EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:28:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29
Author Topic: EP elections 2014 - Results Thread  (Read 88015 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: May 26, 2014, 08:22:03 AM »

PASOK performed remarkably (and irritatingly) well, only coming fourth.

And seeing as Papandreou was bitterly opposed to the Olive Tree alliance, this sets him back in the power struggle to control PASOK. (Not that PASOK is particularly worth having a struggle about)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #376 on: May 26, 2014, 08:23:40 AM »

One man, two votes: Giovanni di Lorenzo, editor-in-chief of the German newspaper DIE ZEIT announced yesterday that he voted twice. As a dual citizen of Germany and Italy he cast his ballots for both countries.

That's cheating! Angry I didn't vote in France...

He's being investigated for it.

Oh, so there are laws against it? How are they supposed to be enforced, since there's no way to know if you've voted in another country?

Usually all precincts have voter lists and when you vote you get an [X] next to your name.

I think you can find out if someone voted twice ...

Did you read the previous posts? The issue is about voting twice in different countries.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #377 on: May 26, 2014, 08:24:23 AM »

One man, two votes: Giovanni di Lorenzo, editor-in-chief of the German newspaper DIE ZEIT announced yesterday that he voted twice. As a dual citizen of Germany and Italy he cast his ballots for both countries.

Oh, so there are laws against it? How are they supposed to be enforced, since there's no way to know if you've voted in another country?

Usually all precincts have voter lists and when you vote you get an [X] next to your name.

Yeah, but who is going to check every single name?

I know lots of people vote twice (or more time) in municipal elections here, but that's a bit different.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #378 on: May 26, 2014, 08:30:32 AM »

Did you read the previous posts? The issue is about voting twice in different countries.

What exactly is the problem here ?

If they investigate this, the most likely scenario to do so is:

* check where the guy has his residence in Germany and ask the election officials there to hand over the election protocoll to see if he has voted

* the same thing is done in Italy, either in the municipality where he is registered or at the Interior Ministry where he requested his absentee ballot or at the Italian embassy in the German city where he lives

* if it is shown that he voted twice, he will be charged in Germany, because he lives there.

Don't know if this has been done already (probably not), but there are ways to find out.

Still, I have long before argued for a centralized voter database for EU-elections with cross-checks to combat double-voting.

But of course none of this will happen.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #379 on: May 26, 2014, 08:32:14 AM »

That's kind of hard to check in two different countries,though.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #380 on: May 26, 2014, 08:38:50 AM »

That's kind of hard to check in two different countries,though.

I don't think it's hard to check, but rather hard to enforce the penalty (because what's the EU law about this "crime" ?).

If there are election protocolls in both his German and Italian precincts, that would be a matter of 10 minutes to find out if he voted twice.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #381 on: May 26, 2014, 08:41:33 AM »

I understand how they can investigate this after they get information on potential fraud, but they would never even find out about that in most cases.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #382 on: May 26, 2014, 08:42:58 AM »

I don't think it's hard to check, but rather hard to enforce the penalty (because what's the EU law about this "crime" ?).

If there are election protocolls in both his German and Italian precincts, that would be a matter of 10 minutes to find out if he voted twice.

German authorities are investigating him for breaking German law. Article 107a of the German Criminal Code: Voter fraud.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #383 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:36 AM »

I understand how they can investigate this after they get information on potential fraud, but they would never even find out about that in most cases.

Yepp, good that the guy was stupid enough to admit it (maybe not a bad decision actually, because it turns the focus on a fraudulent system).

Like you said, there's only a chance to find out afterwards if someone admits it.

That's why a synchonized EU-voter database would be great, checked for double or triple entries that get deleted, so that the person is only able to cast the vote in the place of his main residence.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #384 on: May 26, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »

Yepp, good that the guy was stupid enough to admit it (maybe not a bad decision actually, because it turns the focus on a fraudulent system).

Like you said, there's only a chance to find out afterwards if someone admits it.

That's why a synchonized EU-voter database would be great, checked for double or triple entries that get deleted, so that the person is only able to cast the vote in the place of his main residence.

Yeah, that would definitely be the best solution. Since people can vote in the country they reside in, there's no reason to allow residents of other countries to vote.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: May 26, 2014, 08:52:30 AM »

Yeah, that would definitely be the best solution. Since people can vote in the country they reside in, there's no reason to allow residents of other countries to vote.

Theoretically. A mega-database like this could be a bureaucratic nightmare, data protection people would go nuts, as would the politicians of the EU member countries who would probably never set up a thing like that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #386 on: May 26, 2014, 09:47:51 AM »

Voting for a joke party is the most stupid thing anyone can do.

But this is an election with no consequences, so why not?
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #387 on: May 26, 2014, 10:20:12 AM »

UK media a bit slow on publishing nice flashy maps of the local authority level results. Don't make us do the work Sad
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #388 on: May 26, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »

With partial official results (91% of the precints) it appears that barely, but PiS had actually won the election. The first win since 2005. Also, PSL overtook Korwin for 4th place.

PiS: 32.35%
PO: 31.29%
SLD-UP: 9.55%
PSL: 7.21%
NP: 7.06%
-------
SP: 4.04%
TR: 3.45%
PR: 3.08%

Still, PiS and PO will have 19 seats each, SLD-UP five, PSL and NP four.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #389 on: May 26, 2014, 10:34:24 AM »

Results by constituency (winning party):

Blue: PiS
Red: PO

PO is usually given orange color Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #390 on: May 26, 2014, 10:38:51 AM »

Sorry to make this point again, but it bothers me that we have these essentially meaningless elections every five years: EU policies are not altered in the slightest by European Election results, making them purely symbolic. In this respect they make a mockery of the idea (and ideal) of democracy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #391 on: May 26, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »

UK media a bit slow on publishing nice flashy maps of the local authority level results. Don't make us do the work Sad

They were showing them on their big interactive TV screen during the BBC broadcast, so they clearly have them. Just not putting them online for some reason!
rob in cal
« Reply #392 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:31 AM »

So whats the story of the Austrian People's Party doing so well in the middle of Vienna? 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: May 26, 2014, 10:53:43 AM »

The final Austrian results (postal votes were counted today):

http://news.orf.at/wahl14/ergebnisse/#ergebnisse

Maps:

http://news.orf.at/wahl14/ergebnisse/#analyse

The Greens won another 2 districts with the postal votes counted:

* Feldkirch in Vbg.
* Rudolfsheim-Fünfhaus in Vienna
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #394 on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »

So whats the story of the Austrian People's Party doing so well in the middle of Vienna? 

They always do. Old money.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: May 26, 2014, 10:56:14 AM »

Rich people, business owners, lawyers, stock exchange people etc. live there.
palandio

« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »

You can find similar phenomenons in Munich, Frankfurt, Hamburg,...
One common pattern (rarely found in its pure form) is that you have from the inner city to the suburbs:
A small right-leaning core which tends to favor conservative parties (ÖVP, CDU/CSU) and even more classical liberal parties (NEOS, FDP). Often with extensions into inner city upper-class residential areas (M-Altbogenhausen, F-Westend, HH-Rotherbaum...).
Then the conservative vote share drops into the low range and classical liberal vote share decreases, but not as sharply. Instead you get into the Green strongholds.
Still remaining in densely inhabitated areas, we come into territory where rents are lower, here at first the radical-left and then social-democratic parties have some of their strongholds.
Outside of this zone we have a mix of conservative leaning low-density residential areas and social-democratic leaning housing estates.
This extends to the suburbs: Basically you can predict the voting behavior from the settlement structure. Since many independent communes were reluctant to build estates, they are on average more classically conservative leaning than their counterparts inside the city limits.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2014, 11:35:51 AM »

Labour changes on 2009:

London +15.4
North West +13.4
North East +11.5
Yorkshire & Humber +10.5
West Midlands +9.7
East Midlands +8.1
Wales +7.8
Eastern +6.8
South East +6.4
South West +6.1
Scotland +5.1
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #398 on: May 26, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »

UKIP vote by region:

Eastern - 34.5
East Midlands - 32.9
South West - 32.3
South East - 32.1
West Midlands - 31.5
Yorkshire & Humber - 31.1
North East - 29.2
Wales - 27.5
North West - 27.5
London - 16.9
Scotland - 10.5

Except for London and Scotland that is strikingly level.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #399 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:22 AM »

Sorry to make this point again, but it bothers me that we have these essentially meaningless elections every five years: EU policies are not altered in the slightest by European Election results, making them purely symbolic. In this respect they make a mockery of the idea (and ideal) of democracy.

I must say I disagree, the European Parliament may not be able to set European policies yet, but it have used the small but increasing power it have to great effect, especially in protection of European citizens and consumers, and limiting corruption in the commision. Also in all likelihood the newly elected parliament will decide who will become President of the Commission.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies