Opinion of a Negative Income Tax
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:46:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of a Negative Income Tax
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
FF
HP
Other (explain)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Opinion of a Negative Income Tax  (Read 1151 times)
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2014, 08:48:27 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:49:39 AM »

Horrible Policy. I prefer a universal basic income policy instead.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 10:30:45 AM »

Doesn't a negative income tax effectively result in that though?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 10:33:58 AM »

Not in my understanding. An NIT, afaik, is not at all un-friendly to capitalism, unlike a UBI, which would definitely cause the system to jam up and freak out because there's a ready alternative to wage labor being provided in the form of a cash payout to everyone in society.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 10:39:22 AM »

Not in my understanding. An NIT, afaik, is not at all un-friendly to capitalism, unlike a UBI, which would definitely cause the system to jam up and freak out because there's a ready alternative to wage labor being provided in the form of a cash payout to everyone in society.

So the difference in your mind is that NIT is a supplement to bring people up to X, while a UBI pays out X to most everyone?

Just trying to clarify definitions here.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 10:48:42 AM »

Essentially, yes, that is my understanding of what the difference is, DC.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 10:53:16 AM »

Isn't this just a paltry form of basic income?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »

I'm not against the idea, but I am not educated in economics as you all know by now, so I won't make any statements for or against it based on its sustainability.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »

HP
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »

Dream come true, but it would be difficult to administer.

Assume $8,000 refundable tax credit, no deductions, and 35% flat tax (15% FICA, 20% income tax). The resulting system would be a robust tax cut for everyone below median income and a sharp tax increase (2%-5% of income) for the top 20% of Americans. It would be slightly more onerous than Clinton-era taxes. According to my rough calculations, the system would generate about $2.1T in tax revenue and welfare savings, a bit short of the $2.3T we collected from FIT and FICA in 2013.

Unfortunately, my example doesn't even meet Friedman's definition of a just system, in which individuals receive a refundable credit equal to the poverty level for a single-person household ($11,500). Therefore, non-cash benefits like Medicaid and SNAP would have to be retained, which doesn't achieve economic efficiency by centralizing our entitlements into a Super IRS.

It's a tricky system to administer, and it relies heavily upon the wealthy accepting tax-subsidized labor in exchange for higher effective tax rates on the wealthy, but negative income tax has a great deal of potential.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 01:24:35 AM »

I'm not opposed to a NIT by itself but I'm opposed to attempts to use this to replace every other social welfare/insurance program
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2014, 01:40:58 AM »

I'm not morally outraged by the idea or anything, but it strikes me as a needlessly convoluted and kind of paltry excuse not to just spring for a guaranteed income.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2014, 07:20:49 AM »

Essentially, yes, that is my understanding of what the difference is, DC.

Ok.

My main issue with a negative income tax is that it is lagging measure. You still need to have some form of welfare state to keep people's incomes up if they suddenly drop. So yeah I think a basic income is more appropriate.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 09:01:50 AM »

I'm not opposed to a NIT by itself but I'm opposed to attempts to use this to replace every other social welfare/insurance program
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 09:04:23 AM »

I oppose any sort of basic income system.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »

Not a fan.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2014, 08:48:37 AM »

Can someone explain me the difference with a guaranteed minimum income? I've never got it.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 09:54:48 AM »

Can someone explain me the difference with a guaranteed minimum income? I've never got it.
A minimum income is just a flat payment for everybody. A negative income tax is typically progressive (as in, the less you make, the higher the NIT payment) and stops after you reach a certain income level.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »

A minimum income is just a flat payment for everybody. A negative income tax is typically progressive (as in, the less you make, the higher the NIT payment) and stops after you reach a certain income level.

So even billionaires would get the minimum income? Tongue Well then I guess NIT makes more sense.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »

So even billionaires would get the minimum income? Tongue Well then I guess NIT makes more sense.

Yes, even billionaires. The point of a minimum income is that it is solidaristic; means-tested programs make poor programs because they create instant opposition from those not benefiting from them. That's why President Clinton was able to abolished means-tested Welfare but President Bush was not able to abolish solidaristic Social Security.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:26 PM »

Yes, even billionaires. The point of a minimum income is that it is solidaristic; means-tested programs make poor programs because they create instant opposition from those not benefiting from them. That's why President Clinton was able to abolished means-tested Welfare but President Bush was not able to abolish solidaristic Social Security.

But why bother with millionaires and billionaires? The tycoons of your nightmares don't care whether they get some piddly minimum income payment.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2014, 01:28:59 PM »

should be expanded.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
« Edited: May 23, 2014, 08:50:40 PM by AggregateDemand »

No. Guaranteed Minimum Income usually means the government insures your income to a certain amount, like $30,000. The phase out for guaranteed minimum income is 1 to 1. If a citizen earns $0 income, the government pays $30,000 in GMI. If the citizen makes $20,000 income, the government pays $10,000 in GMI. GMI is usually adjusted based upon individual circumstance.

NIT generally uses a flat payment or tax credit (e.g. $10,000) for all citizens, which is subject to a proportional tax system. If a worker makes $0 income, they get paid $10,000. If they earn $30,000 income (20% tax), they receive $4,000 in NIT payments ($10,000 NIT - $6,000 tax owed on $30,000 income).

GMI discourages private-sector work, but generally rewards traditional societies with imputed income from stay-at-home family work. GMI caters to the individual with adjustments for circumstance, etc.

NIT encourages private-sector work, but discriminates slightly against imputed income relative to GMI. NIT encourage people to build households, traditional or non-traditional, because NIT won't cater to individual circumstance.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 06:40:26 PM »

Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States