How likely is a double digit win for Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:46:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  How likely is a double digit win for Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: How likely is a double digit win for Hillary?  (Read 4098 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:37:41 AM »

Granted it's 2014 and anything can happen, but Hillary seems well poised to win the major swing states (OH, FL) by decent margins, perhaps even bigger ones than Obama. I could also see her matching or even surpassing Obama's margins in NY & CA, and I don't think there's much of a chance the GOP candidate will carry TX by the same 15+ points as Romney, same goes for other well populated GOP states like AZ & MO. Could Hillary win by something like 54-44?
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix
E: 5.55, S: -2.09

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »

Rand Paul would have to run third party for her to win by double digits.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »

It could happen, but it is highly unlikely. I'm banking on Hillary either doing slightly better than Obama or moderately worse, causing her to lose the election. It is much too early to tell whether OH and FL will both go for Hillary by a huge margin. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised for her to lose either or both, even if she still wins the overall election. I think she can get to 53%, but that she will top out there. She might expand the map compared to 2012 by two or three states, but it is probably going to be hard for her to beat the Republican by at least 10 points.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »

I'm banking on Hillary either doing slightly better than Obama or moderately worse, causing her to lose the election.

Well, Hillary is gonna do either better or worse than Obama, so...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:08 PM »

If the Pubs nominate Jindal, Cruz, Perry, or, in his worst case scenario, Christie, it's possible.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 12:09:49 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2014, 12:13:33 PM by Never »

I'm banking on Hillary either doing slightly better than Obama or moderately worse, causing her to lose the election.

Let me rephrase that... I mean that I don't think that Hillary is going to do significantly better than Obama, and that she could very well lose. It seems like a lot of people think that she is headed for a landslide, and I don't think that's the case.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 12:12:41 PM »

Let me rephrase that... I mean that I don't think that Hillary isn't going to do significantly better than Obama, and that she could very well lose. It seems like a lot of people think that she is headed for a landslide, and I don't think that's the case.

With Obama hitting what is basically the Democratic floor with whites (barring a complete collapse) and still getting 51%, and with Hillary's popularity in the Latino community I find it hard to imagine her doing moderately worse.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:58 PM »

Let me rephrase that... I mean that I don't think that Hillary isn't going to do significantly better than Obama, and that she could very well lose. It seems like a lot of people think that she is headed for a landslide, and I don't think that's the case.

With Obama hitting what is basically the Democratic floor with whites (barring a complete collapse) and still getting 51%, and with Hillary's popularity in the Latino community I find it hard to imagine her doing moderately worse.

She could do better with Latinos, but that might be counteracted by having to deal with decreased turnout from blacks, nothing catastrophic, but I would expect her to get about 90-92% of the vote, somewhere between Kerry's share in 2004 and Obama's particularly high share.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »

Rand Paul would have to run third party for her to win by double digits.

Or just run second party.

In all seriousness, each of the prospective establishment choices has some risk of triggering a third party run that could do it, and the other options could trigger it one-on-one. That said, I think there's a fairly slim chance of it. But I'd call it a 50/50 chance right now of a >5 Hillary win (the <5 including her losing).
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:27:24 PM »

I'd guess it's rather unlikely.

While demographic trends favor Democrats, that's more of a long-term proposition. It shouldn't be worth more than a point of the popular vote.

It would be unlikely for Hillary to beat Obama's popular vote. He had several advantages she won't have (ran as an incumbent, better natural campaigner, high African American turnout) and there is a historic tendency going back to before FDR for parties to peak and steadily lose votes in presidential elections.

For Hillary to have a double digit win, she would not only have to beat Obama's numbers, but she would have to do so by a large margin.

One thing that suggests it's within the realm of possibility is the 2006 and 2008 senate elections. In those cycles, Democrats beat Republicans by more than ten points ( 53.8% to 41.8% in 2006, 53.7% to 42.1% in 2012.) Although part of that share is due to noncompetitive elections in New York and California.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 03:39:41 PM »

Miniscule
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »

If she chooses a latino running mate, her upside will be particularily high. And the answer is a resounding yes, very likely I think. Very likely as in 20-25% of the time. (Just a wild guess right now though.)
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:26:53 PM »

If she chooses a latino running mate, her upside will be particularily high. And the answer is a resounding yes, very likely I think. Very likely as in 20-25% of the time. (Just a wild guess right now though.)
I sure hope she picks Julian Castro. That'd be a Palin-esque pick.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Remember when Sarah Palin went to Harvard Law School?  Because I sure don't.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 07:31:34 PM »

Castro is palinesque in terms of experience but he's a tad more intelligent...or much more.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »

Unlikely, though it's only possible for her in 2016. Maybe 10-30% chance. But we can dream.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 07:47:27 PM »

Personally, I'm dreaming of Clinton/Villaraigosa, Clinton/McAuliffe, or Clinton/Kaine.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 08:01:19 PM »

I don't see any politician from either party winning by double digits in this era.

Hillary's 2016 performance would probably be along the lines of Obama's 2008 performance in terms of popular vote. Best case would probably be something like 54-45.
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
« Edited: September 01, 2014, 10:33:09 AM by Political Junkie »

Hillary should receive at least half of the popular vote. She will receive a minimum of 290 EV's and a maximum of 347. I hope she picks either Gov. McAuliffe, Sen. Kaine or Sen. Warner as her running mate. Hillary 2016!
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »

Hillary should receive at least half of the popular vote. She will receive a minimum of 290 EV's and a maximum of 347. I hope she picks either Gov. Cuomo, Sen. Kaine, or Gov. Bill Richardson as her running mate. Hillary 2016!

Cuomo would be a disaster. Richardson is a decent choice if Hillary isn't holding a grudge.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2014, 08:17:12 PM »

Hillary should receive at least half of the popular vote. She will receive a minimum of 290 EV's and a maximum of 347. I hope she picks either Gov. Cuomo, Sen. Kaine, or Gov. Bill Richardson as her running mate. Hillary 2016!

Cuomo would be a disaster. Richardson is a decent choice if Hillary isn't holding a grudge.

Richardson would be a pretty bad choice. He's still got a lot of skeletons in his closet from New Mexico.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2014, 08:19:44 PM »

Richardson would be a pretty bad choice. He's still got a lot of skeletons in his closet from New Mexico.

Yeah, I suppose it's probably better for Hillary to pick someone super clean, given the doubts about her own character among the electorate. I do think she should pick a Latino, since they are more than likely going to be her key to victory.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2014, 08:44:30 PM »

If she chooses a latino running mate, her upside will be particularly high. And the answer is a resounding yes, very likely I think. Very likely as in 20-25% of the time. (Just a wild guess right now though.)

No, it's not.
MurrayBannerman
murraybannerman

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2014, 09:05:04 PM »

Remember when Sarah Palin went to Harvard Law School?  Because I sure don't.
Dubya has degrees from Harvard AND Yale. He is the genius president of our time. Tongue
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2014, 09:08:53 PM »

If she chooses a latino running mate, her upside will be particularly high. And the answer is a resounding yes, very likely I think. Very likely as in 20-25% of the time. (Just a wild guess right now though.)

No, it's not.

I think it is notoriously difficult to determine who a candidate will pick as their running mate. I'm sure that most people expected McCain to pick someone other than Palin, it seemed like Obama was leaning towards Evan Bayh instead of Joe Biden, and many thought that Romney would opt for Rubio as his vice-presidential nominee.

Although we can reasonably expect Hillary Clinton to pick one of her supporters as her running mate, there are so many politicians allied with her that it is tough to see who she actually favors. There are going to be many other factors going into that decision other than ethnicity, and even if Clinton picks a minority running mate, that might only give her a boost of about 1% or so, and that is conditional on whether the running mate is a good pick in their own right. There is always the risk that Hillary could end up with someone on the ticket who provides no boost or even drags down the ticket.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies