The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:13:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper  (Read 2607 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »
« edited: June 25, 2014, 09:48:17 AM by Former Assemblyman Cassius »

So, I'm unemployed. Oh well, time to become a media baron Wink

I hereby announce the creation of a new newspaper. The Mideast Telegraph will cover political news from across Atlasia, but with a special focus upon the politics of the nation's heartland; the Mideast Region. I will be happy to allow for guest editors to publish articles and will welcome offers to partake in interviews. So, onwards and upwards with the Mideast Telegraph!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:42:59 PM »

Excellent!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 12:47:05 PM »

Great to see another newspaper! All the best luck! Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »

Excellent news!
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:33:23 PM »

I am so glad that SNC helped to kickstart a media revival. Now we have to make sure it is sustained.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:47:47 PM »

Excellent idea! I will gladly contribute from time to time - as always in a completely objective and neutral way, of course. Tongue
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:15 PM »

Thank you to all for your kind words. Now, let's kick this paper off!

Opinion: The state of the Presidential race

Now, there's been a lot of talk recently about how the conservative side of Atlasia is rallying behind the campaign of former Governor Winfield for the Presidency. I will not deny that Mr. Winfield has some fine qualities. However, aspects of his campaign seem rather troubling, and conservative voters should take a pause to examine what, so far, seems to have been his flagship policy; namely, this 'special business tax' which, if elected, he plans to levy upon firms that received bailouts, and so far have not done the 'responsible' thing, and paid back the money. Now, I myself am not too gung-ho about bailouts (though, of course, they have an important place). On the other hand, I am unsure as to the wisdom of a policy that seeks to impose a new tax upon business. This, by my reckoning, smacks of pure populism, an impression further reinforced by Winfield's railing against executives bonuses.

This is not all; a generally populist, indeed, at a pinch anti-business line can be seen in many of his speeches. I'm a realist, and Winfield, at the moment, seems the most tolerable of the four candidates in this race. But it is deeply troubling when the vice-presidential nominee of the Labor party seems to have a better record on business taxation (Governor Windjammer reduced Corporation Tax in his region by 20 percent). It may be that Winfield does become the standard bearer for the right in this election. But, in my humble opinion, unless he axes this tax from his platform, this paper will not endorse him, in the hope of a more congenial candidate throwing his or her hat into the ring. Of course, Winfield may pull some policies out of the hat that may convince this paper to support him. In the meantime, we shall have to wait and see.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 03:22:17 PM »

Hello Cassius. Some infos for you:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Governor windjammer
[/quote]
In exchange of a tax cut, workers got additional pay days! (not 225 additional pay days of course, but if I recall correctly, the federal law: this is something like 200 pay days)

Best
Windjammer
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 03:58:56 PM »

This and the Observer will do immeasurably more for activity than a ConCon could.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 04:38:54 PM »

Thanks once more for all the positive feedback!

Opinion: The Public Ownership Act of 2014

So, it appears that Nyman's resident revolutionary, Senator TNF, has introduced a bill to nationalise all energy companies. This bill, frankly, is unlikely to pass, and with good reason. First of all, he concedes (somewhat unexpectedly), that the existing firms will have to be compensated. But the details of the proposed package are somewhat lacking. Of course, it would come at great cost to the tax-payer. But, anyway, what will nationalising the fuel and power companies achieve. Well, for one thing, a large new admistrative body is to be established to undertake the enormous task of trying to manage such a behemoth. The administrative costs of such a scheme will doubtlessly be very high. So, this bill essentially will impose a greater burden upon the already overtaxed citizens and firms of Atlasia.

Furthermore, will the creation of an enormous, government-backed monopoly really help reduce waste and improve the dynamic efficiency of this sector. Again, I have my doubts. Now, the profit-motive is by no means a cure-all; indeed, in some circumstances, it can actually be a scourge. But in this case, I fail to see how the creation of an organisation which essentially has no incentive to reduce it's costs other than the goodwill of its directors will possibly more dynamically efficient. Competition in these markets stimulates research and development; the dead hand of monopoly will not. In short, there is no reason to break with the status quo on this issue, and thus I would advise all Senators to vote against this bill.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 02:25:09 PM »

Interview: Exclusive with Senator Lumine, discussing his political career, game reform, the Duke administration and the Presidential election

Lumine; he's had a long political career, serving both as a Governor and as a Senator, as well as mounting a strong challenge for the Presidency back in October 2013. His career, like everyone's (I should know) has had its ups and downs, but Lumine seems confident for the future, both his own and that of Atlasia. It was a pleasure listening to him answer my questions.

The Interview:

Question 1. You've had a pretty extensive career as an elected official, serving as both Governor of the Midwest and as a Senator. During all your time in elected office, what, in your opinion, was your proudest moment?

My proudest moment? I would be tempted to say that there are two of them, both in the form of months that were especially productive in terms of accomplishments and events: October 2013 and February 2014, that is to say my Presidential campaign and my Senate campaign/end of term as Governor. While looking back it’s easy to recognize that my campaign for President was premature, I felt proud to be able to articulate a successful centrist campaign, winning third place (even surpassing our current frontrunner for the Presidency) and having the support of people from all parties. February 2014 is a moment in which I cease being Governor after six months, and while it is the moment in which I lose to TNF, I take pride on losing with dignity and seeing a Midwest that was much more active and ready for the future.

Question 2. Recently, you decided to move regions, from the Midwest to the Pacific and additionally to switch from the People's Party to the Federalist Party. What were your chief reasons for doing so?

It is a drastic change, isn’t it? Well, this is not a decision that comes lightly, and it’s not one that comes without thinking about it for a long time. As I said before, I am closer to the Federalist Party on a series of key issues (Economics, Foreign Policy, and so forth), I have a good relationship with most of its members, and overall I feel I can do more here. The People’s Party is a party with a solid message and mission, and it has some of the best Atlasians, but after months of centrist parties struggling to rise, I have grown a little bit tired. The region change is easier to explain in the sense that I did everything I wanted to do in the Midwest, and I love new challenges. Windjammer has done a very good job as Governor, but the Pacific is a region that still needs more active people, and I want to see what I can do for the region.

Question 3. In recent weeks, there has been a growing chorus in favour of 'game reform'. What, if any, measures related to game reform are you inclined to support?

At this stage? Probably all of them. Well, the reboot is probably not the best idea considering all the hard work involved in legislating for the past ten years, but Former President Cynic is right when he points out that Atlasia has survived 10 years, more than any other political simulation. Our current system needs some change, and I believe introducing new challenges, new possibilities and different offices will do wonders to stimulate the interest on the game. I fully support the Constitutional Convention, and I am a supporter of the Westminster Parliamentary system as well. I am aware most American players would prefer their system, but I believe the Westminster system is worth a try, especially when it looks suited to the game. I was mocked by the “Shadow Cabinet” we created for the Progressive Union, but that idea had a lot of potential.

Question 4. As we all know, the race for the Presidency in June is now hotting up. However, before we move onto your thoughts on the current state of the race, let's look back at the Duke administration. Do you believe Duke has perfomed well as President?

I do. Duke has presided over a great administration, and I think he will fare very well in the history books, just as Nix did a great job. I should point out, however, that there are significant differences between both terms of this administration. The first term, for example, was extremely interesting, with an active cabinet (including friends like GAworth and Superique) and a strong push for regional reform that sadly failed. The administration had a message, a very active role and the willingness to push for a very demanding task. In comparison, and while Duke is still doing a fantastic job (let’s remember he has to deal with a lot of issues), the second term was forced to face the problem of inactivity across the nation, which then led to stagnation. We see the President pushing for new and innovative solutions in Health Care and Education, and Cincinnatus doing a marvelous job as the Vice-President, but I think the White House should retake that active public role of the first them (despite how demanding it is on time, and we are all short on time), because by doing so they would be able to push the agenda more efficiently. At this point, we should all admit that most Atlasians don’t follow the Senate very carefully, and that is a problem.

Question 5. Moving onto the election itself, there's a relatively narrow field of four this time round. What are your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of each candidate. Also, do you believe that there are any gaps in the race that could be exploited by as yet undeclared candidates?

Despite being a narrow field, I can’t stress how happy I am that we have an active race this time around, after such a disappointing election in February (although the Federalist Primary was very fun to watch). So far DemPGH seems like the strongest candidate in light of his role as someone who unites the Federalists while appealing to centrists like Butafly and Scott, some sort of “reverse Duke” in merely electoral terms. Alas, Labor is growing bold on many issues, so that might turn off some crucial voters. Snowstalker has been either ignored or mocked, but I think it’s brave from his to launch this candidacy and stick to his beliefs while denouncing Labor. SirNick is my favorite candidate as he has the record, the skills and a fantastic running mate to unite the center, but he will be forced to compete with DemPGH in that zone. Winfield has the advantage of having a couple powerful endorsements, but I can’t see him as the true nominee of the center-right for some reason, and here is when we arrive at the other part of the question. This newspaper said that there was space for another candidate for the center-right, and I agree. I don’t have many people in mind beyond, let’s say, Governor Riley, but the gap is there and it can be exploited.

Question 6. To wrap up this interview, what are your plans for the future? Are there any issues that you feel passionate about that you would like to see action upon in the coming months?

It’s complicated to talk about the future in Atlasia (in May 2013 I thought my political career was dead in the water, for example), but I feel confident enough to say that I will close a cycle in August by not running for reelection and starting to focus on regional politics in the Pacific. I’ve enjoyed the Senate so far and I have managed to pass several pieces of legislation, but it’s not something I wish to do forever, and there are people ready to take that place and be excellent Senators (Butafly, Cynic and so forth). More than holding political offices, I wish to take a role promoting foreign policy as an issue that we should care about and promoting the center-right as an ideological space that can govern this nation while introducing new and bold ideas, ideas that are not just “anti-Labor”. I plan to stay active on that role, but I have no way of knowing from where I will focus my efforts. I also have the ambition of becoming President one day, but as event have taught me, there’s still a long way to go and many things to learn before I’m truly ready for that task, so while you might see me running on a general election someday, it won’t be soon.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »

A good idea might be to bold the questions in your interview so we can easily tell the difference between those and the answers. It's also more aesthetically pleasing.

Anyway, great work. I am enjoying this newspaper.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »

Thanks Talleyrand, both for the advice and the compliment.

Interview: In conversation with IDS legislator Maxwell

Maxwell has been active in Atlasia for a long time, certainly before my time anyway. He's been a regional legislator, Senator and Presidential candidate. I had the privilege of talking to him today, and this is the transcript of that interview:

Question 1. Currently, you sit as an IDS legislator, and have served on numerous other legislative bodies. What, during the course of your legislative career, would you say have been your biggest achievements?

Absolutely there are. I think my best work was my two bills in the Senate: elimination of farm subsidies, and reform of our space program.

My feeling about farm subsidies is, like a lot of Government programs, it overextends itself, and instead of rewarding small farms, it helps Big AG. In addition, I felt we shouldn't be rewarding one lifestyle choice over another, and when in the Senate again, I will advocate the elimination of more Government subsidies. Increasingly too, the agriculture business in the United States is becoming infinitely smaller as is, so I felt there was no loss in that situation. My bill gives small time farmers time to prepare for changes, while still giving farm insurance, since the private sector doesn't allow for that.

The reform of the space program I feel was key, because ultimately what government is is a decision of where tax dollars go. And NASA has not been using their tax dollars effectively in my mind. So my bill increases NASA funds, but re-arranges where NASA uses those funds, so that projects are more interesting, and more viable for the future, and so we can answer the question is there life out there, but also, are there valuable resources out there that we are not currently in use of.

Question 2. Recently, you announced that you were going to challenge incumbet IDS senator NC Yankee for his seat in the Senate. What would you say were your chief reasons for deciding to mount this bid for higher office?

I just want to say that I have the up most respect for North Carolina Yankee. I worked with him in the Senate, and he's been a working horse for the people of the IDS for years. That being said, debate in the IDS has been lacking at best, and absent at worst, and I feel what the IDS needs is a competitive race to drive up activity.

That's not to say I don't want to be Senator. I do, believe me. I want to return to the Senate and continue to reform Atlasian Government to make it smaller, more effecient and more accountable. Some of Yankee's flaws, I believe, is a certain willingness to vote for bills, even if they go too far. I think my voting style will be a bit more concerning than his, and I will vote against any unfounded increase in the power of unions in Atlasia, because they have already made far too much ground in a harmful way as it is.

Question 3. In recent months, there has been a lot of talk over the possiblity of game reform. Where do you stand on this issue? Are you in favour of a full scale reboot, or are you more in favour of making minor reforms to boost activity?

Well, that's interesting. I support certain reforms to the game - like making regional Senators more accountable to their regions, changing the constitution to spread the wiki responsibility to a couple of people rather than laying it entirely on the shoulders of the Attorney General. That being said, I would not support a full reboot, because I think that erases the accomplishments of so many of our past elders, and I'm not so sure what great effect it would have. I prefer minor adjustments, but I also think papers like this and active campaigns like the one between Northeast Speaker Deus and Senator Bore raise activity far more than any broad reform piece like completely rebooting the game.

Question 4. As we're all aware, the Presidential election in June is drawing ever closer. At present, you've endorsed SirNick for the Presidency? What were you're main reasons for doing so? Furthermore, what do you think of the quality of the rest of the field?

I have a lot of respect for Winfield, he's always a good bloke, a lot of fun, and he believes in what he believes. DemPGH is a good friend, and he's been capable for a long time. That being said, none of the candidates have the leadership ability of Sirnick. When he came into power, the Northeast was on its weaker legs, and by the time he left it returned to a certain level of power house. He's consistently led on issues, and if you look at his record in the Northeast, he's had a fiscal conservative streak, particularly on taxes. In addition his running mate, Dallasfan65, is one of the greats,  and he will be a wonderful Vice President, as he has already been a wonderful Governor. Both are substantive heavy weights, and both will make Atlasia a better and more active place.

Question 5. Now, in the past you ran for the Presidency and performed very well, coming close to clinching the highest office in the land. Can you see yourself running for the Presidency again?

Let's go with the latter, haha. I could see myself running for Vice President with someone else at the top of a ticket, maybe a Matt/Max reunion if our glorious hero ever returns, but my Presidential ambitions are basically done. I had kind of a meltdown when I ran for a day against Duke and Reaganfan, and I hope I don't have to go through that again. I wouldn't rule out a Gubernatorial run in the future, that's where I think I'm the best, but definitely not President.

Thanks for the interview!

It's been a pleasure speaking to you Max, and thanks for your time

As I've said before, I'm happy to do more interviews, and wouldn't mind running articles by guest editors (provided that their articles are in tune with the general thrust of this newspaper Wink)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »

Interview: In conversation with Mideast Governor RileyKeaton

Today I had the pleasure of interviewing our newly elected Governor RileyKeaton. Over the past few months, the Governor has undergone a dramatic rise, from private citizen to Mideast Governor. Moreover, he brings a combative new agenda to office and he seems determined to help enact it. It was a pleasure speaking to him.

Question 1. You've been an Atlasian for a little over five months, and yet during that short time you've shot up from being a private citizen to being Governor of the Mideast. But, before we go onto talk about that, what got you interested in holding elected office?

First and foremost, I'm a patriot. I love this country and I want to give back. I believe that this country needs a strong, principled conservative leaders that are ready to work with everyone to promote common-sense, pro-growth, pro-family solutions to our issues. We need those leaders in legislative offices, state houses, governors offices, and communities all over Atlasia. And yes, we need them in the White House.

Question 2. Now you've been elected as Governor of the Mideast, what will be your priorities during your first term? Are there any legislators whom you're particularly looking forward to working with?

Our country faces challenging times. The economy is constantly under fire by policies from Nyman that are directly hostile to our economic livelihood. Crushing taxes, a radical anti-business regulatory agenda that threatens our way of life. As Governor, I'm going to do my part to reverse the damage done to Mideast families. I plan on addressing the issues of healthcare, tax reform, foster care, and other responsible conservative solutions.

Question 3. We ask everybody this question, but then the issue generates a lot of attention. Where do you, Riley Keaton, stand upon the issue of game reform? Are you a rebooter, or do you find moderate reform the more congenial option?

Look, something's got to be done. The game is going downhill and that disappoints me. We need to do something to rejuvenate the community. We must give thoughtful consideration to all proposals for game reform. And we need to be cooperative on the issue.

Question 4. As the race for the Presidency heats up, so far you appear to have not endorsed any of the current candidates. Are you leaning towards one particular candidate, or, alternatively, would you like to see some other candidates enter the race?

I intend to support the Federalist nominee, whoever that may be. The Federalist Party is the most effective means of fighting for conservative causes and I'm proud of that. I'll respect the will of the party in choosing a nominee.

Question 5. Further to the previous question, have you considered running for the Presidency this time round? I know it seems impertinent to ask, but your name has come up multiple times as a potential conder. Alternatively, might you consider a shot at the top job, in Federal terms, further down the line?

Look, I was just elected to the Governor's office. I am focused on doing my job and fulfilling the promise I made to Mideast voters. That's my priority, making life easier for Mideast citizens.

Thanks Riley, and all the best of luck!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 03:43:27 PM »

Opinion: Another look at the Presidential race

Earlier this week, we ran a piece explaining as to why this paper is not on board with the Winfield/AndreTX campaign for the Presidency. However, now it is time for action. We believe that the Federalist party needs to run an articulate, principled candidate of the right (not to suggest that Winfield is neither of the first two, just not of the latter) in this election, in order to give right-wing voters a solid option. Whilst such a candidate might not make it through to the final round, it is essential that these voters have a candidate who solidly expresses their views. There are many who could fill such a role; Mideast Governor TheRileyKeaton is one of them. In a short space of time, he has risen to the position of Regional Governor, and proved himself to be a solid legislator. Thus, this paper is now iniating a campaign to draft him for the Federalist nomination. Comments on this would be welcomed.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 12:28:38 PM »

Opinion: What policies would the Mideast Telegraph like to see implemented?

Now, this piece is not a specific set of points that a candidate seeking our endorsement must adopt. Some of them will certainly be controversial, and it is understandable if the candidate whom this paper does end up endorsing disagrees with us on these particular points. Rather, it is simply a broad set of proposals, some of which could be implemented at a regional level, which we believe would be beneficial for the citizenry of Atlasia.

1. Repealing the Financial Transactions Tax: There are many reasons as to why this tax is deeply uncongenial. It raises a negligible amount of revenue and is generally speaking ineffective when it comes to reducing market volatility. Furthmore, it sends out the message that Atlasia is not open for business.
2. Repealing the Inheritance Tax: The chief problem with this tax is a moral one; it is deeply wrong, in the view of this paper, that hard-working Atlasians should not be allowed to pass on all of their wealth (if they so wish) to their offspring, in order to help give them a leg up in life.
3. A more rigorous immigration system: We propose the introduction of a points system, as has been done in Australia, based upon the skill of the prospective newcomers. Also, we would like to see the introduction of an English language test, to see whether immigrants have a sufficient grasp of the English language in order to be admitted to Atlasia.
4. Introduction of corporal punishment for certain crimes: As of the now, it is clear that the prison system of struggling to cope with the sheer volume of inmates. Thus, in order to reduce pressure upon the system, we suggest the introduction of corporal punishment for more minor crimes, such as cases of petty theft.
5. Introducing 'demonstration permits': Now, there is nothing wrong with public demonstrations, per se. However they can be a pain for everyday folk going about their business, and on occasion a danger to public safety. Thus, we would make it a criminal offence for demonstraters to demonstrate without a permit giving them a specific area and time to march in.
6. Banning strikes in essential services: This paper is not proposing that workers in essential services should not be allowed to go on strike at all, but rather that if they cannot find cover for the duration of a proposed strike, then the acting of going on strike shall be considered a criminal one, and should be met with a fine.
7. Investment in Atlasia's Museums: We all know that our nation is something that we should all be proud of, and thus it is vital that Atlasia's culture and history be preserved and commemorated. Thus, the Mideast Telegraph proposes a the introduction of a grant to certain institutions of some historical or cultural signifcance, as well as to Museums.
8. Repeal of the Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment: This paper argues that the death penalty is not a violation of human rights, and that it is not an overly cruel punishment. On the contrary, we believe it to be a fundamentally just and proper punishment, and thus we urge that this amendment be rescinded.
9. A free trade agreement with the EU: Of course, unrestricted free trade is not always a good thing; however, in this case we believe that freedom of trade with Europe would be beneficial to the Atlasian economy, and thus we urge whoever is elected as President to look into such an agreement.
10. The introduction of 'National Citizen Service': A program which, by our reckoning, would apply to those roughly between the ages of 16 and 22. Now, this program would encompass many thing including community service, military training, instruction in useful 'life skills' and work placements. We believe that National Citizen Service would be a great way of building character and helping to set the young up for later life.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:52:40 AM »

Interview: In conversation with Averroes Nix

Recently, I conducted an interview with the former President of Atlasia, Averroes Nix. Averroes served as President from July-November 2013, before stepping down to be succeeded by Duke. He is generally regarded as one of Atlasia's better Presidents. It was a privilege to be able to interview him.

Question 1. First of all, hello and welcome to this interview. Now, you've been out of elective office for a while, but before then, you served as a regional legislator, Governor, Senator and finally as President. Which position did you find to be the most enjoyable, and which do you think that you did, so to speak, the most 'good' in?

I was most effective as a Senator. I sponsored over two dozen laws during my two terms, including immigration reform, cost-saving measures for the Postal Service, animal rights legislation, a green energy initiative, stricter gun control laws, patent reform, drug law liberalization, and the Atlasian-Canadian Common Market Agreement. Fortunately, a few of the best Senate sessions that I've ever seen coincided with my tenure there. We had plenty of vibrant debates, which I enjoyed.

Serving as President was more stressful because there was so much attention and so many responsibilities that were exclusively mine. A President has to guide his agenda through the Senate, communicate with voters, manage a Cabinet, and fulfill several other obligations simultaneously and without missing a beat. I was fortunate to have an active and helpful Vice President serving alongside me at the time, as well as a party with a strong turnout operation and reliable representatives in the Senate. DemPGH and Adam Griffin were essential to my success. With help from them and others in the Senate, we passed a basic income bill. That remains my proudest accomplishment.

Question 2. Until February, you served as Game Moderator, only to resign when you uncovered a conspiracy to remove you. Whilst I don't want to pry, perhaps, for those of us who are unfamiliar with the events surrounding this, you could explain as to what that conspiracy was?

Serving as Game Moderator was the least fun I've had in Atlasia. It's not rewarding, everyone complains about your work, and it doesn't seem to add much to the game. We wouldn't lose much by abolishing the position.

If we want to retain a Game Moderator and improve the game, he or she needs to stay out of the numbers game and focus on creating stories for us to interact with. Stick with providing GDP, tax revenue, and the unemployment rate and don't get into the weeds. Don’t estimate the costs of bills. Just as in real life, those costs should be a subject for debate. Supporters and opponents of a given proposal need to justify their assumptions as best they can based on whatever information is available. GM prognosticating deflates debate and makes the game less interesting.

Question 3. Onto the issue of game reform. A lot of people have argued that, over the course of recent months, activity has declined considerably. Do you agree with that, and if so, do you support measures to reform the game, perhaps even to the extent of a reboot?

I share the feeling that Atlasia is not doing well. Registration numbers are healthy, but there’s much less discussion taking place than there was six months ago, both among citizens and in the Senate and some regional legislatures.

Anyone who thinks that some particular reform will solve low activity is deluded. It’s often said that “activity” is the in-game equivalent of our economy. It’s the most important issue, but also one that is subject to forces beyond the control of any individual, even the president and powerful party leaders. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t do anything. We need to make it easier and more fun for people to participate, and the most effective way of doing that is to simplify so that people don’t need to spend weeks of research and observation figuring out how the game works.

I do not support a reboot because Atlasia thrives on its history and we’d be forfeiting too much of it. Instead, I support making the game better organized. We should repeal unnecessary and confusing laws. (Already, I’ve worked with Senator Bore to take several dozen old laws off of the books, but this is only a start.) We should hold a constitutional convention and re-write the entire document for clarity and concision. We should simplify the rules for our elections and our legislative bodies. We should allow the Game Moderator to focus on creating stories instead of futilely attempting to simulate a multi-trillion dollar economy.  And we should make all of this information more accessible to citizens and prospective citizens.

Question 4. Back in November, you left the Presidential office to be succeeded by our current President, Duke. Now his term is also drawing to a close, what are your thoughts on how he has performed in office? How would you rate him as a President?

A President is only as effective as the team that supports him. I could not have had a successful presidency without the support of my Vice President, my Cabinet, the leaders of my party, and my allies in the Senate.

Duke has suffered because he hasn’t had the same level of support. He’s struggled to keep his Cabinet staffed with reliable people. Everyone in the Labor Party likes him, but we know that he can’t govern like a Laborite. The Federalists have never trusted him, and the Vice President who was supposed to help with that relationship went rogue shortly after Duke was elected and only caused more trouble.

However, I’ve seen him regain his focus since he bringing Cincinnatus on as Vice President and since Yankee has taken leadership of the Federalists. He’s been more engaged with the Senate over the past couple of weeks and I expect that he’ll leave office with more accomplished and with high approvals. His recent comments on healthcare reform are encouraging, and he has my support on that front.

Question 5. You recently endorsed your fellow Labourite DemPGH for the Presidency. Whilst you may have already given some of your reasons for supporting him, could you briefly sum up as to why you think he'll make a good President of Atlasia? Moreover, what are your thoughts on the current state of the race? With regards to the Federalists, who, as of yet, do not have a candidate of their party in the running, who might make a good candidate for them?

DemPGH has my support because he’s honest, hard-working, and capable. He’s willing to do unglamorous but necessary work, like editing the wiki or researching existing laws. He’s good at building relationships and getting along with different people. Political views are also important, but in terms of what would be best for the game, those are the qualities that matter more than anything else.

It would be a sad commentary on our politics if the Federalists failed to field a candidate. Consider the state of the race. It’s not a stretch to imagine Sirnick running as a moderate Laborite. Meanwhile, Winfield is running on a platform of programs that the Labor Party and its predecessors have already ushered into law, from a carbon tax to national healthcare to support for green energy. TNF covered parental leave and universal child care just a few months ago, for instance.

That said, it’s not obvious who the Federalists could run. Months ago I would have predicted that Matt, Hagrid, Clarence, Maxwell, ZuWo or Tmth would do so. But every potential candidate the party has had over the past year another has either faded from the game or switched parties.

Governor Riley is probably the best choice, but I don't know that he would want to waste his national debut as a candidate on a last-ditch effort like this, particularly when he's just been elected to another office. If you want to be taken seriously, I think it's better to pay your dues by showing that you can do hard work at a lower level and keep your commitments.

Question 6. Before we wrap up this interview, would you say that you have any plans to return to active political life in the future? In what direction might you wish to see the nation heading?

I do not intend to run for elected office again, at least not in the near future. I’ve enjoyed editorializing without any responsibilities over the past several months, and I plan to stick with that.

If I had one wish, I’d ask for an Atlasia in which more views are represented and more ideas are vocalized. We need a right-wing party that can win national elections without ceding practically every substantive issue to the left. I like Labor's ideas best, of course, but critical feedback and different perspectives are a necessary element of good governance and, more importantly, a fun game.

Thanks Averroes, and all the best. I'd just like to inform readers that whilst this interview was being conducted, Winfield withdrew his Presidential candidacy, rendering discussion of his ticket moot.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »

Opinion: the 'Job Guarantee' Act

So, another day, another left-wing bill is put before the Senate in Nyman. It is, as one might expect, a very airy piece of work, making grandiloquent commitments to full employment in 'meaningful work' (a proper definition of which is never given of course). Realistically speaking, I'm unsure as to what examples of meaningful work could be come up with to reduce the level of unemployment to three percent on a permanent basis, so I'll leave it to TNF to say how that can be done. Of course, this bill is rather statist (it specifically prohibits using the bloc grant in question to subsidise private companies, even though that might be a realistic, yet undoubtedly expensive, way of reducing unemployment), and, moreover, is a fundamental attack upon regional rights. After all, despite apparently allocating 'full control' over the fund to the regional legislatures, it says that if they refuse to allocate said funding (or perhaps more accurately, the way Nyman wants it to be spent, as shown in point six), then the Senate will step in to do so. Wouldn't it just be easier to cut out the middleman?

Basically, all I can say is that I encourage Senators to vote against this bill.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »

Mideast Telegraph Poll results - Would you consider voting for Governor RileyKeaton in next month's Presidential Election?

Overall result:
Yes: 39.4 percent
No: 60.6 percent

Federalist Result:
Yes: 69.2 percent
No: 30.8 percent

Other Result:
Yes: 25 percent
No: 75 percent

Margin of Error: 17 percent

So, our poll results are in. Now, at first, these results may not seem good for the Governor, with less than 40 percent saying that they would back him. However, for an unannounced candidate who has not undertaken any campaigning activites, nearly 40 is actually a reasonably impressive score, especially since there are other heavyweight candidates who have been on the campaign trail for sometime now. Furthermore, whilst the overall result fell against the Governor, Federalist responses were generally favourable, with almost 70 percent saying that they were inclined to back the Governor. I my view, this should put the Governor in a very strong position when it comes to the Federalist nomination.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »

Mideast Telegraph Poll results - IDS Senatorial Election

Here are the results of the Mideast Telegraph's poll for the upcoming IDS Senatorial Election.

Overall Support
Senator NC Yankee: 54.5 percent
IDS Legislator Maxwell: 45.5 percent

Federalist Support
Senator NC Yankee: 57.1 percent
IDS Legislator Maxwell: 42.9 percent

This poll showed that the race for IDS Senator remains reasonably tight, although the incumbent holds a slight lead in the polls. What's interesting about this race is that the only party whose voters were divided over whom to support was the Federalist party (the current Senator's own party), with a substantial minority of Federalists defecting to support Democratic-Republican Maxwell. The latter also enjoyed unanimous support both from his own party and from the people's party, whilst NC Yankee received unanimous support from IDS Laborites. Thus, it seems as if there's still everything to play for in this election.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 02:14:05 PM »

Fascinating results. The IDS is a large majority federalist, so any chance of me winning requires a substantial minority of Federalists breaking rank. I thank the surprisingly high number of Federalists willing to back my candidacy!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 07:40:16 AM »

Interview: In conversation with Senator DC al Fine

Yesterday I interviewed Mideast Senator DC al Fine. Now engaged in a three way re-election fight against MadmanMotley and former Representative Ben, he took time to talk to me about some of the issues that Atlasia faces today, as well as on his political career so far. This is a transcript of the interview:

Good evening, Senator DC, and thanks for agreeing to partake in this interview. First of all, what, during the course of your Senatorial career, would you say has been your finest achievement?

The Small Investor Protection Act, which limits the amount 401k providers can charge in management fees. Pensions and retirement is an underserved issue in the youthful Atlasian Senate, so I was happy to take charge of an underserved issue and stand up for consumers.

Moving onto the topic of the election for the Mideast regional Senate seat, you're now engaged in a three way fight for re-election with Madman Motley and former Assemblyman and Senator Ben. What do you think of your opponents? Why do you think that voters should cast their votes for you in this race?

My opponents are good enough fellows and I’d be happy to vote for them if they were running against a leftist. Obviously I think I’m the best candidate for the job, but that’s for the voters to decide.

As for reasons to vote for me:
a.   Pro-life, Pro-life, Pro-life! There are very few options in Atlasian politics for socons. I’m one of the few consistently pro-life politicians out there and the only one in this race.

b.   I bring an expertise in fiscal issues due to my background as an accountant in real life. For example, I’m one of the biggest proponents of modernizing Atlasian accounting standards. Fiscal expertise is needed in the Atlasian Senate, particularly when so many are pushing for pie in the sky measures without considering the cost.

Stepping back from the Mideast and looking at the broader slew of races we've got coming up across the country, what are your general thoughts upon these races? Federalist office-holders are under pressure, particularly from the Democratic-Republican party. Is there anything that these races can tell us more generally about the state of politics in Atlasia?

It’s certainly a brave new world! If you had predicted that Yankee would lose his seat a month or two ago you would have been laughed out of the building, but now that’s a serious opinion.

I think the Democratic-Republican surge is due to frustration with the right’s moderation in the past year or so. The right has been told to moderate to win elections, but now that they’re winning, free marketeers are getting frustrated. While I certainly don’t agree with the Democratic-Republicans’ fiscal views, I sympathize with their general plight. The right’s base has been ignored and they are starting to throw their weight around. A big challenge for the Federalists in the coming months will be keeping the various parts of the party united

Recently, you announced your endorsement of Governor DemPGH for the Presidency. Now, whilst you have explained your reasons for endorsing him already, are there any other factors that led to you endorsing him over SirNick? Moreover, what's your opinion of the presidential race itself? Do you think its been a 'good' race, so far? Will we be seeing any surprises?

've already given my reasons for why I supported DemPGH, so I'll just add that Windjammer is a close personal friend and the right kind of Labor politician. I'm happy to support his ticket.

I have mixed feelings on the presidential race. On one hand I like that its competitive, but on the other hand, there’s very little ideological diversity, especially compared to the Duke-TNF-Spiral race last time. I don’t think there will be any surprises this time simply because its anyone’s election to win right now. One thing to look out for though:  with not many strong ideological differences, there ‘s a chance that many voters (like me) will cross the aisle. Parties can’t assume their bases will turn out for them this time.

To conclude, if you are re-elected as a Senator, what will be your priorities for the next few months. Do you hold any ambitions for even higher office?

I don’t have any ambitions beyond the Senate. That said, the absence of a pro-life candidate in the current race is upsetting.  If there isn’t a pro-lifer in the race next time, I’d strongly consider running for President.

Thanks Senator, and good luck with your re-election campaign!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »

Editorial: Presidential Endorsement

Today, we at the Mideast Telegraph are announcing are endorsement for the Presidential election that is due to take place in two weeks time. Both this cycle's candidates, SirNick and DemPGH, are no doubt fine and honourable men who will do their best, and what they believe is right for the country. However, we can only endorse one ticket, and so our endorsement goes to the SirNick/Dallasfan ticket. Whilst this pairs positions on certain social matters are not always to this paper's taste, we believe that they, generally speaking, have the right ideas on the economy. At time when a barrage of socialist bills are hitting the floor of the Senate in Nyman, we need a President who is prepared to stand up to the reds. Of these two, SirNick seems to fit the bill much better. So, for the sake of economic and social stability, we recommend that you cast your ballot for SirNick/Dallasfan on June 20th-22nd. Endorsements for regional races will be following shortly.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »

We appreciate the paper's endorsement and would love to answer any questions you may have!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »

I appreciate the pragmatism this paper showed in endorsing Sirnick/Dallas, and I hope its another step in collaeseing of the Atlasian right behind a strong candidacy that will get things done!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies