Lumine's Election and Political Tracker (Epilogue) - Tracker Closed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:12:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lumine's Election and Political Tracker (Epilogue) - Tracker Closed
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]
Author Topic: Lumine's Election and Political Tracker (Epilogue) - Tracker Closed  (Read 23615 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: June 23, 2014, 01:00:31 PM »

I would prefer having our current PPT, he does an excellent job after all.

Now, if a Labor Senator was to be chosen as PPT I would certainly prefer Bore or Tyrion, they could do a good job and they could be impartial in most contexts as well. You will have to forgive me if I don't trust a man of such neutrality and moderation as the Senator from the Midwest to be our President Pro Tempore.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #276 on: June 23, 2014, 01:01:48 PM »

One imagines that a PPT TNF would simply allow the queues to be flooded by, well, TNF bills. There is currently some rather clever protocol that, somehow, pretty much prevents TNF from doing just that. How, I don't know.

Personally, if not Yankee, I'd be pretty interesting in seeing Adam Griffin in the role.

Griffin becoming PPT with mainly Federalist support would be something to see, but I'd be shocked if TNF isn't the next PPT.  And I don't know that they can really complain too much about it either given that it is largely their doing Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #277 on: June 23, 2014, 01:04:07 PM »

One imagines that a PPT TNF would simply allow the queues to be flooded by, well, TNF bills. There is currently some rather clever protocol that, somehow, pretty much prevents TNF from doing just that. How, I don't know.

Personally, if not Yankee, I'd be pretty interesting in seeing Adam Griffin in the role.

Griffin becoming PPT with mainly Federalist support would be something to see, but I'd be shocked if TNF isn't the next PPT.  And I don't know that they can really complain too much about it either given that it is largely their doing Tongue

I hope Hagrid is happy with PPT TNF
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #278 on: June 23, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »

It's nothing nefarious on the part of Yankee, and in fact TNF, if he became PPT would have to limit his own bills as well, due to the clogging rule (section 3).
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #279 on: June 23, 2014, 01:26:44 PM »

That was a consideration before I cast my vote, but thanks for being so concerned about my opinion. Smiley

Although I expect it will happen, I think it would be a mistake for DemPGH and windjammer to let this come to pass as one of their first moves in power. They know who it was that pushed them over the finish line, and to blatantly take a crap on those people right away would completely undermine their mandate for the next four months, poisoning the well for Labor candidates in the future. Still, I can accept some responsibility for it if need be. To see the whining that's gone on here in the last ~14 hours has assured me that I picked the right team.

At this juncture, DemPGH has the choice right out of the gate between a presidency that tanks like Napoleon's or one that sees good feelings in Atlasa like Marokai's. We'll see how it goes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #280 on: June 23, 2014, 01:36:20 PM »

It's nothing nefarious on the part of Yankee, and in fact TNF, if he became PPT would have to limit his own bills as well, due to the clogging rule (section 3).

One imagines that rule (to which I was referring) would be one of the first things to go out the window.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #281 on: June 23, 2014, 01:39:01 PM »

Whining? I made one comment Hagrid. Don't make me write love tales again!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #282 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »

One imagines that rule (to which I was referring) would be one of the first things to go out the window.

Errr.........

It's the law, not just precedent.

To get rid of it, it would need to be repealed by a majority vote of the senate which is just not going to happen.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #283 on: June 23, 2014, 01:45:46 PM »

I am aware. I distinctly recall that rule being derided by Labor Senators as the "anti-TNF rule" at the time. Are you saying that a Labor majority would not vote to repeal it?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #284 on: June 23, 2014, 01:47:02 PM »

I have some minor concerns about a Labor majority, but I don't see any reason to believe that TNF would be anything but a competent and fair PPT, even if only because he's a smart enough of a politician to recognise that abusing the position would be terrible politics.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #285 on: June 23, 2014, 01:50:18 PM »

I am aware. I distinctly recall that rule being derided by Labor Senators as the "anti-TNF rule" at the time. Are you saying that a Labor majority would not vote to repeal it?

You're confusing the clogging rule for a completely different one.

And I can categorically state that I would not vote for the clogging rule to be repealed.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #286 on: June 23, 2014, 01:59:04 PM »

The PPT does not get to make up the rules as he goes along.  

Honestly, TNF would not be my first pick from the Labor delegation to run for the position because his talents are better suited to a different focus. But the prospect of him serving as PPT shouldn't terrify anyone who understands how the Senate works.

I know that we've had someone to hold our hands for the past three years so that none of the rest of us need to bother thinking about the Senate's rules, but they're not that hard to read and they've been written to prevent abuse.

For my part, I largely agree with this.  I just find this entire situation rather amusing Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #287 on: June 23, 2014, 02:32:34 PM »

That was a consideration before I cast my vote, but thanks for being so concerned about my opinion. Smiley

Although I expect it will happen, I think it would be a mistake for DemPGH and windjammer to let this come to pass as one of their first moves in power. They know who it was that pushed them over the finish line, and to blatantly take a crap on those people right away would completely undermine their mandate for the next four months, poisoning the well for Labor candidates in the future. Still, I can accept some responsibility for it if need be. To see the whining that's gone on here in the last ~14 hours has assured me that I picked the right team.

At this juncture, DemPGH has the choice right out of the gate between a presidency that tanks like Napoleon's or one that sees good feelings in Atlasa like Marokai's. We'll see how it goes.
Lol @ everything said here.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2014, 03:52:52 PM »

Relax, everybody! PPT is a long way off and it's procedural. There's a lot to do before we get to that.

I'm not sure why it should automatically be Yankee's, however. I can understand objection to TNF, but I will say that he is the hardest working and most prolific senator we have. Look, a lot of things can happen between now and then - so let's deal with it when the time comes. Bore and Tyrion would obviously be great as well.

The speech it over with, so now it's cabinet time. Wink I'll post regarding it soon.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »

The PPT does not get to make up the rules as he goes along.  

Honestly, TNF would not be my first pick from the Labor delegation to run for the position because his talents are better suited to a different focus. But the prospect of him serving as PPT shouldn't terrify anyone who understands how the Senate works.

I know that we've had someone to hold our hands for the past three years so that none of the rest of us need to bother thinking about the Senate's rules, but they're not that hard to read and they've been written to prevent abuse.

Senate procedure shouldn't take anyone that isn't mentally deficient long to have a workable understanding of it.  That being said, there are ways in which the written procedure allows some avenue for partisan abuse, if those that manage the procedure understand it well enough.  Obviously, the position people should be worried about is Vice President, because I could have certainly abused the Senate a lot more and it would have been lawful to do so.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2014, 06:31:07 PM »

I'm flatly not interested in the position, mainly because I don't believe I'll have the time to do it justice right now.

As for all of this public speculation and suggestive foreshadowing: it's really useless, no, seeing how the new term hasn't even begun? Keep in mind that we legitimately didn't expect Tyrion to win as of even yesterday. Our party will consult with itself over the next two weeks and make a decision about what is best on a well-rounded basis for the game. Until then, save your breaths and your PMs.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #291 on: June 24, 2014, 11:38:39 PM »

DemPGH defeats SirNick, Labor wins (technically) control of the Senate: (Epilogue)
Reactions were registered from all sides, while the upcoming administration prepares:

June 25th:
The polls had showed a close race, but given Duke's electoral success against Labor by combining center and right, it was not that far-fetched to see SirNick having an edge on the voters. However, as the early results arrived it became evident that Federalists voters were surprisingly willing to vote for the Labor ticket, putting DemPGH in a massive lead. SirNick countered and fought back, narrowing the race and at one point almost achieving a breakthrough, but in the end he could not overcome DemPGH's lead and narrowly lost the second round 52% to 48%, making DemPGH and Windjammer the next President and Vice-President of Atlasia. In a turn few would have expected months ago, DemPGH showed a Nixon-like ability to stage a comeback (in a positive sense, of course), going from fourth place in October after the Labor Convention disaster to the efficient and respected Pacific Governor, and then to President. Windjammer's rise is surprising as well, but nobody can't deny the activity levels and the work of the VP-Elect in the Midwest, as the author witnessed for months.

The Senate elections were full of surprises from a certain point of view, even if all incumbents won. Tyrion and Bore barely won their respective races against strong challengers in Flo and Deus and Maxwell and RR1997 fought a brave battle and got close to TNF and Yankee. The Mideast was a massive victory for DC al Fine, but MadmanMotley didn't do so bad as well. When the smoke cleared, neither TPP nor the DR's were able to achieve their breakthrough, but with the August election starting soon (the campaign phase, I mean), they might very well give a few surprises soon. Either way, the Senate stands at five Laborites (+ VP Windjammer), four Federalists and one Democratic-Republican, so we can certainly expect a lot of ties for the next few weeks.

The Federalist Party took a hit for not having a candidate this election, as many voters (including elder party members and a good number of officeholders) crossed party lines to vote for DemPGH, a move that sparked heavy discussion and criticism (with Hagrid making a defense of his vote and feeling somewhat vindicated in the "outrage", for example) and the reexamination of the party itself. The Federalists have a huge challenge ahead of themselves, but as the second party of Atlasia they can most certainly avoid the destiny of the Liberals with some skill and effort from their members.

Either way, this does mark the end of an era.

Whether it's a good era, or a bad era, well, we'll have to wait and see!

(And this finally ends the tracker, after six or seven weeks. Rather fun, I must say, so I'll open the continuation right away!)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies