Once a cancer, always a cancer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:07:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Once a cancer, always a cancer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Once a cancer, always a cancer  (Read 2823 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »

Article

Seriously, if only he could be defeated, even Cornyn would be a massive improvement.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »

Because a bill written and pushed for by corporate lobbyists is such a shining example of "democracy".

Also, proposing amendments to a legislative bill is hardly undemocratic.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »

Because a bill written and pushed for by corporate lobbyists is such a shining example of "democracy". @@

But killing a bill just in order to sink an opponent's candidacy is. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »

Because a bill written and pushed for by corporate lobbyists is such a shining example of "democracy". @@

Congressmen do that all the time. McConnell is obviously a terrible but so is nearly everyone else in Congress.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »

No, no it is not. I don't get why people expect their political opposition to quit stonewalling, to bend over and spread their ass just because the others guys won the last election.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 06:06:13 PM »

No, no it is not. I don't get why people expect their political opposition to quit stonewalling, to bend over and spread their ass just because the others guys won the last election.
Have you really read the article Chairmansanchez?

This bill was made by Portman and Shaheen, a republican and a democrat, and Mcconnell just did all he can to sink this bill (and successfully). Simply because he wants to sink Shaheen's candidacy.
I fail to understand why you have said that.

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »

Scott Brown's quest to steal one of my Senate seats shows no bounds.

What a piece of sh**t. Considering Wolf has this in the bag I might register in NH just to send this asshole back to Massachusetts where he belongs.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 06:12:05 PM »

Congressmen do that all the time. McConnell is obviously a terrible but so is nearly everyone else in Congress.
I don't think this case has happened a lot recently for saying "so is nearly everyone else in  Congress".

But maybe I'm wrong, I'm not ruling out that. So please, give me other example, I'm interested.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 06:13:11 PM »

This bill was made by Portman and Shaheen, a republican and a democrat, and Mcconnell just did all he can to sink this bill (and successfully). Simply because he wants to sink Shaheen's candidacy.

I read that article, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's politics. You play to win.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »

I don't think this case has happened a lot recently for saying "so is nearly everyone else in  Congress".

But maybe I'm wrong, I'm not ruling out that. So please, give me other example, I'm interested.

Does the article even provide any evidence that this was done specifically because of the 2014 NH-Sen election? I'm pretty sure McConnell would have opposed this bill either way...
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 06:17:22 PM »

I read that article, and I don't see anything wrong with that. It's politics. You play to win.
And in which this isn't "antidemocratic"?
Democracy is a political system made for THE PEOPLE.
When you play this partisan game, killing important legislation, what you do is against the people, so, that's not undemocratic.

Seriously, I understand your point of view, but saying that's democratic, that's definitely not true.

Does the article even provide any evidence that this was done specifically because of the 2014 NH-Sen election? I'm pretty sure McConnell would have opposed this bill either way...
Oh please,...
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 06:21:12 PM »

Kids, you may not remember what politics was like before 2011.  But, once upon a time, Congress would vote on legislation.  People considered that to be their job. 

And, yes, Democrats do this kind of thing too.  Republicans are 15 times worse, at least.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 06:27:48 PM »

It was less him and more of Brown himself.[url]

I've never seen a more loathsome person.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »

Scott Brown's quest to steal one of my Senate seats shows no bounds.

What a piece of sh**t. Considering Wolf has this in the bag I might register in NH just to send this asshole back to Massachusetts where he belongs.

Don't try to palm him off back on us. We just got rid of him.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2014, 11:23:31 PM »

what does any of this have to do with cancer??
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »

McConnell is a Pisces.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2014, 05:17:29 AM »

It was less him and more of Brown himself.[url]

I've never seen a more loathsome person.

Wow, what an asshole. F[Inks] that guy, I hope the voters of New Hampshire thrash him good.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2014, 09:46:49 PM »

Yup this is horrible and happens all the time. Ohio Democratic State Representative Chris Redfern (who I have the sheer utter joy of having represent me in Columbus) attempted to do pretty much the same thing to Ohio's Medicaid Expansion to prevent Kasich from accomplishing something. Of course he failed to do so.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 10:56:52 AM »

I'm confident that this kind of tactics will eventually come back to bite Republicans in the ass. In fact, they kind of already have, considering 2012's outcome, but more is yet to come.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 03:43:50 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2014, 03:45:25 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

I'm confident that this kind of tactics will eventually come back to bite Republicans in the ass. In fact, they kind of already have, considering 2012's outcome, but more is yet to come.
If a net gain of 1-2 seats for the GOP in a class of fairly entrenched Democrats (Shaheen, Franken, etc) is a backfire, then I don't know what is.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 04:08:53 PM »

what does any of this have to do with cancer??

If these tactics succeed and Republicans get control of the government, they will further eviscerate cancer research. They would also repeal Obamacare (though the politics is such that they've become too scared to admit it) which would lead to more people dying of cancer.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 05:20:49 PM »

If a net gain of 1-2 seats for the GOP in a class of fairly entrenched Democrats (Shaheen, Franken, etc) is a backfire, then I don't know what is.

I'm thinking more in the long term (ie, over the next one or two decades), but of course I could be wrong.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »

I'm thinking more in the long term (ie, over the next one or two decades), but of course I could be wrong.
Your dead right in the long term; the filibuster is going to be used by Democrats against the next GOP president, and they (rightfully so) will be looking for blood.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies