Pennsylvania
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:15:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pennsylvania
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania  (Read 12321 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 23, 2005, 08:33:03 PM »

Just to add to my last post, obviously the Southwest Swing is not the only thing going on in PA.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »

hey, it may just be a rumor but I heard Kerry did something really objctionable.  He was in Philly, and he ordered a Philly cheese steak, but without the spices and the onions and light on chesse and everyone in the restaurant gave him a dirty look. May not be factual or anything, but makes for a funny story.  If it is factual, someone let me know. 

Anyways I expected Bush to win this state and was surprised when Kerry won it, partially because of the story above, partially because early on Bush extensively visited the state.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2005, 10:48:12 PM »

hey, it may just be a rumor but I heard Kerry did something really objctionable.  He was in Philly, and he ordered a Philly cheese steak, but without the spices and the onions and light on chesse and everyone in the restaurant gave him a dirty look. May not be factual or anything, but makes for a funny story.  If it is factual, someone let me know. 

Anyways I expected Bush to win this state and was surprised when Kerry won it, partially because of the story above, partially because early on Bush extensively visited the state.

Yes, Kerry made a big food mistake in the city. He asked for swiss cheese on a cheese steak. Not good.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2005, 03:58:21 AM »

Yes, Kerry made a big food mistake in the city. He asked for swiss cheese on a cheese steak. Not good.

Oh wow!  Kerry mistakenly orders Swiss.  Guess what?  HE WON THE CITY WITH 81% OF THE VOTE!!!!
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2005, 08:20:20 AM »

Oh wow!  Kerry mistakenly orders Swiss.  Guess what?  HE WON THE CITY WITH 81% OF THE VOTE!!!!

I don't know much about Philly politics but it seems like anyone with a (D) next to their name could get 80% of the vote in Philly.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2005, 12:30:54 PM »

You totally missed the point.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2005, 12:31:40 PM »

I don't know much about Philly politics but it seems like anyone with a (D) next to their name could get 80% of the vote in Philly.

Yeah. Thank you, MHS. Typical Philadelphia Democrat bragging about wins in a city that's about 80% Democratic.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »

Yeah. Thank you, MHS. Typical Philadelphia Democrat bragging about wins in a city that's about 80% Democratic.

Well, Street won the city with just slightly over 50% of the vote in 1999.  Ridge, in 1994, got 25%.  I would expect that in presidential races, the "basement" numbers might be 65%-70% for a popular, liberal Republican.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2005, 01:27:30 PM »

Well, Street won the city with just slightly over 50% of the vote in 1999.  Ridge, in 1994, got 25%.  I would expect that in presidential races, the "basement" numbers might be 65%-70% for a popular, liberal Republican.

But is the bragging necessary? In a city where they clearly have an overwhelming majority, these types of wins are expected. I can almost guarentee we'll see a few Democrats bragging when the Dems win the DA and City Comptroller races.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2005, 01:38:39 PM »

But is the bragging necessary? In a city where they clearly have an overwhelming majority, these types of wins are expected. I can almost guarentee we'll see a few Democrats bragging when the Dems win the DA and City Comptroller races.

I'm kind of scared of how well Democrats are doing in the cities.  Democrats keep going to the cities for more votes, but pretty soon the Democrats are going to run out of votes from these cities.  We need to go to the suburbs and rural areas for new votes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2005, 01:39:59 PM »

We need to go to the suburbs and rural areas for new votes.

Well, Democrats are going into Montgomery county out here in SE PA and are doing well. However, with their pickup of Montco, they're losing other areas out west.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2005, 04:50:54 PM »

I'm kind of scared of how well Democrats are doing in the cities.  Democrats keep going to the cities for more votes, but pretty soon the Democrats are going to run out of votes from these cities.  We need to go to the suburbs and rural areas for new votes.

Democrats have been doing well in inner suburbs. Kerry won some suburban counties in the bay area by over 40 points. Marin and San Mateo had voted for Ford in 1976.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2005, 07:28:15 PM »

Democrats have been doing well in inner suburbs. Kerry won some suburban counties in the bay area by over 40 points. Marin and San Mateo had voted for Ford in 1976.

Basically since 1991 or 1992, that has been the rule in SE PA*.  In 1986, Scranton, III actually carried SE against Casey, Sr.  In 1994, Ridge, hardly a rightwinger, lost the SE against Singel.

*SE any county that borders on any county that borders on Philadelphia, inclusive of those counties.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2005, 08:49:47 AM »

Speaking of ticket splitting, San Diego voted for Boxer and Bush. Has anyone figured that one out?

That still makes my head hurt...
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2005, 11:20:50 AM »

Speaking of ticket splitting, San Diego voted for Boxer and Bush. Has anyone figured that one out?

How did San Diego vote in 92  or 96??  Maybe they have just very strong ties to incumbents?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2005, 12:45:07 PM »

How did San Diego vote in 92  or 96??  Maybe they have just very strong ties to incumbents?

Boxer lost San Diego in 1998 by 3 points.
49% to 46%

Feinstein won San Diego in 2000 by 11 points 
52% to  41%

King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2005, 10:35:30 PM »

You have to remember that Jones only got 38% while Bush received 45%.  It is more of a landslide effect than a change in idealism (note Richard Nixon's win in Queens, NY).
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2005, 10:36:42 PM »

Boxer lost San Diego in 1998 by 3 points.
49% to 46%

Feinstein won San Diego in 2000 by 11 points 
52% to  41%

Again, Boxer received an actual challenger in 98 while Feinstein had token opposition.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies