SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:45:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Public Ownership Act of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 3570 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 20, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
« edited: June 17, 2014, 12:37:02 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:40:16 PM »

I'm all for nationalization, and I hope my colleagues on the right as well as the President see the light on this issue. We can't let our energy sector be run by the Almighty Dollar.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

The point of this bill is to bring the essential elements of our economic foundation under public ownership. This bill will allow for the backbone of the economy to remain on a stable footing.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »

3. All privately-held iron and steel companies shall be brought into public ownership effective upon the passage of this legislation.

Is it retro day in Atlasia or something?

Not much to add to this one. I'll be voting against it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:56:13 AM »

Somehow I get the feeling this bill won't become law any time soon. There's always the next election...
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

I'm not necessarily opposed to nationalisation in some specific and particular cases (as the privatization of certain areas of my country has brought some pretty ugly consecuences), and so the energy proposal has some potential to me, but this act goes too far, and I don't even want to think on what the economical consecuences will be. I will vote against it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 05:45:39 PM »

I would like to see sub-region (regions within state like Triangle, triad, Charlotte Metro here in NC) co-ops be created to bring competition to the big dogs like Duke Progress Energy, which has a virtual monopoly.

But my whole goal is to decentralize not centralize under big gov't instead of big business. So I am against this proposal.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23:09 PM »

Even though I support all of these, I personally think this is too omnibus to pass. I've always supported energy nationalization - and I think it could pass this chamber on its own - but I'm a bit doubtful of 6 of us coming to a consensus on also nationalizing steel, iron and transportation along with it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 09:07:33 PM »

Even though I support all of these, I personally think this is too omnibus to pass. I've always supported energy nationalization - and I think it could pass this chamber on its own - but I'm a bit doubtful of 6 of us coming to a consensus on also nationalizing steel, iron and transportation along with it.

We can try with this, and if it doesn't work we can always break it down into its constituent parts.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »

I am open to amendments to that affect, Adam and Alfred.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 08:57:58 PM »

It should come as a surprise to no one that I am opposed to this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 12:41:18 AM »

The point of this bill is to bring the essential elements of our economic foundation under public ownership. This bill will allow for the backbone of the economy to remain on a stable footing.

I would prefer to see the backbone of our economy able to stretch and roam free, to develop alternative and diverse energy resources and technologies, not loaded down by bureaucracy and stuck in a monopolistic morass.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:58:54 AM »

I would prefer to see the backbone of our economy able to stretch and roam free, to develop alternative and diverse energy resources and technologies, not loaded down by bureaucracy and stuck in a monopolistic morass.

Of course the energy sector is already monopolized and steered by a private sector bureaucracy that erects barriers to entry and keeps out alternative energies (which is why we've had to essentially legislate them into existence), but don't let that get in the way of your self-righteous "muh markets" nonsense.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:28:46 AM »

Of course the energy sector is already monopolized and steered by a private sector bureaucracy that erects barriers to entry and keeps out alternative energies (which is why we've had to essentially legislate them into existence), but don't let that get in the way of your self-righteous "muh markets" nonsense.

Whatever obstacles private sector alternative energy and transportation meets, at least it is not currently illegal as you would have it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »

Whatever obstacles private sector alternative energy and transportation meets, at least it is not currently illegal as you would have it.

Energy should not be produced to feed the private sector monopolies (which you do not seem to oppose) but the people.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2014, 06:22:00 PM »

Energy should not be produced to feed the private sector monopolies (which you do not seem to oppose) but the people.
Out of curiosity, which energy companies do you believe possess monopolies?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 11:02:12 PM »

We have promoted policies over the past several years to diversify energy options and protect consumers in Atlasia.  If you have any suggestions to further promote competition and choice in the energy sector, I'm all ears.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2014, 07:01:14 AM »

My rule of thumb is if there is a natural monopoly and it's a public service then it should be in public hands, or, at the very least quasi public hands. So I would support nationalising railways, bus routes in cities, hospitals, schools and probably most power plants as well. What I can categorically say is I don't support nationalising steel and iron companies anymore than I support nationalising paperclip production. With that said, I'm offering an amendment:

Also, why does the IDS get such lopsided representation? Is it some sort of bribe to yankee Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »

Amendment is friendly
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »

We have promoted policies over the past several years to diversify energy options and protect consumers in Atlasia.  If you have any suggestions to further promote competition and choice in the energy sector, I'm all ears.

I don't care about choice, Sen. Shua, sir. I just have an inherent distrust of the profit motive (that is how one becomes a Laborite, after all).
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 06:30:40 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2014, 03:49:13 PM by Cincinnatus »

Quote from: Restricted

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2014, 07:12:28 PM »

I object, on the grounds that there is no such natural monopoly with regards to railroads.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2014, 07:14:16 PM »

Objection filed by Yankee.  A vote is now open on the aforementioned amendment by bore.  Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »

Aye.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »

That is amendment 61:29 by bore (see lame duck thread for explanation. Wink)

and NAY
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies