1896 U.S. Presidential Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:39:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1896 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Senator George F. Hoar (Union-Massachusetts)/Fmr. Secretary Lyman Gage (Union-New York)

Senator Ignatius Donnelly (People's Alliance-Dakota)/Fmr. Alderman Henry George (People's Alliance-New York)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: 1896 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 1450 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2014, 11:17:37 PM »

The 1896 conventions would prove to be an era of new beginnings for the three parties.

Many had expected Calvin Brice, the Vice Presidential nominee, to be nominated without much contention. However, Senator George Hoar made a big splash when addressing the delegates, lambasting the Vance administration's Cuba policy. When the balloting was at hand, the lively Senator Hoar was nominated on the first ballot, exhibiting that the Union Party was moving toward a more 'progressive' stance on voting rights and immigration reform. Lyman Gage, Cleveland's former Treasury Secretary, was selected as the Vice Presidential nominee to give deference to Cleveland-style economics.

Some would be left to wonder whether Vance's second term had been more of an albatross for the Whig Party. James Weaver, a well-known activist, made a riveting speech and looked poised to upset Governor Thomas Watson, who was the establishment's favorite for the nomination. However, both options were bypassed entirely, and the convention voted to subsume themselves entirely into the People's Alliance.

The People's Alliance convention, held a month later, was not ready for the new influx of formerly-Whig activists. The result was a great deal of confusion, and the delegates scattering between various choices. Much like Zebulon Vance's Whig Party dissolved, Vice President Joseph Smith was rejected at the convention floor. With no clear choice and an even split, it eventually was the loudest delegates that prevailed: those for Senator Ignatius Donnelly of Dakota. The economist Henry George picked as part of a convention deal, and to provide for geographic balance, with respect to Donnelly's Dakota and George's New York.

Three days.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 11:21:11 PM »

Hoar all the way!
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »

I haven't been voting in these so far but I'll gladly stick my neck out for Atlantis--I mean Ignatius--Donnelly.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »

Hoar is a fantastic candidate, sans his Cuba policy. Donnelly is just a loony. Hoar should run away with this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »

This is a very tough call, but as much as I want to discover Atlantis, I've gotta go with Hoar (hopefully his Presidency will focus more on issues like African-American and Indian rights and women's suffrage than economic issues).
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:41 AM »

I'll start to vote here now.
Donnelly
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 10:01:58 PM »

Donnelly should easily take this. However, it appears that the forum is not yet ready to reach beyond its own borders and harness Atlantian crystal for the greater good.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 08:53:55 AM »

Hoar is the lesser of two evils, I guess.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

Donnelly should easily take this. However, it appears that the forum is not yet ready to reach beyond its own borders and harness Atlantian crystal for the greater good.

Who would've guessed Cathcon was such a staunch supporter of legalizing crystal meth?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 02:48:51 PM »

Hoar, if only to try and keep the Unionists as a viable party of the right.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 03:26:20 PM »

Hoar. Every politican needs that last name.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 03:34:42 PM »

Who would've guessed Cathcon was such a staunch supporter of legalizing crystal meth?

Well, duh. Walter White's genius was unappreciated. However, I'm referring to the possibility of America possessing sup-nuclear weaponry by 1900. If you've ever seen the documentary "Atlantis: The Lost Empire", you'll know what I'm saying when I refer to the power that the Heart of Atlantis could bring us. Universal power for the entire country, if not the entire world, deterrents from foreign threats for all of time, and healing capabilities well beyond that of modern medicine.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Proud to vote for Donnelly! However, I'd like to note a few things. First off, the real Zebulon Vance died in 1894, so Joseph Smith should have been President. Secondly, both George and Donnelly die before the next Presidential inauguration (George in 1897, Donnelly in 1901), so the Speaker of the House (maybe a Smith comeback? A man can dream...) would be president for at least a few months. It might be interesting to see what happens, constitution-wise.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 05:05:19 PM »

Donnelly.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States