Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:26:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?
Julian Castro (lock down the west)

Steve Beshear (make the GOP fight hard for Appalachia)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Who would be a smarter (electorally strategic) VP pick for Clinton?  (Read 2321 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2014, 10:11:01 PM »

What do you think?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »

Beshear, but it has nothing to do with making a play for the Upper South.

Beshear's been a popular governor for eight years and that means he's more vetted than Castro. 
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »

Both would be good picks, IMO.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:09 PM »

Julian Castro, especially as he's now the favourite to become Obama's new Secretary of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. However, I guess it's still not 100% sure if he will accept the offer, as he's turned down job offers from Obama in the past. He seems very much inclined to take the job however, according to local media at least.

Washington Post article ("Julian Castro to become HUD secretary"): http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/05/17/julian-castro-being-considered-for-hud-secretary/
San Antonio Express-News article ("Mayor Julián Castro likely heading to Washington"): http://www.expressnews.com/news/news_columnists/brian_chasnoff/article/Mayor-Juli-n-Castro-likely-heading-to-Washington-5485105.php

"In private conversations, though, he’s said an offer from the president to serve as education secretary would have proven tougher to turn down. Also tough to turn down is a chance to run as nominee for vice president alongside Hillary Clinton.

Naturally, speculation has only grown. Last week, ABC’s Robin Roberts asked Clinton whether she’d consider Castro or Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., as her running mate. “They’re both extraordinary leaders and great political advocates for a lot of what needs to be done in our country, and I admire both of them greatly,” she responded.

Former Mayor Henry Cisneros, a mentor to Castro who accepted an offer to join President Bill Clinton’s Cabinet after his own mayoral tenure: “I advised that he accept a position for President Obama,” Cisneros told the New York Times. “I thought that if he was going to be vice presidential material in 2016, then he needed to be more than mayor at that time.”

Where does this leave San Antonio? The City Charter has a preliminary answer. “In the event of a vacancy in the office of the mayor, the remaining council members shall elect from among themselves, by majority vote, a person to serve as mayor for the unexpired term,” it states."
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »

Neither would be a smart pick. Beshear will be in his 70s older than Clinton if he's picked and he's way too conservative to be picked on a national ticket he's pro coal, anti gay marriage, a creationist, anti abortion basically a typical socially conservative Dem. While Castro has little accomplishments as Mayor and HUD is a pretty low profile cabinet position I just don't think he would be qualified or ready as VP at all he has no experience with working with a legislative body either which a VP has to do sometimes.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 12:03:59 AM »

Neither would be a smart pick. Beshear will be in his 70s older than Clinton if he's picked and he's way too conservative to be picked on a national ticket he's pro coal, anti gay marriage, a creationist, anti abortion basically a typical socially conservative Dem. While Castro has little accomplishments as Mayor and HUD is a pretty low profile cabinet position I just don't think he would be qualified or ready as VP at all he has no experience with working with a legislative body either which a VP has to do sometimes.

This.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:14:09 AM »

Castro because Beshear would be a total FU to the base.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 03:41:07 PM »

Castro because Beshear would be a total FU to the base.

So would her nomination Tongue
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »

No, the base wants her to be the nominee. Where do you think her 60-70% support is coming from?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »

No, the base wants her to be the nominee. Where do you think her 60-70% support is coming from?

Let's wait until the primaries are actually underway.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2014, 06:55:30 PM by IceSpear »

Let's wait until the primaries are actually underway.

No need for that. Her and Obama nearly split the party 50/50 in 2008. Was the half of the party that preferred Hillary not the base?

Sure, you can make the argument that Hillary overwhelmingly won Conservadems in Appalachia. But I doubt the Democrats in Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, etc. that Obama won were exactly liberal champions.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »

Beshear would be a great pick in that it would help her expand the map.

Castro would be a terrible pick in that he would be considered way too inexperienced. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 10:24:02 AM »

Only a True Leftists think Hillary Clinton needs a running mate to win the election Roll Eyes  Her 535% approval rating means that even she were to die before the election, she'd still win with at least 100% of the vote.

#ReadyforHillary
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »

Only a True Leftists think Hillary Clinton needs a running mate to win the election Roll Eyes  Her 535% approval rating means that even she were to die before the election, she'd still win with at least 100% of the vote.

#ReadyforHillary

Jokes aside, the specific choice of running mate helps the nominee win approximately 0% of the time. Several realistic running mates for Hillary are from battleground states- Warner, Kaine, Hickenlooper, Brown are debatably smart electoral picks. But much would the most popular of those, Warner, help in his home state? I'd argue very little if at all.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »

Beshear's main problem is his age. That likely excludes him from consideration.

Castro's a solid pick. His combination of experience as a big city mayor and likely cabinet official helps him meet the qualifications threshold. He's young, has an appeal to Hispanic voters, and can be an effective surrogate in the west.

There are some drawbacks with Castro. It'll be a ticket with two members of Obama's cabinet, which results in less flexibility distancing the ticket from the President. And there's some material for Republicans to poke (Is the City Council manager the real power in San Antonio? Should voters opposed to affirmative action back this ticket? Why are Clinton and Castro so cozy with the previous San Antonio Mayor turned HUD Secretary, the one who was arrested?) although it'll largely come down to Castro's talents.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:19 AM »

#ReadyforHillary

Jokes aside, the specific choice of running mate helps the nominee win approximately 0% of the time. Several realistic running mates for Hillary are from battleground states- Warner, Kaine, Hickenlooper, Brown are debatably smart electoral picks. But much would the most popular of those, Warner, help in his home state? I'd argue very little if at all.
It's complex.

Cheney obviously mattered as Veep, but he looked good on paper as much for a businessman turned Governor. If Gore's running mate was Jeanne Shaheen, he would likely have gotten two percent of the vote in New Hampshire, enough to swing the election his way.

LBJ may have been the most significant running mate, given all the states JFK won by less than two and a half points (including Texas.)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2014, 11:37:02 AM »

Kentucky is easier to swing than is Texas. If Julian Castro can swing Texas, then Hillary Clinton gets well over 400 electoral votes, anyway.  Castro at most solidifies a Democratic hold on Colorado and (maybe) helps pick off Arizona. Beshear might aid in picking up Tennessee as well as Kentucky (about the same as CO+AZ) and maybe Georgia, which is even more.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »

#ReadyforHillary

Why should they even have a primary?  Or a general election for that part?  It would just be a waste of money because we all know she'll win in every state.  But yeah, that is the attitude among Hillary supporters.  I'd be really annoyed if the establishment GOP pushed a Christie inevitability narrative to the same degree that the Hillary inevitability narrative seems to be pushed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »

#ReadyforHillary

Why should they even have a primary?  Or a general election for that part?  It would just be a waste of money because we all know she'll win in every state.  But yeah, that is the attitude among Hillary supporters.  I'd be really annoyed if the establishment GOP pushed a Christie inevitability narrative to the same degree that the Hillary inevitability narrative seems to be pushed.

I'm sure they would be if 60-70% of Republican voters supported Christie.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »

The era of an all-white ticket is over I think, for the Democratic Party that is. Do people have any idea of how insulting that is in this era, when already 50% of Democratic voters are non-white? I think the Kerry/Edwards ticket was the last all-white Democratic ticket we'll see in a very long time, and with that I mean for decades probably. At least for a generation or so.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2014, 05:26:06 PM »

The era of an all-white ticket is over I think, for the Democratic Party that is. Do people have any idea of how insulting that is in this era, when already 50% of Democratic voters are non-white? I think the Kerry/Edwards ticket was the last all-white Democratic ticket we'll see in a very long time, and with that I mean for decades probably. At least for a generation or so.
Oh, no, no, no. We WILL see another all-white, male ticket for the Democratic Party. Mark my words. There will be a time in a future cycle, a white Democrat will have to pick a safe, bland white male to make no waves.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 11:50:26 PM »

Gonna go against the grain and say Castro, since Beshear's too old and Castro would probably help with Hispanic voters at the margins. He's not as well-vetted right now, but if her campaign team does a good job vetting him, there's no reason he can't be VP -- a big-city mayor and HUD Secy has executive experience and probably experience appealing to urban voters that Hillary needs to turn out in places like Denver and Las Vegas.

But Castro wouldn't be the best pick; that would be someone a bit older and safer, who's from a swing state and is young to provide a contrast to Hillary's own age -- Michael Bennet, Tim Kaine, or Bob Casey, Jr., come to mind. Sherrod Brown is frequently noticed; he might be a tad too old, but he comes off a good deal younger than his age (early-to-mid-60s) so perhaps he could still work.

The problem for that, for 2016 at least, is that there's really a dearth of possible minority candidates for the Democrats (which is a big part of why Castro keeps being brought up so often). The only black Democratic Senator is Cory Booker, who will probably be too junior in 2014 (and ran kind of an amateurish campaign for his Senate seat, to be honest); there almost certainly won't be a black Democratic Governor in 2016, and if we're talking ex-Senators and ex-Governors the field basically ends at Deval Patrick. There's only one Democratic Hispanic Senator (Bob Menendez, who's too shady to be picked) and no Democratic Hispanic Governors (I suppose unless you count Alejandro Padilla); the only recent former Governor I can think of is Bill Richardson, who is older than Hillary, has been implicated in corrupt dealings, and is known for having illegally visited North Korea; not exactly VP material.

If you go down to the House there's more choices, but candidates usually try to avoid doing that. So if Hillary really wants to pick a minority, her options are very, very limited. I don't know if we'll see another all-white, all-male Democratic ticket (or even Republican), as women in politics become more and more common, but you'll almost certainly see more all-white Democratic tickets.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 03:19:06 AM »

Gonna go against the grain and say Castro, since Beshear's too old and Castro would probably help with Hispanic voters at the margins. He's not as well-vetted right now, but if her campaign team does a good job vetting him, there's no reason he can't be VP -- a big-city mayor and HUD Secy has executive experience and probably experience appealing to urban voters that Hillary needs to turn out in places like Denver and Las Vegas.

But Castro wouldn't be the best pick; that would be someone a bit older and safer, who's from a swing state and is young to provide a contrast to Hillary's own age -- Michael Bennet, Tim Kaine, or Bob Casey, Jr., come to mind. Sherrod Brown is frequently noticed; he might be a tad too old, but he comes off a good deal younger than his age (early-to-mid-60s) so perhaps he could still work.

The problem for that, for 2016 at least, is that there's really a dearth of possible minority candidates for the Democrats (which is a big part of why Castro keeps being brought up so often). The only black Democratic Senator is Cory Booker, who will probably be too junior in 2014 (and ran kind of an amateurish campaign for his Senate seat, to be honest); there almost certainly won't be a black Democratic Governor in 2016, and if we're talking ex-Senators and ex-Governors the field basically ends at Deval Patrick. There's only one Democratic Hispanic Senator (Bob Menendez, who's too shady to be picked) and no Democratic Hispanic Governors (I suppose unless you count Alejandro Padilla); the only recent former Governor I can think of is Bill Richardson, who is older than Hillary, has been implicated in corrupt dealings, and is known for having illegally visited North Korea; not exactly VP material.

If you go down to the House there's more choices, but candidates usually try to avoid doing that. So if Hillary really wants to pick a minority, her options are very, very limited. I don't know if we'll see another all-white, all-male Democratic ticket (or even Republican), as women in politics become more and more common, but you'll almost certainly see more all-white Democratic tickets.

One can think of some other possible minorities.

Gary Locke
Deval Patrick
Hilda Solis
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 07:06:55 AM »

Clinton/Castro or Clinton/Brown ticket.