who will be on the field first:Ray Rice or Josh Gordon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:24:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  who will be on the field first:Ray Rice or Josh Gordon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: who WILL be on the field first/who SHOULD be on the field first
wife beater/wife beater

pot head/wife beater

wife beater/pot head

pot head/pot head

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: who will be on the field first:Ray Rice or Josh Gordon  (Read 1625 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:39 PM »

I have to roll my eyes at the fake moral outrage by some people over Rice. People are reacting because it was on tape, NFL players have done far more heinous things to women and they have brushed it off and continue to support the league.

Ok? Your point is...? Perhaps this situation carries more weight exactly because it is on film and there is no doubt about it. No "he said, she said" - it's all right there, clear as day. Keep in mind that knowing this footage exists, the team continued to support him whole heartedly. The response or lack thereof from law enforcement is also worrying. 

What is "fake" about being upset at an awful crime committed on video?

Also, please cite examples to your latter claim. I think I may be familiar with a few - none like this exactly - but I'm not sure you are...

It shouldn't and that is my point. Greg Hardy was found guilty of assaulting his girlfriend, yet there is no one out there saying the Panthers should release Greg Hardy(who played yesterday). Why, because it wasn't caught on tape.

People are reacting to the tape, not the crime itself. You take away the tape and everything plays out the same(Rice takes the same plea deal), he doesn't even get suspended and no one would really care.

Domestic violence has been a problem in the NFL for a while now. Like the Sterling debacle, it shouldn't have taking a tape for people to finally speak up about it. 

Ok, it shouldn't have taken video for people to speak out but is it really a problem if it is?

I think most people who are "outraged" were even before the tape was released. I mean, Goodell's hand was pretty much forced by public opinion to make harsher penalties.

I doubt it, Jovan Belcher killed his wife and then himself during a domestic dispute and that barely raised a conversation about domestic violence in the NFL. Hell, the fact the Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald played yesterday without much backlash says to me the Rice case is all about the video, and not really the crime.

What is on video is the crime though... What is your point exactly here? That there is a double standard? That isn't news. People obviously respond differently when there is visible evidence.

Anyway,

Looks like the Ravens actually did release Ray Rice. Not going to congratulate them for making the obvious move, especially since they showed such support in the aftermath.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 01:30:45 PM »

I don't get why the NFL has to suspend people for off-the-field issues.  if they do something bad enough they'll be off the field anyway (Hernandez, Hurd, Plaxico).  if I want morality on my Sundays I'll go to church.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 01:37:43 PM »

I have to roll my eyes at the fake moral outrage by some people over Rice. People are reacting because it was on tape, NFL players have done far more heinous things to women and they have brushed it off and continue to support the league.

Ok? Your point is...? Perhaps this situation carries more weight exactly because it is on film and there is no doubt about it. No "he said, she said" - it's all right there, clear as day. Keep in mind that knowing this footage exists, the team continued to support him whole heartedly. The response or lack thereof from law enforcement is also worrying. 

Also, please cite examples to your latter claim. I think I may be familiar with a few - none like this exactly - but I'm not sure you are...

It shouldn't and that is my point. Greg Hardy was found guilty of assaulting his girlfriend, yet there is no one out there saying the Panthers should release Greg Hardy(who played yesterday). Why, because it wasn't caught on tape.

People are reacting to the tape, not the crime itself. You take away the tape and everything plays out the same(Rice takes the same plea deal), he doesn't even get suspended and no one would really care.

Domestic violence has been a problem in the NFL for a while now. Like the Sterling debacle, it shouldn't have taking a tape for people to finally speak up about it. 

Ok, it shouldn't have taken video for people to speak out but is it really a problem if it is?

I think most people who are "outraged" were even before the tape was released. I mean, Goodell's hand was pretty much forced by public opinion to make harsher penalties.

I doubt it, Jovan Belcher killed his wife and then himself during a domestic dispute and that barely raised a conversation about domestic violence in the NFL. Hell, the fact the Greg Hardy and Ray McDonald played yesterday without much backlash says to me the Rice case is all about the video, and not really the crime.

What is on video is the crime though... What is your point exactly here? That there is a double standard? That isn't news. People obviously respond differently when there is visible evidence.

Anyway,

Looks like the Ravens actually did release Ray Rice. Not going to congratulate them for making the obvious move, especially since they showed such support in the aftermath.

IMO, that is a problem. There shouldn't be a double standard, if we are all going to call for Rice to lose his job, the same should happen to a guy like Hardy, whom was convicted also.

A tape shouldn't make a difference.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 01:55:27 PM »

Anyway,

IMO, that is a problem. There shouldn't be a double standard, if we are all going to call for Rice to lose his job, the same should happen to a guy like Hardy, whom was convicted also.

A tape shouldn't make a difference.

Obviously but it did. Hopefully it sets a new precedent and the other scumbags will be addressed in accordance with that.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 01:56:57 PM »

Now suspended indefinitely by the NFL.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »

God Bless The Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/ravens-lauded-for-brave-decision-to-cut-ray-rice-4,36876/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=LinkPreview:1:Default
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 03:06:48 PM »

Ray Rice - future Oakland Raider.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 04:43:17 PM »

Ray Rice - future Oakland Raider. Dallas Cowboy.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:09 AM »

A look at other domestic violence cases in the NFL that got ignored by the media (and everyone else) because there was no video.  E.g., Terrell Suggs:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 02:46:01 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2014, 03:09:33 PM by DemPGH, President »

This inevitably brings up Roger Goodell, who I have been reading about most of the afternoon and who I think has been really horrible overall. Granted, he represents the interests of the owners, but I mean aside from that. All commissioners do that. There have been his rule changes, the fact that he actually wants more penalties in games, his desire to reinvent everything, the arbitrary fines conducted by a star chamber like group of people who sit and review game film, and now, if it is confirmed that Goodell knew of Rice punching out his wife previously, Goodell has got to go. I definitely prefer a more hands-off commissioner like Tagliabu, who actually understands what football is and maybe has some clue as to how to handle this stuff. Goodell is the worst sort of reactionary, approaches everything negatively, and has fostered a shocking level of resentment and distrust in almost everyone. We don't need him to reinvent football, we need him to go reinvent himself someplace else.

I heard someone from NOW speaking about how we have "to do a better job raising our young men" and blah, blah, blah, and I thought, yeah, but what about raising our young women to make better choices in who their mates are?? It's well documented that it's far more difficult than one would think to sever oneself from an abusive relationship because people tend to normalize extreme behavior that they are close to, even if they recognize it as extreme. This situation needs help, not just FINES and SUSPENSIONS!

The whole situation is a mess - on one level I understand Rice's wife ripping the NFL for how it handled this, for Ray's ouster, and for basically wanting the NFL out of her personal life, but that's because this was so badly mishandled throughout by the NFL and Goodell, which should come as no surprise, and so I think we're beyond the point of no return. This was screwed up, Goodell is a disaster, and Rice needs help.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »

This inevitably brings up Roger Goodell, who I have been reading about most of the afternoon and who I think has been really horrible overall. Granted, he represents the interests of the owners, but I mean aside from that. All commissioners do that. There have been his rule changes, the fact that he actually wants more penalties in games, his desire to reinvent everything, the arbitrary fines conducted by a star chamber like group of people who sit and review game film, and now, if it is confirmed that Goodell knew of Rice punching out his wife previously, Goodell has got to go. I definitely prefer a more hands-off commissioner like Tagliabu, who actually understands what football is and maybe has some clue as to how to handle this stuff. Goodell is the worst sort of reactionary, approaches everything negatively, and has fostered a shocking level of resentment and distrust in almost everyone. We don't need him to reinvent football, we need him to go reinvent himself someplace else.

I heard someone from NOW speaking about how we have "to do a better job raising our young men" and blah, blah, blah, and I thought, yeah, but what about raising our young women to make better choices in who their mates are?? It's well documented that it's far more difficult than one would think to sever oneself from an abusive relationship because people tend to normalize extreme behavior that they are close to, even if they recognize it as extreme. This situation needs help, not just FINES and SUSPENSIONS!

The whole situation is a mess - on one level I understand Rice's wife ripping the NFL for how it handled this, for Ray's ouster, and for basically wanting the NFL out of her personal life, but that's because this was so badly mishandled throughout by the NFL and Goodell, which should come as no surprise, and so I think we're beyond the point of no return. This was screwed up, Goodell is a disaster, and Rice needs help.

Talk about misinformed, the rule changes is on the competition committee, not Goodell.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 09:43:55 AM »

and it looks like most of us were wrong (not as wrong as Goodell, but wrong in the poll), Gordon will see the field today, Rice probably never will again.  That's the way it should be.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies