Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Howard Dean: Republicans are "not American," should "stay away from our country"  (Read 2804 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« on: May 22, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »

Well, the people in this thread talking about 'fighting back', are, in a certain sense, correct. I mean, if the Democrats had the ability to disenfranchise Republicans, then they undoubtedly would do so. That's the thing, if people have power, then they will inevitably use it to f*** over their opponents. Dean seems to understand this. I mean, sure, a few people may be genuinely committed to the idea of abiding by 'the popular will', whatever that means, but the truth is, most people have no such qualms. As longas the interests of their own people are being advanced they couldn't care less if their opponents get the (either metaphorical or actual) crap kicked out of them. If Howard Dean had the opportunaity to disenfranchise his opponents, then he clearly would do so.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:08:48 AM »

Well, the people in this thread talking about 'fighting back', are, in a certain sense, correct. I mean, if the Democrats had the ability to disenfranchise Republicans, then they undoubtedly would do so.

The Democrats controlled all but a few state legislatures 30 years ago. But I don't know of any instances back then where Republicans were turned away when they tried to vote.

Of course, of course. I mean, when I say 'ability', simply being in government doesn't give you the ability to do certain things. After all, especially thirty years ago, Republican voters tended to be better off, and its far harder to disenfranchise better off people without making it look like (or at least giving the facade of it looking like that) they're being deliberately disenfranchised than it is for poorer people to be disenfranchised in that type of way. I'm not making any comments about the morality of such moves, I'm simply stating that, if Democrats could do so, then most Democrats would do so, just as most Republicans would.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies