In your opinion, which country produces the best cars?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:51:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  In your opinion, which country produces the best cars?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: In your opinion, which country produces the best cars?
US

Japan

Germany

S.Korea

UK

France

Italy

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: In your opinion, which country produces the best cars?  (Read 912 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2014, 11:21:02 PM »

The US is much better than it was 25+ years ago, but still behind the best, Japan.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »

Japan, but I heard USA improved (it was really dreadful in the 90's).
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »

Of the ones I (and my wife) have owned, Volkswagen has been my favorite (out of Ford, Mazda, Toyota, and Volkswagen).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 11:52:13 PM »

Japan, but I heard USA improved (it was really dreadful in the 90's).
90s was hit and miss (more miss than hit), the 80s was a joke.  Really there was almost nothing good to come out of Detroit between 73 (first big fuel crunch) and 97 (the C5 'vette).
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 11:55:35 PM »

United States bar none, even if just for the superb styling on most US models.

Anything manufactured in the UK is a piece of [inks], trust me I drive a Land Rover currently and I'm waiting to trade-up to an F150
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 12:32:03 AM »

UK vehicles aren't horrible, the quality control is though.  What year Land Rover ya got, an Indian one, a Ford one, a German one or an old one?

United States bar none, even if just for the superb styling on most US models.
What like the Pontiac Aztek or the PT Cruiser or the last Thunderbird or the first Taurus or the car that looked like the first Taurus on steroids, the 90s Caprice.  And that's just cars made in the last 20ish years and ignoring turds like the Pacer, the Edsel, and everything Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth made in the 70s.

and thinking about it more, even the good looking American cars all look bloated.  All of the new pony cars look like giant tanks up close.  Even the 'vettes look huge, more so in real life than in photos.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 09:58:51 AM »

Germany
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »

'Murica!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »

North Korea
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 07:14:06 PM »

Going to say Germany here in an absolute sense, but they're pretty damn expensive. Japanese cars are certainly best in a quality:affordability ratio sense.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2014, 09:21:22 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2014, 09:24:03 PM by Simfan34 »

GOAT

Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 08:43:53 AM »

Australia and I'm serious. We don't make any bad cars.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 12:24:01 PM »

I've only owned one German car, a 2000 VW Golf.  Compared to it's Japanese competition it was garbage.  Dials falling off.  Trim coming apart.  It was in worse shape at 25k than my Mazda 3 is at 110k.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »

I would say Japanese cars are generally the best value, but German cars are generally the best driving.  Basically, a BMW is more fun to drive than a comparable Lexus.  A Volkswagen is more fun to drive than a comparable Toyota.  A Honda will cost less for maintenance and purchase price than a comparable Volkswagen.

In my estimation, better means performance, handling and comfort.  So, I would give the nod to the krauts.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2014, 02:01:10 PM »

Mazda does both Wink

Maybe not as overall reliable as the better Toyotas, maybe not as....refined as a BMW, but often faster and ALWAYS cheaper.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »

Mazda does both Wink

Maybe not as overall reliable as the better Toyotas, maybe not as....refined as a BMW, but often faster and ALWAYS cheaper.

I don't drive a lot since I live in NYC.  But, if we're comparing a BMW 3 series to a Mazda sedan, I'm pretty sure the BMW is a superior driving car.  The difference is more in the handling and suspension rather than horsepower or anything like that.  Japanese cars tend to have less road feel.  But, what do I know, the only car I've driven in the past year was a Bentley.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2014, 05:38:01 PM »

Tough call.  Most people IRL would probably say Japan.  Personally, I'd much rather buy an American brand from GM, Ford, or Chrysler, even though over 90% of the parts are foreign-made.  I don't have a problem with buying other products from foreign companies, but being from Michigan, the auto industry is very near and dear to me (like it is for most of the state.)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:04 PM »

Germany if we are talking about normal automobiles. Italy and the US make the best supercars.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2014, 10:33:35 AM »

The two best cars I've had were a Toyota and a Mercedes.  I'm not sure where they were made, though.  (I assume Japan and Germany, respectively.)  The worst car I ever had was a Fiat.  It was made in Turin.  I'm certain about that.  Anyway, I voted "other" and was thinking of Mexico.  I do know that all Mazda 3 for the US market will be made in Mexico starting in 2015.  Already, most small Hondas and Volkswagen for the US market are made there.   (I've had two Volkswagens and I would never, ever buy another one.  I don't blame the Mexicans for that, though, since it was they were made to the design, and the design was German.)  Mexico has already surpassed Japan as the number 2 supplier to the US market, and will likely surpass Canada in 2015.  Also, Audi and Ford will start producing about 300 thousand cars each in Mexico for the US market, starting in 2016.  At some point, they'll either get really good or folks will stop buying them and they'll stop making them.  Given how badly Mexicans need jobs, my guess is that get really good at it, so I'm voting for Mexico.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2014, 10:44:14 AM »

As an aside to Uncle angus' posting here's a trick for you kids.......Look at the VIN# on your registration or insurance card.  Cars made in the U.S. start with 1,4 or 5, Canada is 2, Mexico is 3, Japan is J, South Korea is K, England is S, Germany is W and Sweden or Finland is Y.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 11:19:47 AM »

Intriguing.  I just whipped out my card and I see that my wife's car is 1 and mine is J.  (Mine is a 2012 Mazda 3.  I was aware that it was made in Japan but that the newer ones will be from Mexico.)  They're both fine cars.  In fact, all my US and all my Japanese cars have been good ones.  I'm hoping that the Mexican ones will be good as well, since that's where most of the new cars will come from.

Thanks for the info, gramps.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:26 AM »

Thanks for the info, gramps.  

No problem.  I love when some schlub buys a Chrysler product all proud of himself that bought "murican" and I deflate his bubble and tell him it was made by browns in Mexico.  Wink   
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2014, 11:56:54 AM »

East Germany-long live the Trabant!
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2014, 12:09:01 PM »

I drove a beat-up Soviet-era Lada in Jamaica once.  It handled pretty well, but it was really a bare-bones car.  Here's an oldie from the 80s:  What's the difference between a Lada and a golf ball?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2014, 02:50:40 PM »

The Top Gear episode where they try and find a good Communist made car is one of my favorites.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies