ethics and on the issues. I ask the people of New Jersey, and particularly the women of New Jersey, to reject distractions in this race."

Meanwhile, the Gay and Lesbian Victory Fund came out swinging against Zimmer, accusing her of comparing gay relationships to the "indiscretions and disgrace of Anthony Weiner."

New Jersey Assemblyman Tim Eustace and Chatham, NJ Mayor Bruce Harris, both gay elected officials and leaders of the Draft McGreevey movement issued a joint statement calling on Zimmer to not only drop out of the race but resign as Hoboken mayor.

"I have ALWAYS been in full support of LGBT rights," responded Zimmer.

PART TWO coming soon

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 02:15:15 PM »

January 2, 2014

The Democrats

A conversation between Jim McGreevey and labor leader/Rutgers professor Carla Katz.

McGreevey: Carla I think I'm ready to announce this week. I spoke with Steve (Fulop) and he said that we could roll out a bunch of endorsements early on and…

Katz: Jim don't do anything yet. Please. All I'm hearing is that Trenton is going to be on fire soon with all sorts of allegations and…

McGreevey: I've been hearing that for weeks, what's the deal?

Katz: I don't know but keep fanning the flames and don't make anything official just yet.

Meanwhile…

PALLONE WILL NOT RUN FOR SENATE

U.S. Representative Frank Pallone, who finished a distant second to Cory Booker in the race to replace Frank Lautenberg, will not seek the open Senate seat this time around. Pallone will run for re-election in his current Jersey Shore based House seat. The DSCC was hoping that a Pallone candidacy could derail McGreevey's chances in what is expected to be a crowded primary. Senator Michael Bennet of Colorado, the DSCC Chair, made a number of remarks praising McGreevey in the last few weeks, signaling a change of heart in the DSCC's recruitment efforts.

In an interview with ABC News, Bennet conceded that Menendez's indictment made "the field harder for Democrats."

The Republicans

A new poll commissioned by WNBC-New York shows Sen. Marc Ferzan, for the first time, leading challenger, U.S. Rep. Chris Smith.

Ferzan: 38%
Smith:  36%

NJ political analysts suggest that Ferzan's portrayal of Smith as a Tea Party supporter have hurt him in more moderate parts of the state.

New update coming soon.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »

Please keep this TL going.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 04:39:43 PM »

I will! Out of town until the weekend, that's when I'll re-update. Thanks for the support Smiley
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2014, 08:31:25 PM »

January 11, 2014

CNN: BRIDGE SCANDAL ROCKS CHRISTIE ADMINISTRATION--WHAT WAS FERZAN'S ROLE?

As the Fort Lee Bridge Scandal seems to have engulfed the Christie administration, all eyes are focused on appointed Sen. Marc Ferzan's role in the closure scandal. Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer is alleging that Ferzan pressured her and other mayors affected by Hurricane Sandy to endorse Gov. Christie for his 2013 re-election.

Sen. Ferzan, at the National Press Club: "I may have unintentionally encouraged local officials to join the slew of Democrats supporting Gov. Christie, but I in no way, shape, or form, allowed politics to disrupt my work for the people of New Jersey. Isn't it fitting that Mayor Zimmer, who just happens to be running against me, makes these accusations? Ask her about the political maneuverings around this incident."

Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer on CNN: "What's clear is that I have evidence that Marc Ferzan used his office to persuade Democratic mayors to endorse Christie. It wasn't as big of a deal because these actions are common in the wayward Christie administration. But now that this is tied to a catastrophic scandal, it's important for me to speak up."

Meanwhile, Dawn Zimmer's campaign released an e-mail quoting Sen. Ferzan:

" 'Dawn Zimmer is running against me.' Those are the words of right-wing senator Marc Ferzan. It's clear that Sen. Ferzan views Dawn as the top contender in this race."

Labor leader Milly Silva's campaign sends out an e-mail…the only wording is…

"I told you so!" with an option to contribute and volunteer. This funky email made headlines in the NJ political world.

Meanwhile, all-but-announced candidate Jim McGreevey called on Ferzan to "come forward with the truth." It is expected that when the scandal begins to wind down, he will announce his intentions. Part Two of this update will feature polling and comments from Chris Smith, Rothman, etc.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2014, 11:05:06 PM »

Let's see how the Bridgegate Scandal impacts the NJ Senate race.

Progressive
jro660

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Will update tomorrow or Friday. Moving out of my apartment this week, sorry!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2014, 04:17:25 PM »

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Democrats

MCGREEVEY ANNOUNCES SENATE BID AT LARGE RALLY IN JERSEY CITY

NY Times: Standing with his partner, Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop, and other locally elected officials, former Gov. Jim McGreevey announced his bid for U.S. Senate. "This is going to be one of the most important elections in New Jersey history," said the McGreevey who resigned in 2004 over infidelity with a man. "We need to enter a period of healing in our state. I am here to tell you that I have what it takes to restore the image of our great state, and take Jersey values to Washington, D.C."

Meanwhile, just hours after his announcement, a slew of endorsements come in for the former governor.

Construction & General Laborers’ Local 172 LiUNA:

"We are proud to stand with Governor McGreevey in his bid for the U.S. Senate. As Senator, he'll do what's best for the working people of New Jersey."

Jersey City Education Association:

"Jim McGreevey is ready to fight for education, better schools, and more resources for New Jersey's teachers. Let's send him to Washington!"

Meanwhile, here are the newest endorsements for the Democratic candidates:

McGreevey
Construction & General Laborers’ Local 172 LiUNA
Jersey City Education Association
Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund
Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop
Camden Mayor Dana Redd
U.S. Representative Donald Payne, Jr.
U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin
Former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell
…other local officials

Silva
1199 Service Employees International Union (SEIU)
Former U.S. Representative Dennis Kucinich
Former U.S. Senator Carol Moseley Braun
…several local officials

Rothman
Former U.S. Senator Robert Torricelli
Englewood Mayor Frank Huttle
Former NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg

Zimmer
EMILY's List
Women's Campaign Fund
Wayne Mayor Christopher Vergano
Fort Lee Mayor Mark Sokolich
Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto

O'Brien
Former U.S. Senator Bob Kerrey

*Jim Whelan ultimately decided not to run*

The Republicans

The Fort Lee bridge closure scandal has continued to dog Sen. Marc Ferzan. In an interview about his new colleague, U.S. Sen. John McCain called the accusations "very troubling." Meanwhile, Chris Smith has gained a great deal of traction in the latest polls…

News 12 New Jersey

Smith   40%
Ferzan  33%

…Smith also received the endorsement of the Senate Conservatives Fund. A number of New Jersey political analysts expect that if this scandal does indeed wind down and Ferzan is not further implicated, Smith's conservative credentials and endorsements may cause him to lose the primary in the end.

Stay tuned…next time, the first poll with McGreevey officially in the race.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »

Will update soon. Working a lot these days.
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 03:22:21 PM »

…sorry for the delay, life slowed me down.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Democrats

NY DAILY NEWS: DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES FOR SENATE POUNCE ON CHRISTIE; NJ REPUBLICANS

The 2014 Special Election for the U.S. Senate has been engulfed in the Fort Lee Bridge Closure scandal. Democrat have used the scandal to cloud out the controversy surrounding former Senator Menendez's indictment and resignation. Most buoyed by the scandal is Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer, whose city was targeted politically by the hands of Christie and aides.

Recent polls show Zimmer's name recognition reaching that of former Gov. McGreevey's.

Meanwhile, a number of women in Congress have announced their support for Zimmer's campaign, in light of her recent surge in the race. They include: U.S. Senator Patty Murray (D-WA) who rallied with Zimmer and locally elected officials and former U.S. Representative Jane Harman (D-CA).

Former Gov. Jim McGreevey, for his part, has picked up impressive labor support with the backing of all 20 of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters chapters in New Jersey, and CWA Communications Workers of New Jersey. McGreevey also received the endorsement of all five members of the Congressional Black Caucus' Leadership Board.

The campaigns of Milly Silva, Steve Rothman, Danny O'Brien have floundered, with Silva and Rothman in the high single-digits, and O'Brien in low single-digits.

NBC-Marist Poll February 14-17, 2014
McGreevey:   33%
Zimmer:        24%
Silva:             8%
Rothman:      8%
O'Brien:         3%

But just three months before the June 3 primary election, 24% of New Jersey Democrats remain undecided. New Jersey political experts predict that the field is frozen in place due to the 'Bridgegate Scandal.'

The Republicans

SMITH AND ALLIES CALL ON FERZAN TO END CAMPAIGN

U.S. Representative Chris Smith and his political allies have called on Senator Marc Ferzan to serve out his term and end his campaign.

Smith: "Mr. Ferzan's campaign is a distraction and this scandal is going to continue to bog down the people of New Jersey."

Meanwhile, rumors swirl that Gov. Christie's office is actively recruiting State Senator Joe Kyrillos or former Gov. Christine Todd Whitman to run should Ferzan step down. NRSC officials have been pushing Ferzan to end his campaign. Smith, a staunch conservative, is not considered electable, even during a Midterm election.

NBC-Marist Poll February 14-17, 2014
Smith:    32%
Ferzan:   24%

Ferzan's campaign explains that his dip in the polls is a result of "Chris Smith's smear tactics and attempts to derail the tremendous efforts of Gov. Christie and the New Jersey Republican Party."

A poll, supposedly sponsored by the NRSC, shows Whitman clobbering Smith and Ferzan in a poll, and Kyrillos beating both by single digits.

Stay tuned…!
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 06:26:26 PM »

Thinking of bringing this back. Thoughts?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies