The Observer - Interview with Maxwell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:24:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Observer - Interview with Maxwell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Observer - Interview with Maxwell  (Read 4491 times)
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2014, 11:25:53 AM »
« edited: September 29, 2014, 10:57:09 AM by Senator Cranberry »

The Observer:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Articles and Interviews:
Interview with Presidential Candidates - Winfield
Interview with Presidential Candidates - SirNick
Interview with Presidential Candidates - DemPGH
Interview with Flo
Interview with Maxwell
The Western Recap I
The Attack of the Libertarians
The Race for Senate Endorsements - PA, MW, IDS
The Era of Good Feeling is Over!
Comments:
#ReadyForDemPGH
Snowstalker vs Midwest
Real Revolutionaries, Centrists and "Grass Roots"?
Nationalising Energy
Making a fool of oneself: The Riley Keaton guide on how to!

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 11:26:56 AM »
« Edited: May 24, 2014, 11:45:39 AM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

Comment
The Observer - May 18th 2014

#ReadyForDemPGH?

My dear readers, come June Atlasia will have had eight months of Federalist/People’s Party/”Independent” – in the opinion of this humble gentleman “rightist” – rule. The honorable Mr President Duke, and his Vice Presidents Matt and Cincinnatus, have done a good job  –  President Duke’s presidency will go into history as an era of betterment and simply “good feeling”, especially in my home region of the Pacific.
Yet, it has not been since November that a true advocate of the common man, a representative of the lower classes, of the huddled masses has been President of this beautiful home of ours. But, there is a reason to rejoice – a time has come when such a man is again running for president, a man that has great chances of winning the honorable office of the presidency.
DemPGH, former Vice President and Governor of the Pacific Region, is, unlike his contenders, a true advocate of the common man’s interests, a representative of all Atlasians. In this gentleman’s humble opinion, it is about time for such a man to ascend to president. This gentleman is ready for DemPGH. Are you as well?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 11:34:23 AM »

Thank God, we've had an alarming paucity of newspapers recently. Best of luck. I look forward to reading this.

Although, of course, you are wrong. Duke has been a President for T/the P/people in every meaningful sense. The Federalist grumbling about him being to the left of Nix didn't come out of nothing.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 11:37:08 AM »

Thanks Smiley

Well, I did never write he wasn't a president for the people. I just wrote that he was no president for the common man, and that is for everyone himself to determine Tongue
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »

Oh, cool, I take it I have a newspaper endorsement. Cheesy

We definitely need a paper or two going, so count me in as a reader.

#ReadyForDemPGH will need to be in the banner if we manage to come up with one. Tongue
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »

Like a bagel place declaring itself "New York's Best Bagels", I highly doubt the newspaper's tagline.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »

Congratulations to Atlasia's newest press barons.

We should have a lot in common, after all, the Winfield/AndrewTX campaign is all about the common man, and woman for that matter.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »

Like a bagel place declaring itself "New York's Best Bagels", I highly doubt the newspaper's tagline.

My dear, I think it is still left to a newspaper to give endorsements. I do not intend to write every article about how good the Laborite and who bad the others are; my articles will be objective. This however was an editorial, and I think they can be biased.

Congratulations to Atlasia's newest press barons.

We should have a lot in common, after all, the Winfield/AndrewTX campaign is all about the common man, and woman for that matter.

I welcome every advocate of the common man, and I will be sure to inform myself thoroughly over your vision for the common man.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 11:42:16 PM »

What's the "common man"? I've never really understood the concept.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »

The common man, Mr Napoleon, is the man you encounter on the streets, is the woman that serves your coffee, the young man that works at the upstairs office, the old woman that works in the factory round the corner. The common man lives in Miami, in Fargo; in San Francisco, in Bangor alike. The common man is everyone, yet just a single person. The common man is the masses, yet lonely. You're the common man. Everyone is.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:01:24 PM »

Thank you for the kind words, dear cranberry. I can assure you, my administration has had The People in mind every step of the way. We are focused on the long term and helping people get jobs and keep jobs. While I haven't supported every piece of legislation that has come my way that claims to help people, I do sign things I feel will best allow The People to flourish, small businesses to succeed, and corporations to maximize their potential without hurting and abusing employees.

I am a man of The People. I have felt their hearts beat in my hand, their tears fall on my shoulder, and their cries fill my ears. I have been and will always be an advocate for Their needs and I will continue to be until the day I am carted off to hell.

We have by no means been perfect, but I am confident that when I leave office, The People will be better off than they were before. Hell, the Pacific being back is a big enough reason, and I couldn't have done it without Oakvale and DemPGH playing along with me.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 11:39:56 PM »

I am deeply honoured by you reading my newspaper, Mr President!
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 11:47:42 PM »

Are you taking applications for writers? Or maybe an interview?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 11:53:32 PM »

Any journalist who wants his article published can send me this article, and I will publish it. So yes.
Regarding interviews - currently I'm doing a couple ones myself, after they're published they can be published, too.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »

Alright thank you.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2014, 10:14:09 AM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

Comment
The Observer - May 20th 2014

Mr Snowstalker's newly found affinity with social conservatism
A marxist revolutionary that wants to deny LGBT citizens their rights to equality

Just recently Mr Snowstalker proofed not only that he is a false revolutionary and splitter-candidate, running on a “Marxist” platform with a Libertarian; but also a socially conservative reactionary, preaching sermons of inequality and bigotry against LGBT citizens throughout his own, newly found home region of the Midwest.
The AlÞing of the Midwest, a legislative assembly renown for enacting progressive legislation, recently passed the “Midwest Fitzgerald-Cris-Sol Compromise, LGBT Equality, Hate Crimes and Suicide Prevention Act“, a legislation that surely will help LGBT teenagers of the Midwest region on their difficult path to find and accept their own sexual orientation, as well as their identity. Yet Mr Snowstalker seems to be an opponent of the LGBT-cause, otherwise it is not explainable how he could file lawsuit against the Midwest because of this bill at the Supreme Court, on May the 18th, 2014.

Mr Snowstalker's argumentation is completely incomprehensible, at least to this writer – he quotes “Any business, school or anyone else seen denying anyone who's LGBT the same rights as others will be subject to fines and lawsuits. Instances of this includes (…) to firing, (…) failure to allow the admission of an LGBT student into a school (...).”, claiming the bill would it make illegal for employers to fire LGBT employees and schools to refuse LGBT students; even though it is explicitly stated that fines and lawsuits would only be subjected should the regarding instance deny LGBT citizens the same rights as others; speak if LGBT citizens are fired or not accepted to schools because of their orientation. Mr Snowstalker also claims that the prohibition of among others ”verbal abuse” (against LGBT citizens) is an unconstitutional violation of the right to free speech. Following Mr Snowstalker’s argumentation, that would make it legal for anyone to disparage, decry and defame another person, yet illegal for the government to prevent an especially vulnerable part of the population from such verbal harassment. Does Mr Snowstalker really want to live in such a world?  
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2014, 11:45:17 AM »

I have agreed to not discuss the case publicly until writ of certiorari is officially granted, but lololol
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2014, 08:29:34 AM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 08:32:40 AM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

Article and Interview
The Observer - May 21st 2014

The Observer - Interviews with Presidential Candidates
Part 1: Winfield

The Observer is proud to deliver exclusive first-hand interviews with the candidates in this JUne's presidential election. Independent candidate Winfield of Rhode Island, running alongside AndrewTX of the Lone Star State, was the first to give us answers.

Q1: If you sum up your career in Atlasia, what would you point out as your most important accomplishment?

Answer:
I have served as Lieutenant Governor, Governor, multi term Representative, Assembly Speaker in the Northeast, and it has been my honor to serve the people of the Northeast in each of these capacities.  I authored the ground breaking Vote Sanctity Act in the Northeast, which makes it impossible to tamper with the voting in the Northeast.

When I became Governor, the Northeast was at, I believe, a low point.  Working with the Assembly, offering encouragement and advice, and providing guidance and leadership, we were able to pull ourselves out of this troubled time in our history, and look forward to the future with confidence and enthusiasm.  The Northeast continues to this day as an active, vibrant region in Atlasia, thanks to the hard work of the citizens and public officials of our region.  I like to think that I played some part in this rejuvination by offering the leadership that was necessary at the time in order for for us to accomplish this.

But my greatest accomplishment, I believe, is the open and frank dialogue, the sharing of ideas, that I have had the privilege of having with not only the people of the Northeast, but with Atlasians from coast to coast, as I have run for President in the past.  Open and frank dialogue is another of the bedrocks of democracy.

In summation, then, if you want to call it my greatest accomplishment, although I look upon it more as a great privilege for me, is the fact that I have been able to reach out to Atlasians from all across this nation, from all walks of life, share ideas, share dialogue, share hopes and dreams, and hopefully, making a positive difference in the lives of Atlasians, through the democratic process, helping to make life better for Atlasians through solid and positive legislation, this I would consider to be my greatest accomplishment.  

Q2:What is it that would make you a better president than your contenders?

Answer:

This Presidential election has very good candidates, and I can see each having a positive influence on Atlasia.

To me, the question what would make you a better president than your contenders? is somewhat subjective in nature.  I am sure each of us, and indeed voters, have their own ideas and criteria on who would make a better president.

Some would offer experience, some a legislative record, some their ability to work with a legislative body, some demonstrated leadership.

In this election, as in all elections in Atlasia, the voters will decide who has the leadership qualities they want to see in a President.

Since I can only speak for myself, in addition to those qualities mentioned above, let me point out what leadership qualities I offer:

Vision
Integrity
Dedication
Magnanimty
Humility
Openness
Creativity
Fairness
Assertiveness
Sense of Humor

Whether these qualities will make a better president than any of the other candidates I do not know.  What I do know is I believe I have the qualities that will enable me to serve well as President.

The voters will decide.

Interview continued
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2014, 08:31:32 AM »

Continuation of Interview

Q3: How do you mean to accomplish the needed majority of voters to elect you President?

Answer:

All I can do is present my case to the voters, telling them our views, our platform, our vision for the future.  My outstanding running mate, AndrewTX, and I shall be reaching out to  Atlasians from all across this nation, offering them an administration that puts the highest priority on the people of this nation, ahead of party or ideological consideration.  We very much value the input of Atlasians into our campaign, and we shall be listening to them.  The people are the boss, not the candidates, as far as we are concerned.    

Q4: If you are elected President, what will be the first thing in office you will do?

Answer:

If elected President, I will have been granted a mandate by the people of Atlasia to enact our legislative agenda.  My administration will act quickly on our campaign programs.

I will be reaching out to the regions, the Governors, the regional officials, and to the people for their input.

Ours shall be a people first administration.

Q5: Currently, many complain that the game is not as exciting anymore as it has been; there is talk on game reform or even re-boot. What is your particular stance on this issue?

Answer:

I am of the view that forum participants are going to come and go regardless of the way the simulation is played.  There are any number of reasons why members leave the forum, some for a period of time, some may never return.

I believe the fundamentals of the game are sound.  I also believe that changes for the good should always be considered.

Secession of a region or regions from Atlasia, or secession of a state or part of a region from a region, however, should not be tolerated.  This deprives members of these areas from participation in Atlasia unless they change regions.  No one should be deprived of participation in Atlasia as members of their regions.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:47:41 AM »

Article and Interview
The Observer - May 22nd 2014

Part 2: SirNick

The Observer's interview series goes on, this time with SirNick, former King in the North as well as former Game Moderator. SirNick, a member of The People's Party of New York is running alongside Northeast Governor Dallasfan of Massachusetts, a member of the libertarian Democratic-Republican party. SirNick is viewed as the centre candidate in this race, a niche our current president Duke successfully filled in his two runs for the presidency; it is however expected that he could gain votes especially from fiscal conservatives, as center-right candidate Winfield is percieved as too populist by many conservatives, including the "Mideast Telegraph", a notable conservative newspaper.

Q1: If you sum up your career in Atlasia, what would you point out as your most important accomplishment?

Answer:

Oddly, I think my short tenure as Game Moderator was one of the most important things I did personally. It helped me realize how broken the "game engine" is. People --especially like me who love writing "What if" scenarios--should want to be part of the game engine, the Game Moderator.

However, the way the job is setup is too much for one person. The reforms I've proposed should make the job easier but at the same time we need to make the storylines that the GM writes have a real effect on Atlasia. Many times they go ignored --and this is something we'll need to debate in order to find a solution.

Q2: What is it that would make you a better president than your contenders?

Answer:
What makes me better than the other contenders is that if you read our platform, and read what I and Dallasfan have accomplished, and if that appeals to you --then we're the right ticket for you. If your goals and our goals --and your values and our values matchup then thats what makes us a better choice.

Now it doesn't have to be a perfect match (you'll never have one) , but when they come close --thats good enough.

Q3: How do you mean to accomplish the needed majority of voters to elect you President?

Answer:

Through listening,  debate, hardwork and probably a good deal of compromise.

Q4: If you are elected President, what will be the first thing in office you will do?

Answer:

The first thing I will do is begin a robust debate on how to increase activity. After the debate peroid is over (I will set one), I will take immediate action whether it is via outreach, legislatively or executive action. I think the President's most important job is to sustain the game. I don't think previous presidents have given it their all when it comes to increasing activity. I think we can do more. I certainly will try.

Q5: Currently, many complain that the game is not as exciting anymore as it has been; there is talk on game reform or even re-boot. What is your particular stance on this issue?

Answer:

I think people will always be nostalgic about yesterday...they will always think the grass was greener at some other point in time. While our participation levels aren't horrendous I would like to see it increased.

I'm for a constitutional convention, but not one without clear goals. We need to debate it beforehand, and we need leadership on it. I hope that Dallasfan and I will be able to provide that leadership whether or not we are elected. I think our platform and ideas would prove valuable.

I oppose a reboot because many players have worked hard on laws that have been passed. We can make the Wiki easier to use --albeit that may be painful--and we can make the constitution easier to understand but we shouldn't undo years of work. Its amazing that this game has lasted this long, lets keep it going.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 11:42:23 AM by PA Speaker Cranberry »

Article and Interview
The Observer - May 23rd 2014

Part 3: DemPGH

The Observer is proud to present the final part of its interview series with the June Presidential Election candidates. DemPGH, the Laborite Pacific Governor of Washington, is seen as the major candidate on the left wing of the Atlasian political spectrum. He and his running mate Windjammer, Midwest Governor of Montana and also a member of the Labor Party, can rely on Labor as their base of votes, yet have also recieved endorsements from Federalists or former members of The People's Party.

Answer
:
First off, it’s good to see a couple papers springing up! Such can only be good for the game, and thank you for the interview.
     We’ve had some noteworthy accomplishments in the Pacific despite our activity struggles; things seem to have stabilized. We passed a new constitution, readjusted our taxes to be more business friendly, approved a stimulus for which I am very grateful to the Duke administration, passed an infrastructure bill, and we are now upgrading textbooks, emphasizing STEM, bringing renewable energy to the forefront, and offering business loans through the stimulus money.
     I’ll work the same way at the federal level. I’ll work to make everything that comes to the floor better because I have the patience and the experience to do it. I’ve been able to work with Federalists, TPP, and Labor in doing so in the Pacific. In only six months, though, it is incredible how many people have come and gone!

Q2: What is it that would make you a better president than your contenders?

Answer
:
I think what makes me stand out is that I am a current and active governor, teamed up with another current and active governor, in a region that has struggled to be active, to put it mildly. At one point shortly after PJ left we didn’t even have a council, and after all that to be able to do the things I mentioned in Q1 makes me ideal for the job. I will move the Senate onward.
     I also have real life work and academic experience that means I can speak from experience about education and other things that we work on here, and if elected, I may be one of Atlasia’s older President’s – in my ripe old 30s Tongue.
     I am also a former V.P., so I know firsthand how the Senate functions.
     Finally, I am proud to carry endorsements of two recent former Presidents. That they would put their trust in me is flattering!

Answer
:
Well, it boils down to two things: Understanding your audience and building as many positive relationships as you can. You also have to understand that you can’t reach everybody.
     I always advise people to play to their strengths, whatever they may be, and hopefully it will be recognized!

Answer
:
If I’m elected, the first thing I will do is during lame duck week, and that is that I’ll try to nail down the cabinet. I’ve already heard from a couple people about possibly serving if I’m elected, and that’s cool. I want above all active people. If I can have a cabinet ready to roll, I’ll be able to start with the statutes and advising the Senate in the first hour.
     Systematically, we’ll open an office, fully review the queue, and organize the executive slots.

Answer
:
First and foremost, we have to keep an open mind. There is small, needed change within the game that I am saddened to see many oppose, like having the SoFE administer constitutional amendments in one thread. I’m baffled by how that could be construed to be an assault on the regions. It’s streamlining a facet of the game that needs to be streamlined.
     I’ve supported a new Con-Con, although I realize that it is not the end-all and the be-all. It would, though, give us an opportunity to tighten up the current constitution and to possibly lay the framework to achieve a new government and / or a reboot. I feel that this would provide a break from the status quo and certainly give the new people who have come into the game since the last constitution a chance to jump in to shape a new game.
     “It won’t work because this, this, this,” I hear. But new people have joined in the last four years! Maybe it would.
     However, I’m not naïve. If we cannot even put the SoFE in charge of amendment voting in a single thread, I doubt we’ll able to achieve a reboot, but I will keep an open mind.
     Meanwhile, as President my focus will be on the business at hand: An active cabinet and shaping the law of the land!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »

Comment
The Observer - May 24th 2014

Real Revolutionaries, Centrist and "Grass Roots"?
An outlook on where June's candidates really stand

Alright, let's sum up who we have in this presidential race - a marxist revolutionary and a libertarian; two liberal governors out of the West; a northeastern somewhere centrist ticket and a independent "grass root" campaign on the right side of the spectrum. Yet, is everyone of these candidates truly what he seems to be?

Mr Snowstalker, the Left Front's candidate, has more drawn attention with bizzare statements on what he will do with his first pick for running mate then with actual policy. Mr Snowstalker is the only presidential candidate that refused to give The Observer an interview, as well as the only one to not releas any information regarding his platform.

Moving on to Mr Winfield, whose campaign seems to have lost force and engagement in the game. While he struggles to get backing of the center-right voters, his endorsement list is very short; and now the most influential rightist newspaper in Atlasia, The Mideast Telegraph, is trying to get Mideast Governor Riley Keaton to run. The "Rise of the Grass Roots" seems not to be really working.

Finally, Mr SirNick, a candidate that more and more tries to appear as a real "centrist" candidate, yet whose voter base is shifting more and more to the right. This happens at a time where brisant new details on SirNick's partially rightist views start to uncover - while Northeast Governor, SirNick stated "I've always felt if an employer [in the private sector] wanted to fire someone, the employer should be able to. Don't like your yellow pants? Boom, fired.". This bizzare statement was posted in the discussion thread of an act repealing a very progressive, pro-labor legislation, "The Employees Fair Treatment Act of 2013". The repeal eventually failed, with even Mr Winfield voting against the repeal; but what remains is the question who such a statement can come from a real "centrist" candidate, who at the time even was a member of the Labor Party! Maybe Mr SirNicks pick of a libertarian running mate was not only to show he was able "to work with nearly anyone"?
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 08:09:58 AM »

Article and Interview
The Observer - May 25th 2014

Politics in the Western Regions
Interview with Pollster and Former Councillor Flo

The Observer is currently the only newspaper operating in the Western Regions of Atlasia. Therefore, this newspaper will now draw their focus also on politics in the two Western Regions - the Midwest and the Pacific. The Observer hereby is happy to announce an exclusive interview with former Pacific Councillor and Speaker Flo, currently residing in Fairbanks, Alaska where he operates his influential polling institute - North Star Polls.

Q1: You have had some positions in your Atlasian career. What position would you hold as your most important so far?

Answer:
Well the only political office I've held is Pacific councilor. So I'd have to say that.

Q2: The Presidential Election approaches. Who would or did you endorse, and why?

Answer:
I endorsed DemPGH and Windjammer, both of these gentlemen have done wonders for their region and I feel if we elect them that they can work for the people, and continue the prosperity we've experienced under President Duke.

Q3: Activity and Game Reform are often cited as problems or difficulties in Atlasia. What is your stance on this issue?

Answer:
I've always been in favor of three regions and I still hold that position today.

Q4: How do you view the current state of the game in general?

Answer:
It's pretty inactive, compared to when I first came here, the only activity seems to be politicians declaring their candidacies. That's why I went on that gif rampage a month or so ago, I wanted to start some discussions, but none were started Tongue.

Q5: Should Gov DemPGH be elected President, the Governor's Seat in the Pacific would be vacated. Do you plan to run for this office, should Gov DemPGH be elected President?

Answer:
Obviously. If DemPGH doesn't win, I won't run, since he's been a great Governor, especially his second term.

Q6: What are your overall plans for the future?

Answer:
At one point run for Governor and I'd stay in the Pacific and do my best to help the economy and the environment.
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »

Comment
The Observer - May 24th 2014

SirNick stated "I've always felt if an employer [in the private sector] wanted to fire someone, the employer should be able to. Don't like your yellow pants? Boom, fired.".

I find it hard to believe that Sirnick has ever said anything like this. He was a Laborite as recently as a few months ago.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=185899.msg4019977#msg4019977
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »

The Observer
Article and Interview - May 27 2014

Interview with IDS Legislator and Senate Candidate Maxwell

The Observer is happy to provide an exclusive interview with current IDS Legislator and Senate Candidate Maxwell, a member of the Democratic-Republican Party and until recently Snowstalker's running mate for president. The Observer met Maxwell in the suburbs of New Orleans, Louisiana; where to he has fled from the Labor convention in the downtown.

Q1: You have been part of the game for quite a time now. Could you sum up your Atlasian career, and maybe point out the most important positions?

Answer:

Well, I started out as the First Governor of the Midwest. Well, not really: before I was Governor, there was a role called Wisard Extraordinaire, that was supposed to do elections. I won the election because I was the only one that ran seriously. From there on, I tried my hardest to rush activity in the region. The success story is now there - it's one of the most active regions alive now. And that's because of my constant contact with the people of the Midwest, getting such wonderful people like Lumine and Windjammer to become leaders and push more people over to the region.

My next job was as an At-Large Senator. This was the area where my biggest legislative accomplishments came about - elimination of the farm subsidy program, and reform of our space program. I view both of these as successes, along with a large reform of our rules so that we can eliminate inactive senators quicker.

I was also Chairman of the Federalist Party, and while I didn't enjoy my time as leader of the Party organization, there is no question the success we accomplished under my leadership. Before I came to power, we had few Senators in the party, by the end of my chairmanship we had a strong minority in the Senate and a President. My opponent is the current leader of the party, and I wish him well in that, but I've moved on from the Federalists and the Democratic Republican Party is a better fit.

Finally, before my IDS Legislator job, I was Attorney General, and I regret taking the position because of my flawed tenure in the role. I worked some to help wiki, but clearly not enough. I am adding a little bit every day in the hopes that we eventually catch up as a citizen, but one issue I want to work on is wiki responsibility, because it seems like no Attorney General since DemPGH has even tackled the issue effectively.

Q2: You have been elected as a Libertarian in the most liberal region, the Midwest. Would you say that this difficulties and differences with most of your electorate have strengthened you?

Answer:

The Midwest was in pretty dire straits when I was elected, and I governed as a pragmatist. I established the first tax code of the Midwest, and it was deeply progressive. Since then I have made efforts to bring forward supply side reforms, and taxes have been somewhat relaxed since then. I think it's strengthened me as a candidate because it has pushed me to be able to negotiate and be reasonable. If I had been a part of the Mideast let's say in my original tenure, I may have not been the same way.

The short answer: Absolutely it has.

Q3: You are currently running against long time senator NC-Yankee. Why are you the better choice for the IDS, and what is different between you and Yankee?

Answer:

Before I get into why I think I'd be a better Senator, I will say what I truly think and say that Yankee has been a great Senator for a long time. It's been a great honor working with him in my previous tenure as Senator, and as a leader in the Federalist Party back during my days as Chairman. With all that, I do have to say that I think Yankee has a different attitude than I like sometimes. When legislation comes along, sometimes its hard for people to vote against things because they put hard work into those bills. I think I'll be a better Senator because I'll be more able to represent and say no to those bills.

The differences between me and Yankee are clear - I think I will be better able to defeat some of the toxic legislation that comes out of Nyman, I will propose more protections to our civil liberties, and I will push for a supply side economic solution to our current unemployment problems by reducing our business taxation. Probably the biggest difference between Yankee and I is immigration, but that is an issue that has been done for a while, unless we wish to open the book on it. I am closer to an open borderer, and he's one of few Atlasians, that I've seen at least, be a strong proponent for a stronger border. I think my position is more closely related to those of the IDS.

Q4: What are your overall plans for the future?

Answer:

If I am elected to the Senate, then that will be my future. If not, I feel like maybe not right away, but someday, I would want to be Emperor of the great IDS. My best days were as a Governor, not as a legislator, and I think that's because there I am more able to wield an iron fist and make people do my bidding *maniacal laughter*

But seriously, being a Governor is a great thing, and judging from the Presidential field, we see that being Governor is a great stepping stone and experience before becoming President. And by the way, even though I have been a multiple time Presidential candidate, whether its the bottom or the top of the ticket, I will probably not run for President ever again. It seems like an all too demanding job that gets you no love.

Q5: What is your stance on the now often discussed option of Game Reform?

Answer:

I want there to be some Game Reform, but what is being discussed currently does less for activity than these papers do. A full reboot of the laws will mean we will propose these laws again and it feels like a waste of time.

I have ideas of my own, too. Instead of putting wiki entirely on the shoulders of the Attorney General, why doesn't the Dean of the Senate get the job done as well? Allowing their to be more people responsible will make it so that the wiki doesn't get so out of date.

In addition, I think one thing that could help is communication, between the regions and the Federal Government, over certain things. Some of the problem has been inactive governors, but the problem has also been either Presidents or Senators who fail to contact those governors. I believe that before we get into a large scale reboot of the game, we need to look at other options. I think of a reboot as sort of a nuclear option, a last resort if you will, and hope the Senate can come to some other agreement.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies