Austria could implement Gay Marriage this summer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:32:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austria could implement Gay Marriage this summer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austria could implement Gay Marriage this summer  (Read 1515 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2014, 10:13:43 AM »

... thanks to Conchita's Song Contest victory the ÖVP-leader Michael Spindelegger has said today "that his party is further evolving on this issue" and that he "sees no borders anymore" and that "there are increasing voices within his party that favour full equality" and "that he sees the process of streamlining the differences between the civil union law and the traditional marriage law finished over the summer".

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/innenpolitik/3804621/Keine-Grenzen_OVP-lenkt-bei-HomoRechten-ein

Recently, the biggest Austrian LGBT group met with top ÖVP ministers and presented them a list of 40 differences between the civil union law and the traditional marriage law and presented solutions about how to solve them.

The ÖVP cabinet ministers were actually quite positive about amending the civil union law back at this meeting.

If the ÖVP really moves here, the civil union law could in the end be amended in a way that it is 100% like the traditional marriage law - just not called "marriage".

Thanks anyway Conchita ... Wink
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:22:41 AM »

Of course, I will only believe this when I see it.

There have been many disappointments so far when it comes to the ÖVP "evolving" and I think this could be the case here as well: They now say they are "open" to talks and "willing" to reform the law.

But in a few months, when the Conchita-dust has settled - they might as well fall back into their old system ("Party of No.")

Plus: If the ÖVP really decides to go ahead with amending the law so that it resembles the hetero law, then it would be one of those rare examples in which Austria moves before Germany on an important issue. Usually, Austria always waits until Germany does something important and then we ... Tongue
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 10:59:36 AM »

If that would happen, I'd be so happy... I wouldn't have believed that Austria would legalise before Germany would even consider it... And even then, we could have had a plebiscite, like with the draft... I don't really want to talk about this!

But I couldn't also believe when our new agrarian minister, a Bauernbundler (one of the most conservative parts of the ÖVP), of Tirol (the most conservative and my state), who swore at his inauguration on the heart of christ (there is an old tyrolese holiday in June, which is called the Feast of the Heart of Christ, and very conservative and ancient Tyrolese are very proud of that, so they swear things on the heart of Christ) said he would be for an adoption-right for homosexual Austrians. Maybe even Austria is moving a tiny bit towards the modern world... As you said however Tender, I won't believe it until I see it. But the thought of it...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:28:41 PM »

Wow, great news. Smiley
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »

Amazing news !
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 01:08:08 PM »

danny
Israel

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »

This sounds like a terrible reason to do the right thing.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:50:02 PM »

Is the person who won the Eurovision song contest even transgendered? Is he sexually attracted to me? I was under the impression it was a cis-dude who likes to dress up.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 03:29:04 PM »

Is the person who won the Eurovision song contest even transgendered? Is he sexually attracted to me? I was under the impression it was a cis-dude who likes to dress up.

Pretty much.  They identify as a gay man, not as trans (though I'm not sure what pronouns they prefer).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies