EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:10:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EP elections 2014 - Results Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29
Author Topic: EP elections 2014 - Results Thread  (Read 87926 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: June 06, 2014, 04:47:45 AM »

The correct translation would be "Regulary Finns".  Has the leaders of DP cult following, like some of the PS politicians have.

Why Sannfinländarna in Swedish then?
Steffers
« Reply #576 on: June 06, 2014, 05:26:00 AM »

The name 'Perussuomalaiset' is really hard to translate, which is shown by how the party has not been able to invent a proper translation and has had to settle first for 'True Finns' and then just 'The Finns'. Basically, it's meant to convey that they are just ordinary normal folks and salt-of-the-earth types.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #577 on: June 06, 2014, 06:15:09 AM »

Average Joe Finns.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #578 on: June 06, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »

Jukka the Plumber Party.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #579 on: June 06, 2014, 09:11:59 AM »

The final & certified election results for Austria have been released today by the Federal Election Commission.

Click here for results and map:

http://euwahl2014.bmi.gv.at

(This is only a formality, because according to the law there's a certain period for objection after the election - but the results did not change, like usual).
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #580 on: June 06, 2014, 09:40:32 AM »

Why ÖVP had not leading candidates in Tyrol, that was present to other parties?

Sorry, but I'm not sure if I understand ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #581 on: June 06, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »

None of ÖVP leading candidates were from their heartland Tyrol or Voralberg, and those areas had lowest turnout. A good candidate from that area would have been an easy seat for them. Did anybody sneaked in from lesser places on list.

Ah, ok ... Wink

Claudia Schmidt (4th) was presented as the ÖVP's candidate for the West before the election, representing Vbg., Tyrol and Salzburg (she's from Salzburg).

Down the list, the 8th was from Tyrol and the 11th from Vorarlberg.

Of course, only 5 ÖVP-MEPs were elected.

Also, I don't think a local candidate would have increased turnout: Western Austria always has lower turnout than Eastern Austria and Claudia Schmidt from Salzburg hasn't changed that either.

I think the fact that more old people live in Eastern Austria than in Western Austria could play a role in the turnout difference.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #582 on: June 07, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

The Feminist Initiative joins the Social Democrat group. Quite surprising for me; I thought they were more radical and would join Greens or GUE-NGL.

Die Ökologisch-Demokratische Partei joins the Green group.

UpyD reports that they have joined the ALDE group which will formally state that it respects the territorial integrity of the member states. I haven't seen official confirmation yet, but I guess CDC and EAJ-PNV won't be too happy.

http://feministisktinitiativ.se/fi-ska-inga-i-den-socialdemokratiska-gruppen-i-eu-parlamentet/

https://twitter.com/Dr_KlausBuchner/status/475247901942509568

http://www.elconfidencial.com/ultima-hora-en-vivo/2014-06-07/upyd-anuncia-su-integracion-en-alde-que-respetara-la-integridad-territorial_280882/
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #583 on: June 07, 2014, 01:35:41 PM »

That's terrible news for Ed Miliband.
swl
France

« Reply #584 on: June 07, 2014, 01:46:59 PM »

What?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #585 on: June 07, 2014, 01:49:04 PM »

The Feminist Initiative joins the Social Democrat group. Quite surprising for me; I thought they were more radical and would join Greens or GUE-NGL.

Their arguments are pragmatic: "Its a bigger group with more power and they have offered us both the positions and resources we wanted".

Looks like they have just been offered a better deal.
Tayya
Sweden

« Reply #586 on: June 07, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

I am also very surprised by FI's decision. I assume many of its voters are too.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #587 on: June 07, 2014, 04:31:23 PM »

Results of the European parliament elections in Bulgaria by province and municipality:

BBT is short for "Bulgaria without Censorship", a new populist party led by a former journalist. ABV stands for Alternative for a Bulgarian Revival, a breakaway faction from BSP, led by former president Georgi Parvanov.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #588 on: June 07, 2014, 11:24:43 PM »

Renzi is supposedly pushing for a a female Commission president and the favorite seems to be Dalia Grybauskaite, President of Lithuania.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #589 on: June 08, 2014, 06:35:52 AM »

Renzi is supposedly pushing for a a female Commission president and the favorite seems to be Dalia Grybauskaite, President of Lithuania.

I have heard different things: Helle T/S (Denmark)

Really, all this backroom talk is nuts - bring on the direct popular vote for President and transform the Commission into some kind of Senate that we are directly electing as well.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #590 on: June 08, 2014, 06:57:36 AM »

Really, all this backroom talk is nuts - bring on the direct popular vote for President and transform the Commission into some kind of Senate that we are directly electing as well.

Source?

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #591 on: June 08, 2014, 07:04:50 AM »

Source?

I was reading it in a local newspaper.

This is one English source I could find:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10882531/Jean-Claude-Juncker-to-withdraw-bid-to-lead-European-Commission-sources-say.html
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #592 on: June 08, 2014, 07:10:16 AM »

You seem to be under the illusion that the Union is some sort of democratic project. Backroom talk is the foundation on which its existence stands on. The Parliament is only there to give some sort democratic credentials and not actually wield any real power, and considering what sorts of results we get in those elections, it's not something that anyone sane actually wants to change. Commissioner Le Pen, that'd be one for the history books.

Also, the commission is the executive branch of the EU, so it would be strange to make that the Senate. Council of Minister would be the the more obvious parallel I think. 
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #593 on: June 08, 2014, 08:11:48 AM »

"A martial arts expert with a black belt in karate, who has said her political heroes include Margaret Thatcher and Winston Churchill".

Just what the EU needs.
Lasitten
Rookie
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

« Reply #594 on: June 08, 2014, 05:02:25 PM »

The German pirate MEP joins Greens/EFA

You must be logged in to read this quote.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #595 on: June 09, 2014, 09:22:13 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2014, 09:24:08 AM by Abdul the Red »

PiS now claims they, in fact, had "won" the election, because of "irregularities".

Reminds me of what happen after Kaczyński's defeat in 2010. First, they nicely conceded, then started screaming bloody murder about "lack of legitimacy" and purged the "moderate" faction, for causing party the harm during the campaign (while, in fact, because of taking a "moderate" image, Kaczyński was so competitive).
swl
France

« Reply #596 on: June 09, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »

More on the formation of groups in the EP: http://europedecides.eu/2014/06/whos-going-where-tracking-the-musical-chairs-in-the-european-parliament/

Deadline is June 24.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #597 on: June 10, 2014, 06:15:13 AM »

If Juncker does not become President of the Commission, that's going to be a disaster. Obviously, he was not my candidate when I casted my ballot, but if you first tell the electorate they will have a saying in electing President, and then you're starting to screw with it, it's pretty much destroys what remains of dream about Democratic EU.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #598 on: June 10, 2014, 06:24:03 AM »

If Juncker does not become President of the Commission, that's going to be a disaster. Obviously, he was not my candidate when I casted my ballot, but if you first tell the electorate they will have a saying in electing President, and then you're starting to screw with it, it's pretty much destroys what remains of dream about Democratic EU.

Well, in fairness, it's not like Europeans seemed to care about the choice either. Considering how little publicity it has drawn, most probably didn't even know they were supposed to choose the commission's president.
Diouf
Denmark
« Reply #599 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »

The Portuguese Earth Party MPT is joining the ALDE group. I would've guessed Greens or EPP as they are described as Green conservatist or agrarian. But there has been rumours that the Latvian Union of Farmers and Greens could end up in ALDE as well so I guess they have been able to present these parties a good package. ALDE is of course generally greener than the EPP, so I guess it's not that weird.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies