Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:57:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country"  (Read 2764 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 21, 2014, 07:03:52 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/howard-dean-tells-republicans-leave-america-back-russia-115029601.html

I think this type of rhetoric is best left to those in the Conservative-Outrage-Industrial Complex.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Unsettling shades of Pat Buchanan and Sarah Palin here.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »

Disappointing, I didn't think he was that type of guy Sad
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

Ugh, disgusting.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »

I half-agree with him, given the rhetoric the Republicans are using, at that some (Allen West, Michelle Bachmann I'm looking at you) would no problems making the America a right-wing dictatorship if they were able to.

That said it's still stupid for him to actually vocalize that opinion to anyone.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 07:27:26 PM »
« Edited: May 21, 2014, 07:44:45 PM by angus »

Unsettling shades of Pat Buchanan and Sarah Palin here.

Not at all.  The former can be abrasive and the latter is a moron, but these aren't the sorts of things they say.  Howard Dean says horrible things regularly.  You may be too young to remember the 2000 primary campaign.  He spent more time insulting the GOP primary voters than trying to win that primary election.  He is very well known to be an intolerant bigot toward Republicans, and an islamophobe as well.  To be fair, he is probably not a major-league asshole on par with Rush Limbaugh or Bill Maher, but he doesn't have the best "bedside manner" and much was written about that in the 2000 campaign.  (Social skills are something we talk about regularly with my irregularly willful son just now.)  I perceived that Dean was a thorough jerk at the time, and I was surprised when he was made the DNC chairman.  As it turns out, he performed well in that job.  In fact, he had an extremely successful tenure as DNC chairman.  We had several threads about him some ten years ago, and I had to admit that he was well-suited to that position.  I guess you don't have to have a personality to do that job.  Anyway, this sort of comment is nothing unusual from Howard Dean.  I certainly wouldn't expect Obama to appoint him to any post in the State Department.

JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 07:35:44 PM »

Damn, what a dumbass.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »

It's a fact that the Republican Party is engaging in an organized campaign to suppress and discourage voting.  Call that undemocratic, un-American, unfair or whatever, it's wrong.  If you delicate sensibilities were hurt, I don't really feel sorry for you.  You ought to feel more sorry for people who are being disenfranchised by Republicans.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

I would say that it probably sucks to hear this as it does when anyone insinuates that anyone else should be made stateless for not agreeing with their policies.

"Don't like Bush, go to Canada" and "Don't like Obama, go to Qatar" are amongst the least tactful bumper stickers out there.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »

It's a fact that the Republican Party is engaging in an organized campaign to suppress and discourage voting.  Call that undemocratic, un-American, unfair or whatever, it's wrong.  If you delicate sensibilities were hurt, I don't really feel sorry for you.  You ought to feel more sorry for people who are being disenfranchised by Republicans.

This is the correct response.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 08:41:42 PM »

As someone who Republicans tried to disenfranchise because his voting bloc didn't vote Republican, I agree.

Why vote for a party that doesn't think you should have the right to vote?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 09:43:54 PM »

As someone who Republicans tried to disenfranchise because his voting bloc didn't vote Republican, I agree.

Explain how the Republicans tried to disenfranchise you.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »

Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »

The right wing blogosphere has been giving Putin sloppy wet kisses lately, talking about how he's such a strong leader and hates teh gayz and has strong morals and is so much better than Obama, so Dean has a point.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »

The right wing blogosphere has been giving Putin sloppy wet kisses lately, talking about how he's such a strong leader and hates teh gayz and has strong morals and is so much better than Obama, so Dean has a point.

Similarly, I was around back in 1994 when the Far Right kept sending letters to the newspaper praising the government of Singapore for its caning of an American accused of vandalism. I always felt that if the right-wingers liked Singapore so much, they should be deported and sent to live there.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 05:48:43 AM »

Similarly, I was around back in 1994 when the Far Right kept sending letters to the newspaper praising the government of Singapore for its caning of an American accused of vandalism. I always felt that if the right-wingers liked Singapore so much, they should be deported and sent to live there.

Yes. That was around the same time that a prominent Republican senator directly
threatened the President, in an interview. Contrary to what some prefer to believe, the insanity of the Republican party didn't just suddenly appear when Obama was elected.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 05:55:06 AM »

The GOP have been defining what's 'American' and 'Un-American' since the Depression. Why not fight back? Why not say that trying to disenfranchise voters and give big business and big religion a free reign over every aspect of political life is what's really 'Un-American' when you get down to the basics?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »

The GOP have been defining what's 'American' and 'Un-American' since the Post Civil War period. Why not fight back? Why not say that trying to disenfranchise voters and give big business and big religion a free reign over every aspect of political life is what's really 'Un-American' when you get down to the basics?

Fixed, given that a lot of northern WASPs thought the war gave them the right to attack immigrants and papists as "unamerican" for voting Democratic.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2014, 06:41:30 AM »

LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2014, 06:50:23 AM »

Explain how the Republicans tried to disenfranchise you.
I don't know about the New Hampshire Republicans, but Ohio Republicans are purposely disfranchising students and minority voters solely to stay in power while a NC precinct chairman openly admitted the GOP were implementing their laws to hurt Democrats. On a national level, the GOP is even too lazy to allow a bipartisan vote on restoring a section of the Voting Rights Act. According to a Republicans though, every person has a personal staffer to make sure they can vote, so what do they care.

I'm not a fan of Dean resorting to Cuomo rhetoric in attempting to "shun" all conservatives, but he nonetheless is right in the first part. Republicans are so undemocratic and don't represent the country at all. They'd rather play impeachment games with every President than actually work on something of relativity. State Republicans are perhaps even worse and thanks to Jefferson have the power to ignore the federal government whenever they want all out of spite against Obama even if it means being a heartless dictator who refuses to expand Medicaid (LePage), refusing early voting in Cuyahoga County alone (Kasich) or kills the state revenue for stubborn, unethical reasons (Brownback). They pretend to care about unborn babies, yet they support letting children going hungry in schools, the poor having to live by on little to no assistance from deep cuts, and allowing grown men to intentionally suffer and die; even those with terrible mental capacity. Dean does have an idea though and if Republicans are so unhappy with the current government, then let them be their own independent nation and fail on their own without jeopardizing the health of the nation.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2014, 07:26:20 AM »

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

Yes. That was around the same time that a prominent Republican senator directly
threatened the President, in an interview. Contrary to what some prefer to believe, the insanity of the Republican party didn't just suddenly appear when Obama was elected.

I think the Singapore story may have actually been the beginning of the Tea Party - except it wasn't normally called the Tea Party yet. But I do remember letters to the local newspaper making references to "Taxed Enough Already."
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 10:27:35 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Well, the people in this thread talking about 'fighting back', are, in a certain sense, correct. I mean, if the Democrats had the ability to disenfranchise Republicans, then they undoubtedly would do so. That's the thing, if people have power, then they will inevitably use it to f*** over their opponents. Dean seems to understand this. I mean, sure, a few people may be genuinely committed to the idea of abiding by 'the popular will', whatever that means, but the truth is, most people have no such qualms. As longas the interests of their own people are being advanced they couldn't care less if their opponents get the (either metaphorical or actual) crap kicked out of them. If Howard Dean had the opportunaity to disenfranchise his opponents, then he clearly would do so.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2014, 11:03:31 AM »

Well, the people in this thread talking about 'fighting back', are, in a certain sense, correct. I mean, if the Democrats had the ability to disenfranchise Republicans, then they undoubtedly would do so.

The Democrats controlled all but a few state legislatures 30 years ago. But I don't know of any instances back then where Republicans were turned away when they tried to vote.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

Well, the people in this thread talking about 'fighting back', are, in a certain sense, correct. I mean, if the Democrats had the ability to disenfranchise Republicans, then they undoubtedly would do so.

The Democrats controlled all but a few state legislatures 30 years ago. But I don't know of any instances back then where Republicans were turned away when they tried to vote.

Of course, of course. I mean, when I say 'ability', simply being in government doesn't give you the ability to do certain things. After all, especially thirty years ago, Republican voters tended to be better off, and its far harder to disenfranchise better off people without making it look like (or at least giving the facade of it looking like that) they're being deliberately disenfranchised than it is for poorer people to be disenfranchised in that type of way. I'm not making any comments about the morality of such moves, I'm simply stating that, if Democrats could do so, then most Democrats would do so, just as most Republicans would.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies