SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 3578 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 06:29:33 AM »

Aye

Maybe not every railroad, but most cities have only one station, and are built up all around that station, meaning there is one line in and out. I don't see how that can't be a monopoly
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 11:28:45 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 08:03:28 PM »

Maybe not every railroad, but most cities have only one station, and are built up all around that station, meaning there is one line in and out. I don't see how that can't be a monopoly

That may apply to Britain but that is incorrect regarding the United States. Most of the localized freight traffic is handled by trucks and numerous shortlines that lease trackage from the bigger railroads. This allows for a competition between the bigger lines and ability to shift from one to the other simply by trucking it to the other terminal. Most every major metropolitan area has at least two Class 1 lines servicing the freight on a city to city, inter-regional and coast to coast basis. The only time this wasn't the case was for the twenty years that Conrail had a monopoly on New York City and New Jersey, but that is history by fifteen years and counting. CA is serviced by both BNSF and UP, the East by NS and CSX. Hell I got an X just two miles away from my house where CSX and NS trackage cross. The US railroads have long been based on competition and even as they have consolidated, that was maintained save for the Northeast where it was temporarily necessitated to have a monopoly and that was entirely because of a combination of gov't bureacrats refusing to allow the shuttering of profitless lines to nowhere and high operational costs, bottomline the gov't interference created the mess in the first place.

The private system works wonderfull for freight and where Gov't intervention has occured unnecessarily or to an excessive degree, it has led to severe problems and a near economic crisis. I cannot support the nationalization of frieght railroads under any circumstances.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2014, 10:27:19 PM »

NAY
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 11:02:18 PM »

Nay.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 01:07:58 AM »

Aye
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 06:44:41 AM »

That may apply to Britain but that is incorrect regarding the United States. Most of the localized freight traffic is handled by trucks and numerous shortlines that lease trackage from the bigger railroads. This allows for a competition between the bigger lines and ability to shift from one to the other simply by trucking it to the other terminal. Most every major metropolitan area has at least two Class 1 lines servicing the freight on a city to city, inter-regional and coast to coast basis. The only time this wasn't the case was for the twenty years that Conrail had a monopoly on New York City and New Jersey, but that is history by fifteen years and counting. CA is serviced by both BNSF and UP, the East by NS and CSX. Hell I got an X just two miles away from my house where CSX and NS trackage cross. The US railroads have long been based on competition and even as they have consolidated, that was maintained save for the Northeast where it was temporarily necessitated to have a monopoly and that was entirely because of a combination of gov't bureacrats refusing to allow the shuttering of profitless lines to nowhere and high operational costs, bottomline the gov't interference created the mess in the first place.

The private system works wonderfull for freight and where Gov't intervention has occured unnecessarily or to an excessive degree, it has led to severe problems and a near economic crisis. I cannot support the nationalization of frieght railroads under any circumstances.

Well sure, that's why I specifically made clear in the amendment that not every railroad had to be nationalised. Almost exclusively, I have in mind passenger services when I talk of natural monopolies.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 08:14:12 PM »

Passenger service already is nationalized or run with various forms of public corporations like Amtrak. There might be a few commuter services that are private working under contract, but that is it.

It doesn't say that, it just says "provided there is a public interest", which is extremely vague. Who decides what is and what is not a public interest. TNF thinks it is in the public interest to nationalize everything that makes money. Tongue
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2014, 12:22:53 AM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 12:25:33 AM »

abstain
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »

Vote on the 61:29 by bore:

Aye (5): Tyrion, Griffin, TNF, bore, and Alfred
Nay (3): Lumine, Goldwater, Yankee
Abstain (1): shua

Didn't Vote (1): DC

The amendment has been adopted.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11:27 AM »

This is ridiculous.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

Not really. Most nations have some degree of nationalization, and I frankly am sick and tired of ours being behind the curve on making industry run in the public interest, rather than on the qualms of private sector parasites.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014, 04:19:57 PM »

American Leyland, here we come.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

What is the definition of public interest in your view?

Companies exist to make a profit by a providing a good or a service to the people, whilst obeying all laws and regulations in place to protect the public. That very action serves the public interest and to the extent that it fails, is a regulatory problem (sometimes too much, sometimes too little, sometimes enough but just done stupidly and sometimes enforcement problems).

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2014, 08:27:32 PM »

Where are we on this?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2014, 09:34:26 PM »

I still don't think I've heard what problem this bill is supposed to solve.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2014, 11:31:53 AM »

Parasites controlling major industry.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2014, 01:14:17 PM »

I don't see how this bill would change that. 

No, I want to know about problems that actually make a difference in people's lives.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »

No, I want to know about problems that actually make a difference in people's lives.

Nationalizing electricity will mean we'll be able to expand service in under served areas and lower rates, for one.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »

Nationalizing electricity will mean we'll be able to expand service in under served areas and lower rates, for one.

We already have the Smart Grid Electrical Distribution Act, and I don't think we can assume removing competition leads to lower rates even if the monopoly is government run.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2014, 07:45:36 PM »

The answer is not to surrender to gov't monolies but to organize non-profit alternatives to compete with the for profit actors and thus bring their behavior into line or maybe put them out of business.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2014, 09:46:41 AM »

The answer is not to surrender to gov't monolies but to organize non-profit alternatives to compete with the for profit actors and thus bring their behavior into line or maybe put them out of business.

A non-profit monopoly and a government monopoly can be one in the same, provided this is structured correctly.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2014, 06:52:18 PM »

A non-profit monopoly and a government monopoly can be one in the same, provided this is structured correctly.

But I have less as much hatred for bigger gov't as I do for big business and I find both to be in their preferred condition, as small and decentralized as possible, otherwise it is people that get smaller and smaller relative to institutions of power/wealth.

The key to getting the desired result is to increase competition and alter the market incentives to push them in the desired direction.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2014, 03:30:01 AM »

It's difficult to just manufacture increased competition, though. I think we can all agree that it's very difficult for there not to be an oligopoly or a monopoly in many of these industries because of the high infrastructure costs associated with an entrance to the industry.

Unlike TNF, I don't oppose a market-based solution on principle, but I do oppose it based on the manifested outcome of such a system.

If there were a way to have a massively competitive market in these industries, I would support it. But there's not, so I can't support a market solution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies