Hillaryland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:59:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hillaryland
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hillaryland  (Read 581 times)
NickCT
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 14, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »

THE POLL LANDED with a thud on the table of the campaign bus. “Holy sh**t, we’ve got ‘em!” the triumphant candidate declared. “If we keep up our public appearances and keep up the ads, we’re going to win this. Let’s get in touch with our precinct captains and make sure they hear the news!” John Edwards beamed at the thought he may actually become the 44th president.

The Iowa Caucuses were just about a week away, and John Edwards had finally pulled ahead in the internal polling. He couldn’t wait to share the news with two longtime confidants, Kim Rubey and David Ginsberg when he saw them that night at dinner.

“I’m so glad you’re back to help us out,” John told them that night. “We’ve really needed you. We’re going to win this thing.”

Rubey and Ginsberg shared an uncomfortable look. “You’re what?” Rubey asked.

“We just did an internal poll, and I’m up. I’m ahead. If we can mobilize college voters as much as possible and keep our connections with the precincts we’ve traditionally done well in, I’m going to win the caucus and after that - well, Obama will have to drop out. It’s on to New Hampshire against Hillary.”

David Ginsberg couldn’t believe what he was hearing. Four years ago, he would have thought this was a dream come true. Now, he feared that Edwards could somehow win the nomination. The truth about Rielle Hunter would come out when he’d already won and the White House would go to Romney or McCain.

After dinner with Edwards, the two friends shared a drink at the hotel bar.

“We can’t let this happen, David,” Kim said. “If he wins Iowa, who knows how far this goes...”

“I know,” David admitted. “We owe it to the Party to come forward with what we know.”

Right there, at the hotel bar, Kim dialed a reporter at The New York Times. “Hey, it’s Kim Rubey. How are you? … Great. I have something for you on background. … Yes. … A source within the Edwards campaign is confirming the allegations that Rielle Hunter and John Edwards slept together. The kid is John’s not Young’s. … I know. … I know. … Hold on. Here’s your second source.” She handed the phone to David.

“Hi, there. David Ginsberg. … Yep, that David Ginsberg. … Kim’s right. He was seeing Hunter and the kid - the kid is his.”

~ * ~

ON THE MONDAY before the Iowa Caucuses, The New York Times ran the story with all of the details. Two sources within the Edwards campaign confirmed a timeline of events leading up to the candidate’s affair with Rielle Hunter, the staff’s efforts to prevent the affair from being picked up by larger news outlets, the pregnancy, how Andrew Young fell on the sword for Edwards. When asked to comment, Andrew Young said it was “definitely possible” he wasn’t the father, after previously claiming responsibility. The Edwards campaign refused to comment.

When the story went out online, it was seismic. Cable news picked it up immediately. The broadcast networks were more hesitant, leary of a story that originated in the National Enquirer. At the same time, the paper of record claimed to have two reliable sources within the campaign. That had to count for something.

Neither the Clinton nor the Obama campaigns were willing to talk about the story. They refused to comment, deferring to the Edwards team.

John was outraged. “How could someone do this to us?” he asked. “I can’t believe that with victory in sight, someone would  us over like this. I can’t believe this bullsh**t!”

Elizabeth Edwards was inconsolable. She refused to campaign any more for John and flew back to North Carolina. Her absence from the trail only raised suspicions. Edwards staffers tried desperately to get her to return to the trail, but it was to no avail. “If John wants me to campaign for him, he needs to come home and talk to me,” she yelled at one staffer. Edwards refused to leave Iowa, believing he could still win the caucuses.

The Edwards campaign continued to deny the allegations and shielded the candidate from the press. On the night before the caucuses, Edwards decided to admit to the affair but deny that the child was his. He sat down with CBS’ Katie Couric. “Two years ago, I made a grave mistake, and that mistake has hurt a lot of people I care about, especially Elizabeth, who remains the bravest woman I know.”

When Katie asked whether or not the child was his, Edwards was dismissive. “Katie,” he said sternly, “that question has been settled. Andrew Young is the father.”

Iowa caucus-goers were suspicious of Edwards, failing to buy his excuse that he was not the father of Rielle’s child. On January 3, 2008, Hillary Clinton won the Iowa Caucuses with 41.4% of the vote. Senator Barack Obama finished second with 39.6%. John Edwards finished a disappointing third, winning 15.7%. Realizing his career was over, John Edwards ended his presidential campaign that night in an emotional speech in Des Moines. Elizabeth joined him for the announcement.

###
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 03:44:30 PM »

Go on....
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99