Elected to Statewide Office in 2014. National Ticket in 2016.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:39:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Elected to Statewide Office in 2014. National Ticket in 2016.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elected to Statewide Office in 2014. National Ticket in 2016.  (Read 2237 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2014, 03:46:20 PM »

Is there anyone running for major statewide office (Governor or Senator) who has a shot at being on a national ticket in 2016? I'm not counting the politicians seeking reelection this year (IE- Scott Walker, Andrew Cuomo and Jon Kasich) or those who held statewide office previously (IE- Scott Brown and Charlie Crist.)

Most of the people I can think of come from the Republican side, partly since it looks like an increasingly Republican year, so open seats tend to favor the party.

Bruce Rauner- A billionaire favored to be elected Governor of one of the largest states in the country. On paper, he seems the most able to run in a presidential primary as there's an opening among Romney voters, and he could be an executive in that big state next to Iowa.
Terri Lynn Land- There will be incentives for the likely male Republican nominee to pick a female running mate. Land seems to have an even shot of being elected to the Senate from a midwestern swing state.
Joni Ernst- See above (although her chances aren't as good.) She's younger, has a military background and comes from a swingier state.

On the Democratic side, the only one I can think of as a potential veep is Anthony G Brown of Maryland, currently the favorite to be elected Governor. He's an African American with a military and civil rights background, so he could appeal to the Democratic base and centrist voters. And he backed Hillary Clinton in 2008, so he may be someone the Clintons would like to see in their administration.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:00:34 PM »

I think anyone newly elected in 2014 would be seen as too inexperienced to be on a national ticket, unless they already have won statewide as Governor or Senator previously.

The only one I can think of who is in this situation would be Mike Rounds, who is running for an open Senate seat in SD, but has previously served as Governor from 2003-2011.

However, maybe if it was someone running in 2014 who had previously served as a Representative, such as how Rob Portman was considered as VP in 2012, despite only becoming a Senator in 2010.

I guess an example for 2016 would be Mike Michaud from Maine, who is running for governor in 2014 but has served as a Representative since 2003.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 04:40:47 PM »

Another example is McCain attacking Obama as inexperienced then picking newly elected Palin.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »

I think anyone newly elected in 2014 would be seen as too inexperienced to be on a national ticket, unless they already have won statewide as Governor or Senator previously.

The only one I can think of who is in this situation would be Mike Rounds, who is running for an open Senate seat in SD, but has previously served as Governor from 2003-2011.

However, maybe if it was someone running in 2014 who had previously served as a Representative, such as how Rob Portman was considered as VP in 2012, despite only becoming a Senator in 2010.

I guess an example for 2016 would be Mike Michaud from Maine, who is running for governor in 2014 but has served as a Representative since 2003.
Portman also had the advantage of serving as OMB Director and US Trade Representative. So his resume before he became Senator was even more impressive.

There are obvious disadvantages to picking a relative newcomer, but sometimes the presidential candidates roll the die. And sometimes they come close to that decision.

McCain's shortlist in 2008 included Charlie Crist, a new Governor of Florida. We all know who he went for.
Al Gore's 2000 shortlist included John Edwards, a newly elected Senator.
In 1992, Bill Clinton considered Harris Wofford, appointed to the Senate in May 1991.

Kerry probably regrets not vetting Mark Warner (technically elected in 2001) in 2004.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 10:13:11 PM »

If the Republican Gardner wins in Colorado Senate he almost overnight becomes a person considered for the Vice Presidential nomination for Republicans in 2016.

Agreed. Gardner would definitely go a long way to making sure that the ticket is competitive out West.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 10:16:55 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Terri Lynn Land is not going to win statewide office.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 10:51:57 PM »

Gardner is too conservative his record on abortion (Personhood, abortion a felony etc.) and on fiscal matters would be easily attacked. If he wins in CO it would be only due to a wave and not because he's a good fit for the state or the region.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »

Rauner couldn't be president. That'd be a trainwreck of a campaign.
bballrox4717

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.65

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:53 AM »

Cotton and Gardner both stand out to me as people who would be considered for VP if they win their races. Cotton is a natural fit as a running mate for someone like Jeb Bush or Chris Christie. Gardner would be an establishment conservative with a record of winning in the west, which has trended hard Dem, and a record of dealing with the Tea Party (see his handling of Buck). I could see Capito playing well nationally but I don't think she's really interested beyond WV.

The other Republicans who could win their races (Rounds, Daines, and Cassidy) don't seem like they would play well beyond their state. Both Tillis and Land would be atrocious on the national stage.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:38:14 AM »

If the Republicans want a female running mate who was first elected to statewide office this year, Joni Ernst should be considered. She has to win the Republican Senate nomination and general election first, which is not a given, but if she manages to do both, then she would be of benefit. Iowa is enough of a swing state for Ernst to deliver it, but more importantly, she could rally the base and still appeal to the establishment wing of the Republican party. She might also be able to win over Independents and women, since Ernst doesn't appear to be a token candidate. In all honesty, Joni Ernst seems to be what McCain saw in Sarah Palin.

Tom Cotton would also do well on a national ticket. He appears to be a very solid candidate who would hold up well in the debates. He seems like he would be able to unite the party, and his background in the military might be beneficial.

In the unlikely event that Democrats completely implode and 2010 ends up looking like a cakewalk, I wouldn't rule out Monica Wehby from Oregon as a potential running mate. Yes, she is definitely a moderate on some issues, but she seems like the kind of candidate who wouldn't completely turn off the base, especially considering her opposition to Obamacare. If the Republican Presidential nominee was quite conservative, then Wehby might help make sure that the ticket has appeal to swing voters. Wehby being on the national ticket would be similar to George W. Bush picking Tom Ridge as his running mate instead of Cheney. When you think about a ticket like that, it might end up being easier for the Republicans to get to 270 electoral votes.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »

I'm going to add Paul Davis to the list.

He's the Democratic candidate for Governor in Kansas, and polling competitively against Sam Brownback. If a man in his early 40s gets elected in a very conservative midwestern state, he'll make Hillary's long-list at least.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 10:05:28 PM »

He's the Democratic candidate for Governor in Kansas, and polling competitively against Sam Brownback. If a man in his early 40s gets elected in a very conservative midwestern state, he'll make Hillary's long-list at least.

Definitely, especially since "endorsed by 100 moderate Republicans while running for governor" would play well with GOP-leaning states that Hillary might want to flip.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »

Is there anyone running for major statewide office (Governor or Senator) who has a shot at being on a national ticket in 2016? I'm not counting the politicians seeking reelection this year (IE- Scott Walker, Andrew Cuomo and Jon Kasich) or those who held statewide office previously (IE- Scott Brown and Charlie Crist.)

Most of the people I can think of come from the Republican side, partly since it looks like an increasingly Republican year, so open seats tend to favor the party.

Bruce Rauner- A billionaire favored to be elected Governor of one of the largest states in the country. On paper, he seems the most able to run in a presidential primary as there's an opening among Romney voters, and he could be an executive in that big state next to Iowa.
Terri Lynn Land- There will be incentives for the likely male Republican nominee to pick a female running mate. Land seems to have an even shot of being elected to the Senate from a midwestern swing state.
Joni Ernst- See above (although her chances aren't as good.) She's younger, has a military background and comes from a swingier state.

On the Democratic side, the only one I can think of as a potential veep is Anthony G Brown of Maryland, currently the favorite to be elected Governor. He's an African American with a military and civil rights background, so he could appeal to the Democratic base and centrist voters. And he backed Hillary Clinton in 2008, so he may be someone the Clintons would like to see in their administration.

Only if you completely ignore every poll from the last three months, and totally ignore Gary Peters' increasing lead.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 08:05:46 PM »

I'm not familiar with Bruce Rauner's record, but anyone who works in private equity has zero business running for office as a "job creator." The nature of the business is to do the opposite - downsize and lower costs to increase the value of the firm.

The only example I can recall of someone being on a ticket in the election immediately after winning their initial office is Spiro Agnew - and we all know how that worked out.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »

Only if you completely ignore every poll from the last three months, and totally ignore Gary Peters' increasing lead.

True, but that post was from early May, when Land still had some inkling of a chance. At this point, Peters is definitely the all-out favorite. He'll win in MI even if the national political environment further deteriorates for Democrats.

I'll add that I don't see Peters being added to a Democratic ticket in the way Land could have been a long-shot running mate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »

Definitely, especially since "endorsed by 100 moderate Republicans while running for governor" would play well with GOP-leaning states that Hillary might want to flip.
A dead horse would probably be leading Brownback at this stage. With a Tea Party majority in the state legislature, I think he would have a tough go of it from Day One as Governor.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »

Here's who I would say are possibilities, building off of other peoples' answers. I included a few appointed incumbents, because I don't think an appointed Senator is really a contender for a national ticket until they win an election.

Democrats:
John Walsh*
Alison Lundergan Grimes
Anthony Brown
Angel Taveras
Ed FitzGerald

Republicans:
Tom Cotton
Cory Gardner
Tim Scott*
Joni Ernst
Ben Sasse
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 07:47:25 AM »

True, but that post was from early May, when Land still had some inkling of a chance. At this point, Peters is definitely the all-out favorite. He'll win in MI even if the national political environment further deteriorates for Democrats.

I'll add that I don't see Peters being added to a Democratic ticket in the way Land could have been a long-shot running mate.

Didn't check the date it was posted. But, you're 100% correct about your second point.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies