Opinion of Prequel Trilogy Obi-Wan Kenobi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:08:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Prequel Trilogy Obi-Wan Kenobi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion Of McGregor's Kenobi?
FC

HC

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Opinion of Prequel Trilogy Obi-Wan Kenobi  (Read 794 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:16:23 PM »

I'm talking the Ewan McGregor version seen in Episodes 1, 2, & 3. I'd say FF. He did a great job and, along with Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn and Sam Jackson as Master Windu, was one of the better and more memorable parts of the prequel trilogy. I hope they bring him back in Episode 7.

NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:44:07 PM »

I guess the good news is he really isn't any different as a character than the Obi-Wan we see in Episode IV... I can see Ewan McGregor as an older Obi-Wan if they decided to do a reboot of episodes IV,V and IV.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 12:10:19 AM »

One of the truest characters in the prequels, also one of the most interesting stories (losing one's master and one's apprentice has to be scarring, I wouldn't be surprised that he was carrying some survivor's guilt on the Death Star knowing how the prequels panned out).
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 12:26:55 AM »

Everything in the prequels was garbage.  I don't necessarily blame all of the actors, but movies are complete garbage through and through.  The writing is pathetic. 
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 01:24:44 AM »

Ewan McGregor did great, but the part (like everything in the prequels) was poorly written.

Specifically in Phantom Menace, there was a ton of untapped story potential surrounding Obi Wan as the main protagonist. Instead Phantom had no focus, and when it did try to make Obi Wan the focus, it was fumbled.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:18:30 AM »

The least bad major character in the prequels. (Windu is, sadly, not really a 'major character'.)
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:39:16 AM »

His characterization didn't really make sense (which was the fault of the writing, not McGregor's acting), but he was still my favorite character in the prequels.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 08:45:31 AM »

I'm talking the Ewan McGregor version seen in Episodes 1, 2, & 3. I'd say FF. He did a great job and, along with Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn and Sam Jackson as Master Windu, was one of the better and more memorable parts of the prequel trilogy. I hope they bring him back in Episode 7.

I completely agree, but I don't see how they can bring him back for Episode VII. Despite what some of the prequel-haters have to say, I think Episode III is on par with the original trilogy. I rank it only below Episode V. For me, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, and Palpatine made the movie. This is probably one of my favourite scenes from the movie, though Yoda vs. Palpatine was very good as well.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 10:34:05 AM »

Instead of attempting to, you know, act (which he is actually capable of doing, as remarkable as that might seem sometimes) he tried to imitate the voice of Alec Guinness and failed utterly. Hilarious. Of course most of the acting in the prequel films was appalling and wooden,* even from people who aren't bad in general: this is normally a sign of diabolically awful directing. Let us not even mention the script.

Basically if you like any aspect of the Star Wars prequel films you have no taste.

*Ian McDiarmid still managed to ham it up in style though. What horrors were inflicted upon the young in Scottish regional theatre once?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 01:41:25 PM »

One of my favourite characters from the prequels. Was an influence upon my young (5-9 year old) self, along with Palpatine and the guy with the mitre whose name escapes me.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 12:41:25 PM »

Absolutely loved him.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »

I completely agree, but I don't see how they can bring him back for Episode VII. Despite what some of the prequel-haters have to say, I think Episode III is on par with the original trilogy. I rank it only below Episode V. For me, Obi-Wan, Mace Windu, and Palpatine made the movie. This is probably one of my favourite scenes from the movie, though Yoda vs. Palpatine was very good as well.

Only because it finally got on with what people were most interested in and wanted to see, and in that regard it was extremely poorly paced.

It makes me wonder if Lucas had any plan of how he was going to pace the story arc of the three prequels films or if he just winged it like he did with the original trilogy. What he desperately needed was script editors and critical feedback.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »

Everything in the prequels was garbage.  I don't necessarily blame all of the actors, but movies are complete garbage through and through.  The writing is pathetic. 

I don't totally agree. There were bright spots, and McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of them. So was Ian McDiarmid's portrayal of Palpatine. Of course, both would have benefited immensely had they been given better scripts to work with.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 12:42:00 PM »

I don't totally agree. There were bright spots, and McGregor's portrayal of Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of them. So was Ian McDiarmid's portrayal of Palpatine. Of course, both would have benefited immensely had they been given better scripts to work with.

I think there are zero characters in the prequels.  The jedis are just stoic, righteous guys who have magic powers and swords.  They have no apparent motivation and there's no reason to care about them.  He has no friends or relationships, he's just running around fighting and saying ridiculous lines of dialog.  I think maybe he seems like a good actor because the guy who plays Darth Vader is one of the worst actors I've ever seen.

The evil guy is just evil and it's unclear what his plan or motivation is.  The whole plot with his evil plan is just so convoluted that he's not threatening or interesting in the least.

In this original Star Wars movies, the characters have motivations, interactions and characters arcs.  That never happens in the prequels.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 06:52:43 PM »

FC.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies