The Observer - Interview with Maxwell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:48:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Observer - Interview with Maxwell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The Observer - Interview with Maxwell  (Read 4498 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2014, 08:48:08 AM »

The Observer
Article - May 28 2014 / 28 124 AA

The Western Recap
An outlook on what's going on west of the Ol' Man River

The Observer, whose headquarters are located in Portland, Oregon; is currently the only newspaper that serves Atlasia's two western regions - the Pacific and the Midwest. The Observer therefore introduce a new series of articles, dubbed "The Western Recap".

The Midwest just recently had their May Althing and Archduke election, in which Adam Fitzgerald, Sol and Spamage were elected to the region's legislative. The first two, members of the Labor Party, already had been part of the Althing for the last session, while Federalist Spamage replaced fellow Federalist Cris. Archduke Arturo Belano, a Laborite, was reelected unoppossed. The new session has not yet begun; but Mr Snowstalker's lawsuit because of a percieved "unconstitutional" very progressive bill, The Observer reported, is still ongoing; with Mr Snowstalker currently in schedule to file his brief. The Observer will of course report further.

In the Pacific, Council Elections approach - they're scheduled for June 12 - but so far only former Councillor Flo and current Speaker and Editor of this newspaper, Mr Cranberry, have declared a candidacy; which leaves a third council seat open. Appointed Councillor Simfan is unelgible for election, as he is at the same time Attorney General and Game Moderator; and Councillor Devin, a Federalist, is yet not totally sure if he should run, he already declared candidacy for the August Gubernatorial Election.
Should current Governor DemPGH be elected President, a special election will occur, which should be more interesting then the Council Election. Possible candidates include Flo and Devin, but current At-Large Senator Lumine, who recently moved to the Pacific Region, might also consider a run, and would certainly shake up the race with his experience.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2014, 11:00:22 AM »

Should current Governor DemPGH be elected President, a special election will occur, which should be more interesting then the Council Election. Possible candidates include Flo and Devin, but current At-Large Senator Lumine, who recently moved to the Pacific Region, might also consider a run, and would certainly shake up the race with his experience.

Great article, Cranberry!

I can't deny I would like to be Pacific Governor, but Devin has already announced and I trust him to be an excellent Governor (not to mention I just got here and he has been in the region far longer), so I don't have any current plans to run for that race. Great to see I'm a possibility for the office, though, xD
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59:31 AM »

Thanks! Smiley

Well, even though you're new to the Pacific, I guess you'd have better chances against a Laborite as Devin. He is too far right and not particularly liked among certain Laborites, whilst you are percieved as quite centrist. But don't believe either of you that anyone can win against Labor in the Pacific xD
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »

The Observer
Comment - May 29 2014 / 29 124 AA

Nationalising Energy? - Contact your Senators!

Currently on the Senate floor is a bill by Midwest Senator TNF, the "Public Ownership Act of 2014". When enacted, this bill would nationalise the Atlasian energy supply, as well as open up the possibility of nationalising the transportation systems, wherever such would be needed.
This progressive bill would finally give a relief to areas stricken with blackouts, and also prompt economical activities in such areas. It should be clear that these areas are mostly remote rural areas or neighbourhoods with a relatively high share of minorities or people living beneath the poverty line. This bill however would end this inequity, through installing the "Atlasian Energy Authority" which would finally invest also in supply lines and not such search for the quickest and cheapest way possible to make money. Such might be done when it comes to general businesses, but if definitely has no place when dealing with supplying the Atlasian people with their basic needs! Therefore - contact your regional senators, contact your At-Large senators; tell them to vote for this bill, or else....!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2014, 11:46:33 PM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

The Observer
Article - June 3 2014 / 3 125 AA

The Attack of the Libertarians
The Democratic-Republican Party starts an assault to the Senate

With four of our five Regional Senate elections being competetive at the moment, three of these four contesters come from one party - the Democratic-Republican party, a notable libertarian party that currently holds the Governor's Mansion in the Northeast, and until recently the same office in the Mideast, despite being the party with the fewest members of the four major Atlasian political parties.

Current IDS Legislator Maxwell is contesting the longest-serving Senator, NCYankee, for reelection in the South. While initially the campaign was just intended to bring an interesting election to the South, Mr Maxwell's chances are currently viewed as very good - The Observer rates this race as a Pure Toss-Up.

In the Northeast, a region proud of it's strongly independent partisan identity, the Democratic-Republican party has always had it's best chances. Assembly Speaker Deus, a well liked and respected person throughout the region, decided to challenge incumbent Senator Bore, a Laborite for reelection. While initial polls showed a slight lead for Deus, newer polls increased Bore's chances, and The Observer thinks he could make it one again - therefore giving a Lean Labor rating.

The Mideast even has a three-way race - Senator DC al Fine fights against the D-R member Madman Motley and former Governor and former Attorney General Bencostine for reelection. The race is very chaotic at the current stage, yet The Observer feels cofindent enough to give it a Lean Federalist rating.

Remaining Senate Races:

Midwest: Senator TNF (L-MN) vs RR1997 (F-IA)SadLabor Hold

Pacific: Senator Tyrion (L-NM) (currently uncontested): Labor Hold
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2014, 08:32:42 PM »

I have to disagree with the Midwest race being only "lean" since TNF's opponent doesn't seem to have any intention of actually running a campaign, whatever happened last time. The other ranking seem fairly accurate.

It's disappointing that the Pacific seemingly won't have a competitive Senate race either, but I suppose we can't spare many people.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »

Yeah you're right, I changed the rating.
The Pacific is once again sad, but at least we now have an active council of not just older members who came to our region out of pity. Small steps Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 03:23:43 AM »

This is as good as the Pacific is ever going to get.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 01:06:15 PM »

Think positive. One can never know what the future will bring...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »

I first registered in the Pacific nearly seven years ago; I've been around for the majority of its history. I know what will happen.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 04:09:32 PM »

Bore is Atlasia's electoral equivalent of John Barrow. I am fully confident that bore will pull off a victory and secure a fourth term.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »

Bore is Atlasia's electoral equivalent of John Barrow. I am fully confident that bore will pull off a victory and secure a fourth term.

John Barrow wins in a District that Democrats shouldn't win. Bore fits the ideology of the Northeast rather well. Though bore is a survivor.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »

John Barrow wins in a District that Democrats shouldn't win. Bore fits the ideology of the Northeast rather well. Though bore is a survivor.

But since around the time that bore became Senator, the region has taken a turn to the right. It certainly has strong Labor fundamentals (like Barrow's), but could very easily elect a right-winger in the right circumstances. And like you referred to, (two of, I believe) bore's victories have been one/two-vote affairs.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 08:15:48 PM »

Great article, Cranberry!

I can't deny I would like to be Pacific Governor, but Devin has already announced and I trust him to be an excellent Governor (not to mention I just got here and he has been in the region far longer), so I don't have any current plans to run for that race. Great to see I'm a possibility for the office, though, xD
Thanks for the kind words Senator;).
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 08:16:59 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

Well, even though you're new to the Pacific, I guess you'd have better chances against a Laborite as Devin. He is too far right and not particularly liked among certain Laborites, whilst you are percieved as quite centrist. But don't believe either of you that anyone can win against Labor in the Pacific xD
I didn't know that any laborites had an opinion of me besides Flo. Can you tell me who these might be?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:21 PM »

Thanks! Smiley

I didn't know that any laborites had an opinion of me besides Flo. Can you tell me who these might be?

Well, me neither, but I just needed something that it would sound more embellished Wink
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2014, 01:39:30 AM »

especially considering deus is now openly advocating for child labor.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2014, 07:41:00 AM »

What? That could be worth a story...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:34 AM »

What? That could be worth a story...
yup.
I strongly advocate the repeal of Section 8 of the "F"LSA, something which is probably one of the most ridiculous pieces of nonsense to come out of the Senate in a while. The provisions of this section are abhorrent on so many levels. This represents yet another part of the Federal government's war on small farms and small businesses.
[etc., etc., etc.]

what he's referring to:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2014, 09:43:13 AM »

Thanks! Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2014, 09:56:23 AM »

Am I misreading that or does this bill ban all products produced using workers under fourteen, period?
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2014, 01:49:51 PM »

Am I misreading that or does this bill ban all products produced using workers under fourteen, period?
Yep. No more homemade cookies, I guess.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2014, 02:18:15 PM »

lol. I can't believe I missed this the first time around - apparently this passed, 7-2 with people like Yankee voting in the affirmative. Bizarre. Are we to assume that Nikes are banned in Atlasia now?

I'm feeling better about my endorsement of you, Deus. We disagree on quite a lot but I'm glad someone's leading the charge against this. It's now illegal for a teenager to help out in his family's business a couple of hours a week. I won't even start on the fact that conservative Senators inexplicably voted in favour of an insane minimum wage hike. Has Atlasia hit hyperinflation yet? We seem to be spending and spending with no end in sight.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »

Deus' homemade cookies are famous actually.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2014, 02:42:26 PM »

lol. I can't believe I missed this the first time around - apparently this passed, 7-2 with people like Yankee voting in the affirmative. Bizarre. Are we to assume that Nikes are banned in Atlasia now?

I'm feeling better about my endorsement of you, Deus. We disagree on quite a lot but I'm glad someone's leading the charge against this. It's now illegal for a teenager to help out in his family's business a couple of hours a week. I won't even start on the fact that conservative Senators inexplicably voted in favour of an insane minimum wage hike. Has Atlasia hit hyperinflation yet? We seem to be spending and spending with no end in sight.

That bill is a regret of mine in the Senate - I wish I had opposed it even more, and I wish we had kept it within Nix's tenure as President.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies