EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:24:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: EP elections 2014 - Results Thread  (Read 88009 times)
republicanbayer
Rookie
Germany

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:04 AM »

Thank you!
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #551 on: June 04, 2014, 01:06:51 PM »

Grillo has applied to join the Greens (something I predicted awhile ago)
http://euobserver.com/tickers/124489
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #552 on: June 04, 2014, 01:25:34 PM »

LOL
Steffers
« Reply #553 on: June 04, 2014, 01:31:05 PM »

The Finns have announced that they and DPP have been accepted to ECR.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #554 on: June 04, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2014, 02:07:37 PM by StateBoiler »

Juncker is a super European insider from mighty power Luxembourg that few people know and fewer people in the European voting process were ever exposed to. Elections are supposed to have a veneer of responsibility attached to them, yet there were many countries where people voted and have no idea who Juncker, Schulz, Verhofstedt, etc. were. When people were voting for the European Parliament, they were not voting for those individuals to be their leaders. They were voting for their respective national parties whom most of the people that vote for them don't know their European party affiliation or care.

Verhofstedt to me is the worst. He gets a challenge from Olli Rehn who Verhofstedt and a few of his backers don't like, so instead of actually having an election to decide who is ALDE's candidate/leader for the EP elections (God forbid people, politicians even, actually have to vote on who their leader was), they work out a backroom compromise so the party primary disappears.

Yes but what you are forgetting that a Europe-wide election just between Schultz, Juncker, et al would do well to have a 0.5% turnout.

that's the fault of the European political system and its associated political parties, not me
joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

« Reply #555 on: June 04, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »

I'm not sure they'd have him, there are two or three pirates though
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #556 on: June 04, 2014, 03:34:19 PM »

The ECR Group have announced that they currently have 55 members, which makes it the fourth largest group, and that more are on its way. They have not made an official announcement of who the new members are yet, but according to media reports it is DF/DPP, the Finns Party, Die Familien-Partei, ANEL and the two Slovakian one-MEP parties OĽaNO and NOVA. Bulgaria without Censorship has been reported as potential members, while the vote on accepting AfD has been postponed; apparently Bernd Lucke has said that it's ECR or no group. The reports about internal disagreements in the party continue with some of the liberal founding members threatening to quit, while others want the party to join EFD instead of ECR. However, the latter group might become more silent as it seems more and more difficult for the EFD to be able to re-form a group.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #557 on: June 04, 2014, 03:55:04 PM »

He really is a comedian.
Jens
Angola

« Reply #558 on: June 04, 2014, 04:47:56 PM »

This is only good Purple heart

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Prizeless Cheesy
Jens
Angola

« Reply #559 on: June 04, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »

The ECR Group have announced that they currently have 55 members, which makes it the fourth largest group, and that more are on its way. They have not made an official announcement of who the new members are yet, but according to media reports it is DF/DPP, the Finns Party, Die Familien-Partei, ANEL and the two Slovakian one-MEP parties OĽaNO and NOVA. Bulgaria without Censorship has been reported as potential members, while the vote on accepting AfD has been postponed; apparently Bernd Lucke has said that it's ECR or no group. The reports about internal disagreements in the party continue with some of the liberal founding members threatening to quit, while others want the party to join EFD instead of ECR. However, the latter group might become more silent as it seems more and more difficult for the EFD to be able to re-form a group.
Any link to that? It will be quite a triumph for DPP if they are accepted into ECR.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #560 on: June 04, 2014, 05:12:55 PM »

This is only good Purple heart

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with SYRIZA or Alex Tsipras!

If you think KKE would join a SYRIZA government, take a note of this move.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #561 on: June 04, 2014, 05:32:40 PM »

Any link to that? It will be quite a triumph for DPP if they are accepted into ECR.

A Danish one here: http://www.altinget.dk/artikel/britiske-konservative-giver-groent-lys-til-messerschmidt
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #562 on: June 04, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »

I wonder what Farage will do now that Cameron and Le Pen stole all his allies/potential allies.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #563 on: June 05, 2014, 03:44:30 AM »

I'm not sure they'd have him, there are two or three pirates though

The Greens have indeed rejected the application:
http://euobserver.com/eu-elections/124495

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #564 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »

Well, then the best move would have been to accept, in order to expose Grillo's hypocrisy if he eventually renege on his adhesion. By rejecting it they're legitimizing him in seeking alliance with Farage.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #565 on: June 05, 2014, 07:03:00 AM »

Well, then the best move would have been to accept, in order to expose Grillo's hypocrisy if he eventually renege on his adhesion. By rejecting it they're legitimizing him in seeking alliance with Farage.

Farage's incentive is that it distances him further from the far right which will always be the main issue people have with his party. His terminology (such as People's Army) is swinging to Grillo-style populism.

In a run up to a general election where his programme is elitist at best he needs to convince his working class voters he is the anti-establishment candidate.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #566 on: June 05, 2014, 06:46:42 PM »

Apparently, some Greens are willing to accept individual M5S members, they just don't want to be associated with Grillo because of his discussions with Farage.  I see M5S falling apart if that happens.
http://euobserver.com/institutional/124507
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #567 on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:03 AM »

I find it a little surprising that the Tories are happy with the Danish People's Party and the (True) Finns; I'd thought those parties were both regarded as not quite respectable enough for mainstream parties to associate with.  What do our more Conservative-sympathetic posters think?

Of course, in the case of the Danish party, I may be mixing them up a bit with their counterparts in Borgen.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #568 on: June 06, 2014, 02:00:47 AM »

I find it a little surprising that the Tories are happy with the Danish People's Party and the (True) Finns; I'd thought those parties were both regarded as not quite respectable enough for mainstream parties to associate with.  What do our more Conservative-sympathetic posters think?

Of course, in the case of the Danish party, I may be mixing them up a bit with their counterparts in Borgen.

They don't care.  It's Cameron's "f*** y**" to Farage.  If UKIP fails to form a group (which is now a very strong possibility) they will either lose out on the funds the Union gives to parliamentary groups or they will be forced to join Le Pen's far-right group, which will probably hurt their chances of winning the next election.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #569 on: June 06, 2014, 02:58:22 AM »

I don't think you need to censor "you" on these boards.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #570 on: June 06, 2014, 03:30:56 AM »

Looks like SD's chances of joining EFD is all of a sudden looking up.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #571 on: June 06, 2014, 03:36:14 AM »

In the case of DPP they have had good contacts with euro-sceptic Tory right wingers for close to a decade now, so its not surprising + Morten Messerschmidt has excellent personal contacts with members of the Tory right. True Finns are more moderate than DPP, so it makes sense. None of the parties have neo-Nazi roots or connections. Messerschmidt is convicted for racist statements, which is illegal after the Danish criminal code, but I guess thats water under the bridge.

Why put True Finns in ()? It is the party name. Use "True" if you think its ridiculous.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #572 on: June 06, 2014, 03:39:51 AM »

The "True Finns" may not be the worst far-right party in Europe, but they have the most disgustingly xenophobic name possible.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #573 on: June 06, 2014, 03:45:13 AM »

I thought the party's approved English translation of their Finnish name now left out the "True", possibly because of what Antonio said.  Hence the ().
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #574 on: June 06, 2014, 03:57:17 AM »

I thought the party's approved English translation of their Finnish name now left out the "True", possibly because of what Antonio said.  Hence the ().

According to wikipedia it does. That's even more ridiculous - but I guess it makes sense.

Speaking of problematic names the Danish Peoples Party was originally the name of a small Nazi splinter party during the war, which tried to brand themselves as patriotic Danish Nazis, unlike those treasonous pro-German ones in the DNSAP. But Pia Kjærsgaard chose to ignore this fact when she named the party, thinking that nobody apart from a few historians would care. And she was right.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies