The Office of Mideast Governor TJ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:36:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Office of Mideast Governor TJ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: The Office of Mideast Governor TJ  (Read 10308 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 04:38:02 PM »

x TJ in Wisco

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »

Mideast Elections September 2014 Gubernatorial Results
TJ/Tmthforu (11 votes):  (Tmth, Anton, Hifly, Cassius, Oldiesfreak, Enderman, Inks, Ben, JCL, Badger, TJ)
Bmotley/Shua (5 votes): Spiral, Mechaman, Shua, ElectionsGuy, Bmotley

TJ and Tmthforu are elected as Mideast Governor and Lt. Governor

Mideast Elections September 2014 Assembly Results

1st Count: 18 Valid Votes, Quota = 5
Spiral (6 votes): Spiral, Anton, Elections Guy, Bmotley, Inks, JCL
Hifly (6 votes): Tmth, Cassius, Hifly, Oldiesfreak, DC al Fine, TJ
Mechaman (4 votes): Mechaman, Shua, Ben, Badger

Enderman (1 vote): Enderman
Exhausted (1 vote): Franzl

Spiral and Hifly are elected with a surplus
Mechaman is  elected without quota

Spiral, Hifly and Mechaman are elected to the Mideast Assembly

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2014, 11:56:40 PM »

Congrats on another term!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2014, 01:30:10 AM »

Congratulations!

The Mideast Right to Life Act has been passed by the Assembly.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »

I have determined that we're within the bounds of the Federal Constitution in regards to immigration enforcement in so much as Mideast officials may not enforce deport individuals in violation of this act. However, the Federal government operating within the Mideast may still enforce immigration law as it sees fit in accordance with the Federal constitution and statutes.

Thus I have decided to sign the Mideast Right to Life Act.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

x TJ in Wisco
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »

I have determined that we're within the bounds of the Federal Constitution in regards to immigration enforcement in so much as Mideast officials may not enforce deport individuals in violation of this act. However, the Federal government operating within the Mideast may still enforce immigration law as it sees fit in accordance with the Federal constitution and statutes.

Thus I have decided to sign the Mideast Right to Life Act.

x TJ in Wisco

I applaud sections 4-7 of this bill. The first three sections regarding illegal immigrants should've been addressed in another bill.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2014, 11:13:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
[/quote]

x TJ in Wisco
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »

The Assembly has passed the Promotion of Marriage in Education Act.

That was the final business of the session.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2014, 11:19:53 PM »

Frankly, Mr. Governor, sir, I won't be shocked if you sign this bill. I know you and I disagree on many issues and that basic human dignity for all Atlasians is one of them. However, I beseech thee in the bowels of Christ to veto this bill. This is nothing but an attempt to dehumanize and debase the millions of LGBT students all across your great region and to teach them that they are less than full citizens of this nation, less than human even. I understand that you have your reasons for opposing full civil rights for LGBT Atlasians, but I do hope that you are not so far gone as to make it official government policy that they are worse than their heterosexual brothers and sisters. A marriage is a marriage, no matter how gay, and it is inhumane to demean the millions of happily married gay couples all across the Mideast and Atlasia at-large (including Mr. Flo and myself) to declare us *inherently* worse than couples such as Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2014, 05:25:05 AM »
« Edited: September 25, 2014, 05:27:14 AM by Mechaman »

Frankly, Mr. Governor, sir, I won't be shocked if you sign this bill. I know you and I disagree on many issues and that basic human dignity for all Atlasians is one of them. However, I beseech thee in the bowels of Christ to veto this bill. This is nothing but an attempt to dehumanize and debase the millions of LGBT students all across your great region and to teach them that they are less than full citizens of this nation, less than human even. I understand that you have your reasons for opposing full civil rights for LGBT Atlasians, but I do hope that you are not so far gone as to make it official government policy that they are worse than their heterosexual brothers and sisters. A marriage is a marriage, no matter how gay, and it is inhumane to demean the millions of happily married gay couples all across the Mideast and Atlasia at-large (including Mr. Flo and myself) to declare us *inherently* worse than couples such as Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries.

I was going to make my own personal appeal, but I guess I can start off with this point.

TJ, I know you subscribe to a very religious Catholic teaching about morality.  However, based off of what I have observed, I stubbornly hold to a belief that you know that using the government in this manner is wrong.  Nobody's life is going to be saved if you sign this into law.

Do.  Not.  Sign.  This.  Legislation.

If you sign this, then it is war.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2014, 05:39:54 AM »

I was going to make my own personal appeal, but I guess I can start off with this point.

TJ, I know you subscribe to a very religious Catholic teaching about morality.  However, based off of what I have observed, I stubbornly hold to a belief that you know that using the government in this manner is wrong.  Nobody's life is going to be saved if you sign this into law.

Do.  Not.  Sign.  This.  Legislation.

If you sign this, then it is war.

I wouldn't worry, because it's very likely he won't.

The precedent/process for unpopular legislation/law in the Mideast is as follows:

1) Legislature passes crazy shit
2) It lands on Governor's desk
3) People demand Governor veto it
4) Governor remains silent, stalls for 7 days
5) Bill becomes law
6) Inevitable lawsuit appears
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2014, 06:00:31 AM »

This is the sort of legislation I felt that the Mideast would eventually pass, in time. The political atmosphere of the region was in part behind the decision I made to leave after nearly ten years of residency. I've commented on this for other reasons however.

Ultimately this is a game. Part of the reason why over the decade of this game, we don't have laws like this on the statute books in Atlasia is because of the make-up of the forum and the make up of the players does not reflect reality. Over 1/3rd of the Forum identify as LGBT. To approve by signing, or to tacitly approve by allowing the legislation to simply become law a piece of legislation in this game which is deeply offensive and deeply personal to many people who play it, I think sets a worrying precedent. Part of the reason is because unlike many of the other issues we play about with on Atlasia this is something very tangible for people. As a statement, which is precisely what this piece of legislation is (and given the person it comes from) it is designed to do nothing but offend and rile. I would request that this bill be vetoed.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2014, 06:35:39 AM »

I have to recommend that this bill be sent back to the Assembly for further consideration.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2014, 07:10:21 AM »

Let the battle commence.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

I have to recommend that this bill be sent back to the Assembly for further consideration.

I have to recommend that this bill be burned.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »

I have to recommend that this bill be burned.

I have to recommend that this speaker be made into an effigy and be burned.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2014, 03:47:55 PM »

If it does become law, I expect a swift court case to strike it down.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 03:47:47 PM »

It is clear that Governor TJ is taking the coward's way out. He's not even brave enough to put his name on such an atrocity.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2014, 07:19:25 PM »

Governor, I humbly request you veto the Promotion of Marriage in Education Bill.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »

Good evening friends.

As almost all of you are aware, I have been remained publically silent about the Mideast Promotion of Marriage in Education Act recently passed by the Assembly. That silence will end tonight. I have been following closely to the words of all those who have contacted me in an effort to persuade me to veto this bill, both respectfully and otherwise. What I have to say will, I’m sure please almost no one, but I cannot continue to cower behind procedure.

To be frank, I do not believe in gay marriage. That much has been common knowledge for some time and my view has not changed.

However, that does not necessarily mean I must support every bill consistent with that opinion regardless of its feasibility or effects. If enacted, this bill would legally require teachers to enunciate an opinion on a moral issue that many of them do not themselves hold. It sets the precedent of establishing the school system as a primary instructor of morality. Done without the proper moral fabric that cannot legally be taught in our schools, it would likely be seen as an aggressive imposition on the students themselves and convince no one. As many folks have suggested in their correspondence with me, it would likely lead to an increase in bullying and stimulate the effective witch hunt of those students thought to be gay by their peers. Furthermore, even if I signed the bill it would almost certainly never take effect. It would give the federal government leverage to dictate its own version of morality in the classroom. It has become quite clear that enacting this bill would not reshape our culture for the better.

Occasionally in the course of our decision making process, we run across a situation where we must decide between a symbolic stand and prudence. Sometimes a desperate stand must be taken if not doing so would require a man to commit an act of intrinsic evil before God who sees all. But when neither option would be an intrinsic evil, such as in this case, prudence must be used to determine the appropriate course of action.

Therefore, I am vetoing the Promotion of Marriage in Education Act.

For better or for worse, the future of morality in this world lies not in the government but in the choices that each and every one of you make in the course of your daily lives and in your relationships. That is not to deny the government a role whatsoever in morality. Nearly every law we pass has some elements of morality in it and always will. There are tasks the government is suited to doing effectively, such as defending human life from conception until natural death. But there are limits to what the government is capable of doing. If you want to change the world the first person you have to change is yourself. For some of us that alone will take a lifetime.

Good night and God Bless. And although they undoubtedly teach you not to say this in politician school, may God have mercy on us. All of us; myself most certainly included.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:44 PM »

Thank you for doing the right thing, TJ.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2014, 10:04:29 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2014, 10:13:17 PM »

Well done, Governor, and well said.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »

Thank you kindly, Mr. Governor, sir. The Mideast is a better place because of you today.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2014, 01:26:31 AM »

Well done Governor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to: