Surreal moments in political history
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:14:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Surreal moments in political history
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Surreal moments in political history  (Read 9988 times)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 12:25:23 AM »
« edited: July 08, 2015, 07:51:18 PM by Famous Mortimer »

Guatemala: Efraín Ríos Montt, one of the most genocidal dictators of the 1980s, remained free long enough to run in the 2003 Presidential election. He received nearly 20% of the vote in the first round. Interestingly, the majority of his supporters tend to be indigenous Guatemalans, even though they were deliberately massacred by his regime. Oh, and his daughter is a prominent legislator, shameless apologist for her father's regime, is considered a future Presidential candidate, and is married to a former US Congressman.

What the hell.

Why?

Rios Montt and the indigenous people are both Evangelical Christians.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 12:35:43 AM »

Comparing the 1970 US Senate race in CT to the 2006 US Senate race in CT.

In 1970:
Anti-war Democrat is supported by Joe Lieberman
Pro-war Democrat turned Independent after losing primary is Chris Dodd's dad
Republican who wins is Lowell Weicker. He would lose in 1988 to the more conservative Lieberman.

In 2006:
Anti-war Democrat is supported by Dodd and Weicker
Pro-war Democrat turned Independent after losing primary is Joe Lieberman
Republican does badly
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 05:40:19 AM »

When Tennessee State Senator Tommy Burks was shot by his opponent, Anthony Looper, who got 1,000 votes in the general election while Burks widow won in a landslide.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »

1964, Senator Ernest Gruening is one of 2 Senators to vote against the Vietnam War.
1968, Senator Ernest Gruening is primaried. By Mike Gravel. The one who would publish the classified Pentagon papers in the Senate record.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2015, 05:33:45 PM »

Russia trying to surreptitiously revive Stalin's cult of personality in Abkhazia due to his ongoing popularity in Russia and the belief that Soviet nostalgia is good for the Putin regime. This, despite the fact that Stalin was an ethnic Georgian, and many of the reasons Abkhazia has been trying to move away from Georgia and towards Russia are due to Stalin's pro-Georgian, anti-Abkhazian policies.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 02:07:54 AM »

Whoever is right on the details, the events of the last week leading to the Greek referendum should count.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 11:32:24 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P183mGLvkI

(And related incidents.)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2015, 02:00:39 PM by Governor Simfan34 »

Santa Anna's whole career was pretty bizarre. How does anyone serve as President on 11 non-consecutive occasions?

In that vein, the political career of Norodom Sihanouk surely counts. Twice King, thrice President, and ten times Prime Minister (if Wikipedia is anything to go by), not to mention inveterate ally of the Eastern Bloc and even the Khmer Rouge (!), who spent much of his final retirement dividing his time between houses in Beijing and Pyongyang (!!!).

But one probably cannot beat Emperor Bokassa I in terms of pure surreality.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 02:19:42 PM »

I'd take Mummar Qaddafi and the Kim dynasty as living embodiments of surrealism.

I would imagine that at least in the case of Qaddafi it was some kind of political surrealism. It can be easier to get away with things if you are an absurd dictator rather than just a dictator.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 02:28:48 PM »

Guatemala: Efraín Ríos Montt, one of the most genocidal dictators of the 1980s, remained free long enough to run in the 2003 Presidential election. He received nearly 20% of the vote in the first round. Interestingly, the majority of his supporters tend to be indigenous Guatemalans, even though they were deliberately massacred by his regime. Oh, and his daughter is a prominent legislator, shameless apologist for her father's regime, is considered a future Presidential candidate, and is married to a former US Congressman.

What the hell.

Also, in 2011, the wife of the president divoced him so that she could run for president herself. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/guatemala-1st-lady-divorces-for-presidential-bid/)
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 03:10:24 PM »

This is a catch-all thread for your favorite bits of political history (American or otherwise) that stand out as bizzare or hilarious.

My favorite has to be the story of Horst Wessel's death. Wessel, a brownshirt who lent his name to the "Horst Wessel Lied", a Nazi marching song, shared an apartment with a live-in girlfriend in Berlin who happened to be a prostitute. He refused to pay his rent to his Communist landlady, who fetched some Communist toughs from a Red-run tavern to teach him a lesson. One of them, another pimp, shot poor Horst to death.

A bit of an oxymoron, no?

Well, one of the more well known local hotels is owned by a dedicated communist (and not so much in the eurocommonism style, the hotel contains busts of Lenin, Stalin etc.). In 2006 he managed to become entreprenour of the year.. All in all he is a major troll, a few years ago he wanted to buy a park from the municipality to create a Lenin park. His son was named "Brfxxccxxmnpcccclllmmnprxvclmnckssqlbb11116" (pronounced Albin..).
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2015, 03:56:41 PM »

I'd take Mummar Qaddafi and the Kim dynasty as living embodiments of surrealism.

I would imagine that at least in the case of Qaddafi it was some kind of political surrealism. It can be easier to get away with things if you are an absurd dictator rather than just a dictator.

Idi Amin being the textbook case.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2015, 10:32:25 PM »

"Let me make sure I understand. You're calling me back to retract your concession?" - Dubya

(Convo continues..)

"You don't have to get snippy about it George." -Gore

"Let me explain something," Gore lectures in a stony tone, "your YOUNGER brother is not the ultimate authority on this."

(Convo Continues..)

"Fine do you what you have to do Al."- Dubya.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:52 PM »
« Edited: June 28, 2015, 10:44:03 PM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

"Let me make sure I understand. You're calling me back to retract your concession?" - Dubya

(Convo continues..)

"Let me explain something," Gore lectures in a stony tone, "your YOUNGER brother is not the ultimate authority on this."

(Convo Continues..)

That's not the only surreal thing about the 2000 election. On January 6 2001, the Presiding Officer of the US Senate repeatedly denies attempts to have a vote to challenge the election results in favor of Al Gore because no Senator has signed the challenge. The Presiding officer is Al Gore.

sh**t gets crazy at 27:20

http://www.c-span.org/video/?161423-1/electoral-college-ballot-count
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 02:18:21 AM »

(Convo continues..)

(Convo Continues..)

That's not the only surreal thing about the 2000 election. On January 6 2001, the Presiding Officer of the US Senate repeatedly denies attempts to have a vote to challenge the election results in favor of Al Gore because no Senator has signed the challenge. The Presiding officer is Al Gore.

That video made all the more weird considering what we now know about Denny Hastert.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 01:06:57 PM »

(Convo continues..)

(Convo Continues..)

That video made all the more weird considering what we now know about Denny Hastert.

Hastert never served in the Senate.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 06:11:41 PM »

(Convo continues..)

(Convo Continues..)

Would have been interesting had a senator signed it...
pikachu
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 05:15:16 AM »

Trump 2016 has to count at this point, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 05:41:49 AM »

(Convo continues..)

(Convo Continues..)

Hastert never served in the Senate.

It's a joint session of Congress. The Vice President usually presides, but there have been cases where the Senate pro tempore presides instead. I think people would have understood if Gore didn't show up, but he did.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2015, 05:43:59 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 05:45:32 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

Would have been interesting had a senator signed it...

None did, but Boxer challenged Ohio in 2004.

It failed 74-1 in the Senate
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=109&session=1&vote=00001
It failed 267-31 in the House
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll007.xml
Potus
Potus2036

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2015, 04:33:09 PM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 04:36:04 PM by The Prime Minister »

In 1888, there was a contested gubernatorial election. There was a huge reputation of voter fraud in West Virginia. The Democrat and Republican both filed a series of legal actions, with different courts in the state handing down different rulings leading both men to declare victory. So, each of these two guys said they were governor. The legal fight went on for so long, it passed inauguration day. The Governor claimed that a successor had not been elected, so he said that he wasn't required to abdicate the Governor's office. The President of the Senate, who was only elected to arbitrate the controversy over the gubernatorial election on the 126th ballot, declared that the Governor's term had ended and that there was no elected successor to fill the vacancy, so he decided he was Acting Governor.

So, in effect, West Virginia had four men claiming the Governor's office all at once.

EDIT: here's the full story http://www.wvgazettemail.com/article/20150623/DM04/150629736
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »

Trump 2016 has to count at this point, right?

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies