EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:36:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29
Author Topic: EP elections 2014 - Results Thread  (Read 87972 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 30, 2014, 10:44:12 AM »

Is their a deadline for the horse-trading to end?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #526 on: May 30, 2014, 10:46:30 AM »

Is their a deadline for the horse-trading to end?

Yes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #527 on: May 31, 2014, 02:34:41 AM »

The short version of what Ingemann said is that UKIP cares more about origins of a party than about current official policy (or at least such is my impression).

That's why they dislike parties like SD or FN but are ok with DPP or LN or the crazy Poles.

To some extent, but it's also important for you as Swede to know, that the party Swedish media tell about have not much to do with how DPP are. There are a reason that DPP's MP rarely care to talk with Swedish reporters, while they're willing to talk to most other foreign reporters.

The Swedish media doesn't talk much about DPP these days. Not sure what Danish media says that Swedish media says or why you assume your own media to be unbiased. Wink

There isn't really a deadline though, is there? I mean, my understanding is that you can form groups and switch etc later on in the process.

And the difference described above is that the English are correct and the Germans are being silly. Apart from the fact that no one voted based on Juncker, the whole idea of the parliamentary groups having candidates make little sense. The European parliament doesn't pick the president anyway.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #528 on: May 31, 2014, 02:57:05 AM »

That's not what I've read. My understanding is that it is still the European Council who picks and parliament can only approve or reject. Although the Council is supposed to take the elections into account or some similarly typical pseudo-democratic bs that the EU likes to throw around.
sirius3100
Rookie
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -4.71, S: -4.96

« Reply #529 on: May 31, 2014, 03:04:41 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2014, 03:06:39 AM by sirius3100 »

The council proposes the commission president, but the parliament made it quite clear that they won't elect any other than one of the official candidates.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #530 on: May 31, 2014, 04:15:16 AM »

The short version of what Ingemann said is that UKIP cares more about origins of a party than about current official policy (or at least such is my impression).

That's why they dislike parties like SD or FN but are ok with DPP or LN or the crazy Poles.

To some extent, but it's also important for you as Swede to know, that the party Swedish media tell about have not much to do with how DPP are. There are a reason that DPP's MP rarely care to talk with Swedish reporters, while they're willing to talk to most other foreign reporters.

The Swedish media doesn't talk much about DPP these days. Not sure what Danish media says that Swedish media says or why you assume your own media to be unbiased. Wink

Gustaf I'm in my thirties and I can read Swedish, I have followed the debate in Sweden for years in Swedish articles, yes comments about DPP have become rarer the last few years (after you got SD), even through they're everybit still as weird.

As for Danish media, I could make a thousands page rant about all the things wrong with it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #531 on: May 31, 2014, 04:23:28 AM »

Gustaf I'm in my thirties and I can read Swedish, I have followed the debate in Sweden for years in Swedish articles, yes comments about DPP have become rarer the last few years (after you got SD), even through they're everybit still as weird.

As for Danish media, I could make a thousands page rant about all the things wrong with it.

Danes and Swedes always bitch about each other's media. Tongue What specifically do you feel was wrong with Swedish media reporting on DPP? I'm not saying you're wrong just curious.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #532 on: May 31, 2014, 06:44:57 AM »

Danes and Swedes always bitch about each other's media. Tongue What specifically do you feel was wrong with Swedish media reporting on DPP? I'm not saying you're wrong just curious.

Maybe it's the fact that half the articles about DPP seem like weird rants, while the ones using sources and interviews, seem like the journalist started out with a mission, and he's hellbent on pushing it, no matter how much he has to warp the story.

Athena Farrokhzad article about Yahya Hassan while not directly about DPP, are a surprisingly good example, but of course she seem to gone too far even for Swedish media.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #533 on: May 31, 2014, 04:13:13 PM »

According to der Spiegel, Cameron told Merkel that he can't guarantee UK will stay in EU if Juncker gets top job.

http://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/idUKKBN0EB0QD20140531?feedType=RSS&irpc=932
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #534 on: June 02, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2014, 11:26:55 AM by StateBoiler »

Juncker is a super European insider from mighty power Luxembourg that few people know and fewer people in the European voting process were ever exposed to. Elections are supposed to have a veneer of responsibility attached to them, yet there were many countries where people voted and have no idea who Juncker, Schulz, Verhofstedt, etc. were. When people were voting for the European Parliament, they were not voting for those individuals to be their leaders. They were voting for their respective national parties whom most of the people that vote for them don't know their European party affiliation or care.

Verhofstedt to me is the worst. He gets a challenge from Olli Rehn who Verhofstedt and a few of his backers don't like, so instead of actually having an election to decide who is ALDE's candidate/leader for the EP elections (God forbid people, politicians even, actually have to vote on who their leader was), they work out a backroom compromise so the party primary disappears.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #535 on: June 02, 2014, 11:27:06 AM »

Elections are supposed to have a veneer of responsibility attached to them

Yes, but a European Election is not a real election but an electoral type event.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #536 on: June 02, 2014, 12:39:02 PM »

Juncker is a super European insider from mighty power Luxembourg that few people know and fewer people in the European voting process were ever exposed to. Elections are supposed to have a veneer of responsibility attached to them, yet there were many countries where people voted and have no idea who Juncker, Schulz, Verhofstedt, etc. were. When people were voting for the European Parliament, they were not voting for those individuals to be their leaders. They were voting for their respective national parties whom most of the people that vote for them don't know their European party affiliation or care.

Verhofstedt to me is the worst. He gets a challenge from Olli Rehn who Verhofstedt and a few of his backers don't like, so instead of actually having an election to decide who is ALDE's candidate/leader for the EP elections (God forbid people, politicians even, actually have to vote on who their leader was), they work out a backroom compromise so the party primary disappears.

Yes but what you are forgetting that a Europe-wide election just between Schultz, Juncker, et al would do well to have a 0.5% turnout.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #537 on: June 02, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »

And half of those votes would be cast in Luxembourg!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #538 on: June 02, 2014, 12:58:42 PM »

Yes, but a European Election is not a real election but an electoral type event.

European Elections are whatever we make of them.

("we" being a mix of public opinions and national governments)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #539 on: June 02, 2014, 01:01:21 PM »

Rubbish. They are what the European Commission makes of them (which is usually very little).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #540 on: June 02, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »

Rubbish. They are what the European Commission makes of them (which is usually very little).

The European Commission is whatever national governments make of it.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #541 on: June 02, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »

Because the election results don't matter?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #542 on: June 02, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »

Because very few people take them seriously, or even know the issues they're voting on.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #543 on: June 03, 2014, 10:32:05 AM »

Because very few people take them seriously, or even know the issues they're voting on.
The second part is correct, but I don't quite agree about the first. For example, in my country they were taken seriously, though only as a warm-up for the parliamentary elections.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #544 on: June 03, 2014, 02:45:39 PM »

There seems to be some disagreement within the Tories about whether to let AfD into the ECR group.  Some of the MEPs (Daniel Hannan and Nirj Deva have been mentioned) would like to let them in, but Cameron still doesn't want them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27685195

To me Cameron's idea of still thinking of the CDU as the Tories' "sister party" while also insisting on not being in the EPP seems like wanting to have his cake and eat it.
EPG
« Reply #545 on: June 03, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »

If Europeans elected a European Parliament of Eurosceptics that voted down all legislation, very little would happen. Clearly, European elections do matter, but they don't lead to the most radical changes simply because opinion moves faster among the smaller and more collegiate European Council, whereas the Parliament reflects public opinions in approximate proportion to their prevalences, so it isn't as volatile.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #546 on: June 03, 2014, 04:20:44 PM »

Austrian newspapers are now reporting that Juncker is virtually out of the running.

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/europa/europaeische_union/635105_Juncker-scheitert.html
Lasitten
Rookie
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

« Reply #547 on: June 04, 2014, 05:45:23 AM »

This is only good Purple heart

republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #548 on: June 04, 2014, 06:32:25 AM »

Does anyone know where i can find the results of the French and Belgian constituencies?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #549 on: June 04, 2014, 06:38:07 AM »

Does anyone know where i can find the results of the French and Belgian constituencies?

France: http://elections.interieur.gouv.fr/ER2014/index.html
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies