The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Mideast Telegraph - the sound paper  (Read 2602 times)
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 07:10:31 AM »

I want an interview =P
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 04:08:22 AM »

Sure thing. I'll try and get some questions to you in the next couple of days.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »

If we haven't already, we'd like to thank Cassius and the Mideast Telegraph for their endorsement Smiley
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 02:08:31 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2014, 02:11:30 AM by Former Assemblyman Cassius »

Editorial: Snowstalker vs Midwest

This is a glorious day for Atlasia. A truly glorious day. Recently, Mr. Snowstalker, a man whom I might add this paper normally doesn't have a lot of time for; but, in this case, he has done well. The Midwest LGBT Equality Hate Crimes and Suicide Prevention Act was a truly appalling bill; not only was it badly written (to an almost vomit-inducing extent, although I should add that I don't personally blame Governor Windjammer for this, or anybody as such) but it was also a truly bizarre bill, in the sense that it could be interpreted as creating lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people as a special class of their own - set above the rest of us one might say. Well, now this bill is gone. It is finished. Annihilated. Exterminated. This ruling has run it over, and then run back over it a few times to make sure it can't rear it's ugly head again.

For not only did the court strike down this act, but it challenged the very concept of so-called 'hate crimes'. Readers, you might be thinking 'surely every crime is a hate crime?' and you would be right. However, hate crimes suggest that, somehow, beating up and robbing and elderly woman is somehow a less heinous crime than beating up and robbing a gay man, purely because of the sexual orientation of the latter. Battery and robbery are heinous crimes as of themselves, but whether the motive for them was bigoted or not should have no bearing upon legal proceedings. So, the Supreme Court has performed a great service for Atlasia today. There are ways of stopping the picketing of funerals by anti-gay protestors (through the permit system that the paper has advocated before), but a law like this is not one of them.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2014, 10:52:22 AM »
« Edited: June 15, 2014, 10:56:19 AM by Former Assemblyman Cassius »

Editorial: Senate endorsements

This month, we have a whole raft of competitive Senate races, several of which have the potential to see incumbents ousted. The following candidates are the ones that this paper has decided to endorse:

The Mideast: Senator DC al Fine
In this race, there are three candidates, none of whom are totally disagreeable, and none of which this paper would strongly advise a vote against. However, when it comes down to political compatibility, DC al Fine is by far the most congenial candidate in this race. A sitting Senator, he has the right ideas on both economic and social issues, and thus we see no reason for him to not be re-elected to office. Thus we urge a vote for DC al Fine in the Mideast.

The Midwest: RR1997
The Midwest senatorial race is another key race. It pits up and coming youngster RR1997 against the leftist behemoth in the Senate, TNF. Obviously, this paper advises you to cast your ballot for RR1997. I mean, we'd probably cast a ballot for Genghis Khan over the incumbent Senator, but it helps that his challenger has his heart in the right place on most key issues. So, vote for RR1997!

The Northeast: Deus
The Northeast is another rwo way battle, pitting the incumbent Senator Bore against Representative Deus. Now, we have some reservations about Deus; on some issues, he veers off far into libertarian politics. However, Bore is a committed leftist, even if he is not quite as 'pur et dur' as TNF is. Thus, we would strongly advise a vote for Deus, the more economically sensible of the two candidates in question.

The IDS: NC Yankee (slightly)
This race pits incumbent Senator Yankee against Representative Maxwell, this was probably the toughest choice, given that both candidates are good solid men with the right views on most issues. However, Maxwell is too much the civil libertarian for this paper to endorse with good conscience, over a candidate as strong as NC Yankee. Thus we would advise a vote for the latter; however, this is one result where we can say that we wouldn't really mind either way.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 12:03:52 PM »

I thank the Telegraph for its kind endorsement.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2014, 04:59:56 AM »

Editorial: Final day of the election, vote Sirnick!

As you may have already observed, Sirnick is currently behind in terms of votes. However, he is gradually closing the gap with DemPGH, something that I believe we can all applaud for making the election more competitive. But, being more serious, this paper believes it to be absolutely imperative that all centrist and right-wing voters get to the polling station to cast their ballots for Sirnick and Dallasfan. DemPGH may be a decent man, as is his running mate, but, their victory will give Labor total control over the machinery of government, the Presidency and the Senate. We all know the sorts of people who are positively licking their chops at the prospect of this. Make no mistake, if DemPGH wins, then Labor will have dominion over all life in Atlasia, even unto the ending of the year. Do we leave Sirnick and Dallasfan to their fate? Do we let them stand alone? We say no. We say get to the polls and help pull off a terrific upset in Sirnick's favour. Vote Sirnick! Not only that, but get to the polls and cast your ballots for DC al Fine, RR1997, Superique and Deus! Help elect these fine fellows to the Senate!
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2014, 07:42:48 AM by SirNick »

This is definitely competitive --in the final round it would be 61 DemPGH to 52 for SirNick. We need to keep DemPGH under the 50% mark! Keep voting!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »

Editorial: The results are in, and Federalists need to do some thinking

First of all, congratulations to the winners of the election, DemPGH and Windjammer. They were not this paper's first choice in the election, but, then again, they are both moderate men who seem to want the best for Atlasia, and ones whom we hope will govern in a pragmatic, non-divisive manner. It was a competitive election, and our candidate of choice, Sirnick, put up a splendid effort, pulling the election to within a 6 point gap. All candidates should be thanked for devoting their time and energy to this gruelling race.

However, the Federalist party, we believe, needs to take a good hard look at itself. On the face of it, the party didn't do too badly, with its incumbent Senators, DC al Fine and NC Yankee, holding off tough challenges from the Democratic-Republicans, whilst RR1997 put in a good show against TNF in the Midwest. However, the party did not run candidates in the Northeast or the Pacific, nor even for the Presidency itself. In the Senate races, the Democratic-Republican party won 23 percent of the vote, a figure far in excess of its membership, whilst the Federalist vote stagnated at 28 percent. For a party that prides itself on being a broad Church, this is not a brilliant result. It indicates a party that doesn't quite know where to go, a party in a state of decay. The party hasn't run a Presidential ticket (aside from VP picks) in a year.

Perhaps it is too early to talk of Federalist decline. However, the Federalist party does need to have a think about what, and who it stands for, as well as trying to carve out a more distinctive niche. Otherwise, it may not be able to count upon the support of its base indefinitely (as was shown back in February).
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »

What about a Federalist-DR Coalition Tongue
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2014, 08:56:23 AM »

I don't think the DR's would be amenable to it to be honest.

Opinion: Mideast Budget

Governor Riley Keaton has just announced his first budget as Mideast Governor. As expected, it appears to be a fairly sound document, implementing small cuts across the board which do not jeopardise one particular service, but cuts which nonetheless provide room for tax reductions. This is something that the Governor has also delivered upon. In addition to cutting rates for those with incomes of between 13,001 and 40,000, Mr. Keaton aims to abolish Corporate Taxation. This is a laudable goal. Whilst Nyman continues to argue of such measures as nationalising energy companies, the Mideast is going its own way, striving to create an ever more friendly environment for business. Thus, we urge the Assembly to pass the Governor's budget post haste.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »

I don't think we are unfriendly with the Federalist Party entirely (I have old friends in the party like Hagrid), but I think uniting the two parties is a bad idea. The DR's are a libertarian party that does not necessarily agree with being a part of a broad "rightish" coalition, as the Federalist Party already seems to be.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 08:14:18 AM »

Opinion: Reforming Atlasian Public Health Act

It has been clear for quite some time that Atlasian healthcare was in urgent need of reform. Levels of quality and choice needed to be improved, whilst at the same time ensuring that care would still be provided to the least fortunate members of our society. It was a difficult balancing act, but we, at the Mideast Telegraph, believe that it has largely been achieved. This reform is certainly not perfect; indeed, Section 1:3 will need to be addressed with alacrity by the regions, for if nothing is done then the AHNC will be given a monopoly over each regional healthcare exchange. The best choice, in our view, would be to allow private sector firms to compete with the AHNC, so as to hopefully lower prices and improve the quality of care, as well as allowing for more choice on the part of the individual. Nonetheless, this bill is a positive change for the better, and thus we applaud its passing the Senate.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2014, 06:56:27 AM »

An interview with JCL

JCL has been active in politics for a long time. He has run for the Presidency and the Senate, and has served as a Mideast Assemblyman on several occasions. Now, he plans to return to the political arena.

Question 1. To start off, JCL, let's look back over your career. Now, you've had a long career in Atlasian politics, and I'd like to ask you what you felt your 'finest hour', so to speak, was?

The work I contributed to cracking down on human trafficking. Seeing that we have two regions and the national government with legislation that provide a framework to aid victims and bring the perps to justice. I hope Governor Scott and those working with him can pass a similar law in the IDS.

Question 2. Turning to the now, as everybody knows, we just had a Presidential election, and DemPGH ended up victorious over Sirnick. Before we move on to the wider questions that this election has raised, who did you vote for and why?

I didn't vote for either major ticket. There were too many questions I still had and I didn't feel I could vote for either with a clean conscience. So I wrote in ZuWo/Hagrid

Question 3. Moving on from that, what do you think this election says about the current state of Atlasia? Do you feel that the Federalist Party is in a spot of bother? Could it be time for a 'new force' on the right?

Like many Atlasian Federalists I was disappointed that we failed to run a presidential candidate. Part of having an active center and libertarian-right means running our own tickets for president. While, in many ways, Duke allied with the party. He and his administration did some things that were bad for our national interests. I'm concerned about the direction of the party as a whole. I know I'm not the only one. Let's build our party and run our best against Labour's best.

Question 4. Recently, there have been some rumours that you plan to run for elected office again? Are these rumours correct, and if so, which office do you intend to run for?

The rumors are in fact true. August is sounding like a senate run again.

Question 5. What changes do you think are needed in Atlasia at present. What are the burgeoning issues that Atlasia is faced with today, and what do you think should be done to solve them?

Our job creators are being unduly burdened with excessive regulation and our working class is saddled with a steep tax system for what reason? Government wants a dominating piece of the pie to control a failed healthcare system. Let's end that and restore market control to the healthcare industry. We have made a mess in terms of foreign policy. You don't tell a friend to return to indefensible borders to placate enemies of friends national sovereignty. We tell the enemy of our friend to go back to the borders designated as per the terms of the aftermath of the Yom Kippur War.

Thanks JCL, and good luck!
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:41 AM »
« Edited: July 23, 2014, 11:52:58 AM by Former Assemblyman Cassius »

Editorial: The 'Same Love' Act

So, the 'Same Love' Act. Proof that conspiracy theories about the fluoridation of water are entirely correct. Where to begin. Basically, this act seeks to legalise the 'unions' of two persons of close kin. In other words, incestuous marriages. The reasoning behind this; #samelove. Oh and let's not forget the argument put forward by the former Governor in favour of this; 'unless the dick is in you shut the f*** up'. Really, I mean really? No potential risks can be seen by this legitimisation of incestuous relationships. Surely it is well known that the children from these relationships have a considerably higher chance of developing severe disabilities than those who are the product of relationships between those who are not closely related. This is not the child's fault of course; rather, it is the fault of their irreponsible parents, the actions of which the Northeast seeks to legitimise. And the only arguments being put forward in favour of it are internet catchphrases. Dear lord, this may pass in the Northeast, but I hope to God that no such changes are considered elsewhere.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 01:54:18 PM »

This seems a rather good paper. It would be improved, however, by an interview with a retired elder statesman and former presidential candidate such as myself.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 10:12:33 PM »

So, the 'Same Love' Act. Proof that conspiracy theories about the fluoridation of water are entirely correct. Where to begin. Basically, this act seeks to legalise the 'unions' of two persons of close kin. In other words, incestuous marriages. The reasoning behind this; #samelove. Oh and let's not forget the argument put forward by the former Governor in favour of this; 'unless the dick is in you shut the f*** up'. Really, I mean really? No potential risks can be seen by this legitimisation of incestuous relationships. Surely it is well known that the children from these relationships have a considerably higher chance of developing severe disabilities than those who are the product of relationships between those who are not closely related. This is not the child's fault of course; rather, it is the fault of their irreponsible parents, the actions of which the Northeast seeks to legitimise. And the only arguments being put forward in favour of it are internet catchphrases. Dear lord, this may pass in the Northeast, but I hope to God that no such changes are considered elsewhere.

iight sick life man

Short-form version: Yes, I believe that UTDINYSTFU is a good motto to live by, as coined by the venerable Maddox.

Long-form version: OK. It seems intuitive to think that we ought to criminalize and/or not recognize incestuous relations as legitimate because of the disadvantages that their progeny might face. However, what is the alternative - that we criminalize it? Current legal statutes in the real life equivalents of Northeast states levy criminal penalties of up to twenty years in jail for incest. To call this reactionary would be flattery.

The data on incestuous relations is murky at best. Per wikipedia:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

AKA: Given shoddy reporting methods and no data for fifty years, we don't really know.

Touching back on the progeny of said unions - this is the Twenty-First Century. Contraceptives and abortion are readily available, and we may know more about the dangers of inbreeding than we did one or two hundred years ago. Furthermore, companionship and procreation are not mutually inclusive, elsewise we wouldn't recognize same-sex marriages.

And lastly, unless I've committed some sort of oversight, this law would allow for more than just two relatives to enter a union. Grin
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 03:57:40 PM »

This seems a rather good paper. It would be improved, however, by an interview with a retired elder statesman and former presidential candidate such as myself.

Indeed, I'll send you one as soon as possible.

iight sick life man

Short-form version: Yes, I believe that UTDINYSTFU is a good motto to live by, as coined by the venerable Maddox.

Long-form version: OK. It seems intuitive to think that we ought to criminalize and/or not recognize incestuous relations as legitimate because of the disadvantages that their progeny might face. However, what is the alternative - that we criminalize it? Current legal statutes in the real life equivalents of Northeast states levy criminal penalties of up to twenty years in jail for incest. To call this reactionary would be flattery.

The data on incestuous relations is murky at best. Per wikipedia:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

AKA: Given shoddy reporting methods and no data for fifty years, we don't really know.

Touching back on the progeny of said unions - this is the Twenty-First Century. Contraceptives and abortion are readily available, and we may know more about the dangers of inbreeding than we did one or two hundred years ago. Furthermore, companionship and procreation are not mutually inclusive, elsewise we wouldn't recognize same-sex marriages.

And lastly, unless I've committed some sort of oversight, this law would allow for more than just two relatives to enter a union. Grin

Well, I'm not for (per se) levying such draconian penalties upon incest. However, I'm not for the wholesale legitimisation of it either, which would be the result of its recognition through allowing close relatives to marry. Whilst its true that companionship and procreation are not mutually inclusive, the fact is that to allow for marriage between those with close bonds of blood is to legitimise the act of procreation between them (because whilst marriage's popularity and significance seems to be in decline, expanding its boundaries, if you will, gives an enormous fillip of legitimacy to any cause, as in the case of gays). My point is, there's no compelling interest to allow close relatives to marry, yet there are problems that can be posed by allowing them to, therefore, to my mind, retaining the status quo is the better option.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »

An interview with Cathcon

Recently I conducted an interview with Cathcon, a man who has held a wide variety of posts when he was active as a politician. In the interview, we discussed the current state of Atlasia, as well as his political career and plans for the future.

Question 1. So, to begin, you've been a Mideast Assemblyman, GTO Ambassador, Secretary of External Affairs and Lieutenant Governor of the Mideast. During this long and active career, what, in your opinion, was your finest hour?

Operating in Europe and the Middle East during the collapse of Col. Gaddafi's regime. Seeing dissidents begin to knock down the despotic government there and working to garner international support for them was the high point of my career, far more than my failed presidential bid.

Question 2. Turning to the present, it is clear that the dust has settled somewhat from the rather polarised Presidential election back in June. However, out of interest, what are your thoughts on that election; who did you vote for and do you think it will be an election that is 'fondly remembered', so to speak?

I supported Sirnick, both at the Federalist convention and in the general. I'm sure it will be fondly remembered by those that enthusiastically supported DemPGH. However, for those of us on the right, especially in the Federalist party, it was a sad display of where our party seems to be. Even while nominating a nominally centrist candidate with civil libertarian leanings, we failed to win, and even lost members of our own coalition due to vague socially conservative tendencies of DemPGH's Vice Presidential pick, Windjammer. It would seem that this is an indicator that we need to improve party loyalty, outreach, and so on. Sadly, solutions are not easy to find and it will require serious discussion.

Question 3. Following on from that, what do you think of the first few weeks of President DemPGH? Has he got off to a good start?

I honestly haven't been following the news since the election died down and I heard a few of the administration's cabinet picks. Since my retirement, I've spent most of my time in Northern Michigan, working on my artistic side, and trying to become a better person through fitness and semi-sobriety. Aside from some party functions, I'm largely out of the loop. That said, he's a left-winger, so he can't be up to too much good.

Question 4. With your wealth of political experience, what do you see happening over the next few months, particularly regarding the nature of the parties in the present alignment? Do you foresee any major changes?

My party, the Federalists, will need to prove their mettle on the presidential level in the next few cycles. The problem seems to be that whatever Atlasian right-wing party exists will collapse, re-form, and undergo the same problems with electoral losses before the next realignment. The only way to win seems to be running a ticket so overtly centrist that half or more isn't even in our party and enacts few policies amenable to the right.

Question 5. Having taken a break from active politics in recent times, are you thinking of returning to political life at some point in the near future?

In all likelihood, no. I've amassed a good fortune that I can use to finance my various land deals and work in the world of conservation, promotion of urban improvement and Atlasian industry, and so on. However, I wouldn't be wholly opposed to being picked for Vice President...

Thanks Cathcon, and I hope your land deals go well Wink
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »

Cathcon is the best haha
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length