CT-Quinnipiac: Malloy vs. Foley could go either way
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:48:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  CT-Quinnipiac: Malloy vs. Foley could go either way
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CT-Quinnipiac: Malloy vs. Foley could go either way  (Read 1150 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2014, 08:52:08 AM »

2. If the election for Governor were being held today, and the candidates were Tom Foley the Republican and Dan Malloy the Democrat, for whom would you vote?

43-43

From May 1 - 6, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,668 registered voters with a margin of error of +/- 2.4 percentage points. The survey includes 443 Republicans with a margin of error of +/- 4.7 percentage points. Live interviewers call landlines and cell phones.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/connecticut/release-detail?ReleaseID=2039
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:36:14 AM »

Great news!  Hope Foley can win.

Did Chris Shays decide not to run?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »

Malloy has a slightly positive approval rating though, 48-46.

I think this should be enough to survive in a highly Democratic state.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:04:48 AM »

Much stronger than Quinn in Illinois.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:16:41 AM »

Sure, if by a "highly Democratic state," you mean one where Malloy was the first Democrat elected governor in nearly a quarter century.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Seriously, the CT republican party is extremely effective (see my state senate PVI's thread). Malloy is clearly the favorite, but Foley has a decent chance to win.
Lean D
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 03:31:18 PM »

Seriously, the CT republican party is extremely effective (see my state senate PVI's thread). Malloy is clearly the favorite, but Foley has a decent chance to win.
Lean D

I think this is a fair assessment. Foley is a good candidate, but Dem heavy Connecticut may be enough for Malloy to get by.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

I think so.

I'd say this is at the very most Tilts D.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »

Shays hasn't shown any interest in running this time. He's too moderate for the state GOP.

Right now it's all about Tom Foley, State Senate Minority Leader John McKinney and Danbury Mayor Mark Boughton

McKinney is my favorite of the three. Foley is a nobody and too "old money Greenwich" for my taste. If he couldn't win in the landslide of 2010 I don't see how he wins now. He's been in absentia for the last three years.

Boughton has had numerous civil rights troubles with the police in Danbury, he's extremely anti-immigrant. Which isn't really a big issue in CT outside of East Haven.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:15:02 AM »

Malloy is getting 78% of Dems while Foley is almost maxed out with Republicans (90%). Dems will come home to Malloy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 10:27:05 AM »

Malloy is getting 78% of Dems while Foley is almost maxed out with Republicans (90%). Dems will come home to Malloy.

Yeah, this is why I think this race is Lean D
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 09:39:36 PM »

I think we are all overestimating Malloy here. Look how narrow his margin of victory was last time. With Lukewarm approval ratings and no extended voting in Bridgeport this time, I don't think he's looking so good.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 12:56:25 AM »

I think we are all overestimating Malloy here. Look how narrow his margin of victory was last time. With Lukewarm approval ratings and no extended voting in Bridgeport this time, I don't think he's looking so good.

Connecticut Democrats have actually been pretty aggressive on voting rights. CT will have online and same-day registration in 2014; neither of which were available in 2010.

Also that 2014 ballot referral: http://ballotpedia.org/Connecticut_Early_Voting_Amendment,_HJ_36_%282014%29
Free Bird
TheHawk
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.84, S: -5.48

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:36:54 AM »

Connecticut Democrats have actually been pretty aggressive on voting rights. CT will have online and same-day registration in 2014; neither of which were available in 2010.

Also that 2014 ballot referral: http://ballotpedia.org/Connecticut_Early_Voting_Amendment,_HJ_36_%282014%29

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm saying that Bridgeport and a few other heavily Dem areas stayed open past normal closing in 2010. Foley had a respectable lead most of the time until those extended votes were counted. With that not happening this time and Malloy not exactly well liked here, I'm saying Foley is being underestimated here. See everyone here not from CT goes by numbers. I first hand know what he has done and the attitude of people not surveyed.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 06:39:00 AM »

That's all fine and dandy, but I'm saying that Bridgeport and a few other heavily Dem areas stayed open past normal closing in 2010. Foley had a respectable lead most of the time until those extended votes were counted. With that not happening this time and Malloy not exactly well liked here, I'm saying Foley is being underestimated here. See everyone here not from CT goes by numbers. I first hand know what he has done and the attitude of people not surveyed.

Numbers are invariably better at predicting elections than hunches based off the opinions of a dozen people you happen to know.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 09:01:58 AM »

Sure, if by a "highly Democratic state," you mean one where Malloy was the first Democrat elected governor in nearly a quarter century.

I don't think that Shays was even considering a run. His massive primary loss to Linda McMahon in 2012 is a good indication that a moderate Republican, even in a Presidential election year, will struggle mightily to win his party's nomination.

Oldies, while you are correct to point out that Democrats have struggled to win the Governor's mansion, keep in mind that Democrats hold a gigantic advantage among registered voters here, no Republican has won election to a statewide office or Congressional seat since 2006, and that the Republican presidential nominee has been beaten in Connecticut by at least 10 points for the past five consecutive elections. The statement that this is a "heavily Democratic state" is not really up for dispute. That said, this will be a very close election, and I think that the margin of victory will once again be very small. The prescription for victory for Democrats is pretty simple - knock on every door in Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven and get those "urban" voters out to the polls.

I'll do my part for Democrats, as a newly registered Republican, by voting for Boughton in the primary. Grin
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 06:00:45 PM »

Why did you register as a Republican ...
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »

Why did you register as a Republican ...

So he can vote for Boughton Tongue
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 07:21:51 PM »

'Twas a joke. Good enough to seem credible, bad enough to be not funny.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 04:27:26 PM »

I don't think that Shays was even considering a run. His massive primary loss to Linda McMahon in 2012 is a good indication that a moderate Republican, even in a Presidential election year, will struggle mightily to win his party's nomination.

Oldies, while you are correct to point out that Democrats have struggled to win the Governor's mansion, keep in mind that Democrats hold a gigantic advantage among registered voters here, no Republican has won election to a statewide office or Congressional seat since 2006, and that the Republican presidential nominee has been beaten in Connecticut by at least 10 points for the past five consecutive elections. The statement that this is a "heavily Democratic state" is not really up for dispute. That said, this will be a very close election, and I think that the margin of victory will once again be very small. The prescription for victory for Democrats is pretty simple - knock on every door in Hartford, Bridgeport and New Haven and get those "urban" voters out to the polls.

I'll do my part for Democrats, as a newly registered Republican, by voting for Boughton in the primary. Grin
Go ahead and do that then, although I find that to be incredibly sneaky and underhanded (even more so than in open primary states.)
Plus, 2006 isn't really that long ago, especially if you consider how long different parties have had winning streaks in other states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies