If marijuana is legal, what should be the minimum age for smoking it?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:00:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If marijuana is legal, what should be the minimum age for smoking it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
<13, or no minimum age

>21

Marijuana should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: If marijuana is legal, what should be the minimum age for smoking it?  (Read 4355 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2014, 05:54:11 PM »

Discuss.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 06:10:50 PM »

18 for recreational use, no minimum age if needed for medical purposes.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »

I don't know enough about the science of marijuana use and adolescent brain development to give an informed answer to this question.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 06:46:15 PM »

Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 06:58:20 PM »

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2014, 07:40:57 PM by angus »

I don't know enough about the science of marijuana use and adolescent brain development to give an informed answer to this question.

Neither did Jean Piaget, but that didn't stop him from becoming famous and providing a great deal of misinformation to a generation of psychologists.

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 07:56:42 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2014, 08:00:24 PM by Night Man »

Probably the same as the drinking age because it's so similar to drinking in terms of driving. I tried smoking and driving before. It was scary. I'm lucky nothing bad happened. 21. That being said, I'm for don't ask don't tell for over 17. That is, if you are at home and over 17, the police shouldn't be able to arrest or serve you for MIP and not your parents either.
Icehand Gino
Rookie
France

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:20 PM »

SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

It should be the same as whatever the drinking age is, and I believe the drinking age should be 18.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2014, 11:52:09 PM »

It should be the same as whatever the drinking age is, and I believe the drinking age should be 18.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2014, 01:00:56 AM »

6 people believe kids under 13 deserve to smoke marijuana? Sickening. Sad

Marijuana, bar none, should remain illegal for people of all ages. I'm beginning to move to the right on criminalization despite Ohio's decriminalization of it. I feel we're softening too much on enforcement of the federal law even despite SCOTUS already upholding it as the supreme law. Letting dealers get off even easier will allow for continued high rates of distribution of and usage of marijuana with smaller prison sentences and enforcement that would only increase the popularity and sale of marijuana. Plus, little punishment will make teens think it's okay to smoke marijuana and that they can easily get away with it without consequences and will only hurt their health, memory, grades, social life, and well-being by resorting to purchasing other dangerous drugs that they think are also legal. I oppose legalizing medical marijuana for any age to because there are better prescription substitutes to decrease pain and some will just try to get around it and fake an illness to try to get it prescribed to them by their doctor. Not to mention it could still be risky for letting an ill person take marijuana when he/she could just end up abusing it and then there's also the sub sequential "lobbying" problem with medical marijuana.

And a small reminder, for those who say I don't care about "the poor, minorities etc," I know people: neighbors and friends, who smoke marijuana and I don't rat them out to the cops or on-campus security and administrators because for one, I'm generally a nice guy IRL and I would probably become the campus outcast if I did rat on them, but also because I think they can fight their addictions with support before having to resort to alerting authorities. It's not a sin to care about people and helping them out as much as possible.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2014, 01:18:19 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2014, 02:01:42 AM by SLValleyMan »

Marijuana, bar none, should remain illegal for people of all ages. I'm beginning to move to the right on criminalization despite Ohio's decriminalization of it. I feel we're softening too much on enforcement of the federal law even despite SCOTUS already upholding it as the supreme law. Letting dealers get off even easier will allow for continued high rates of distribution of and usage of marijuana with smaller prison sentences and enforcement that would only increase the popularity and sale of marijuana. Plus, little punishment will make teens think it's okay to smoke marijuana and that they can easily get away with it without consequences and will only hurt their health, memory, grades, social life, and well-being by resorting to purchasing other dangerous drugs that they think are also legal.

Throwing kids in jail for using marijuana and giving them criminal records that can follow them for the rest of their lives, give them the mindset of a criminal, and make it harder to find meaningful employment has done far more damage to young people's lives than marijuana itself ever has.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

1. Many substitutes, but many more dangerous. For example, one of my friends has been prescribed codeine (an opiod) to treat back pain, and while it is effective, it can also have unpleasant side effects if dependence is developed. Marijuana, with no chance of overdose, and lower dependence liability, would be a much better alternative.

2. Just have doctors verify any illnesses. Not to mention this wouldn't even be an issue if marijuana was fully legal.

3. Marijauna =/= vicodin

4. What "lobbying" problem?
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:54 AM »

Oh, and as for my own stance, no age limit for consumption, 16 for purchase.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 01:21:44 AM »

Equal to the minimum to purchase beer/wine, so 16 here.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35:32 AM »

Neither did Jean Piaget, but that didn't stop him from becoming famous and providing a great deal of misinformation to a generation of psychologists.

What did Piaget have to say about marijuana?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »

18 for purchase.  I don't think it would be a good idea to criminalise youths for consumption.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2014, 08:27:28 AM »

Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2014, 08:45:05 AM »

I'll say 18, if only because there are scientifically-proven effects that marijuana has on adolescent minds (albeit less so than alcohol and certainly less so than "hard" drugs). No minimum age if needed medicinally.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:50:19 AM »

Preferably illegal, but if it did happen, 21.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2014, 08:55:44 AM »

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 10:24:44 AM »

Not to mention it could still be risky for letting an ill person take marijuana when he/she could just end up abusing it and then there's also the sub sequential "lobbying" problem with medical marijuana.

Yeah, this isn't going to happen. The police lobby killed home growth in my state. Hassan used to support a bill with a  home growth provision as a state senator, but the anti-drug lobby persuaded her to drop a weaker home growth provision last year.

Trust me, there is no such thing as a powerful drug lobby, as long as you have the anti-drug brigade bribing our officials.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 11:31:30 AM »

What did Piaget have to say about marijuana?

Well, for starters he felt like the frontal lobe was pretty much developed by the age of 12.  Nowadays 25 is the more commonly cited age for full development.  

Nowadays there are many studies you can read about the effect of marijuana and alcohol on developing brains.  Piaget didn't have that luxury.  

I actually voted for 18 as well, but it's pretty arbitrary.  Whether most kids at that age are really ready to vote, drive, drink booze, smoke pot, or make war is something I'm not sure about, but it seems to be ingrained in our society that this is the age of consent so that's what I chose in this poll.  Same as I selected in the drinking age poll last December.

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »

I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that if medical marijuana is legally sold then there's now a bunch of legal marijuana dealers who can set up lobbying for further decriminalization the same way all business groups have lobbies now.

The fact that the medical marijuana groups actually opposed full legalization in every state that's voted on it so far has obviously not been taken into account.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 11:43:56 AM »

The fact that the medical marijuana groups actually opposed full legalization in every state that's voted on it so far has obviously not been taken into account.

It has been taken into account plenty by journalists.  In fact, a number of stories have been written about the fact that the marijuana growers associations in California are some of the biggest opponents of legalization.  I can remember such stories appearing for at least four years (and my memory is pretty bad, with all the weed that I smoked as a high school student, so they have probably been around much longer.)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies