Odds GOP wins 2016 Presidential Election if Clinton doesn't run (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:02:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Odds GOP wins 2016 Presidential Election if Clinton doesn't run (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What are the odds that the GOP wins 2016 Presidential Election if Clinton doesn't run?
0-25

25-40

40-49

50-65

65+

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 72

Author Topic: Odds GOP wins 2016 Presidential Election if Clinton doesn't run  (Read 3969 times)
GaussLaw
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:14:26 PM »

I know these are awkward intervals, but I wanted to see with 5 options whether people think the GOP has more than a 50% chance at the White House without Clinton running.

I'd personally give the GOP a 75% chance at winning without Hillary running.  Given these Senate primaries and the tendency of an out-party to moderate(see Silver article on this) after 8 years, I think an establishment candidate like Walker or Jeb will get nominated.  The Dems would probably pick Warren, Biden, or O'Malley, all of whom are weak candidates. 

If Clinton runs, then the GOP has at best a 25% chance of winning at this point IMO.
GaussLaw
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:09:02 PM »

I would say that in this environment, if the Republicans win the senate this year and Clinton doesn't run, I would say that the Republicans are probably as favored as Democrats were in 2008 to win. It would be a very similar environment. In 2007, the Republican party was unpopular and lost most of the Federal and State races from the year before. Further, it seemed that their major policy, the Occupation of Iraq, was unpopular though Democrats couldn't do anything about it. To crown it off, the Republicans didn't have good candidates. If an even slight recession begins in 2015/2016, Bush or Walker will probably win with 53ish% of the vote. They probably won't have the same margins in congress that Obama had but somewhere between Bush and Obama at their heights. 

So...60-70% chance of winning if they take the senate, 50/50 if they don't. If she does run, take 20% from those numbers.

While the difference between 30/70 and 50/50 may seem huge, you highlighted an interesting idea. 

What you're saying is that Hillary running would only make a difference 1 in 5 times.  While it may seem huge in terms of probability change, the result would remain the same 80% of the time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies