Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:31:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10
Author Topic: Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7  (Read 14747 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2014, 08:02:18 PM »

That's no excuse or even explanation.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2014, 08:05:41 PM »

Really tragic, for so many reasons. Some of the posts here are also really dumb.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2014, 08:09:22 PM »

I had only brought that up as evidence that he had his own mental problems that contributed to his perception of himself and of others around him. Autism has no direct correlation with violent behavior, of course. A lot of other circumstances led to his ultimate fate. Apologies if I didn't have that clarified.

This incident is sad, though. Apparently his parents caught notice of the videos not so long ago and he was already getting treatment from professionals.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »

Why people continue to spread the lie than the it was a sexually frustated guy. No, it isn't.

It's a male supremacist. The male equilavent of Ku Klux Klan. It's an hate crime against all women and another failure of the NSA and friends to tackle real criminals and hateful websites.

The extreme mascululinist movement is dangerous and must be repressed by the full weight of the state.
Meursault
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »

I legitimately don't understand this 'incel' concept. As unlikable as some people here seem to find me, and as poor as I am, I've never had a problem with women. jmfst was amazed that I was with a Puerto Rican brujeria at one point, for over a year.

So what's the deal with these guys? I mean, if they played the law of averages and messaged a girl a day on OKCupid, they're bound to get lucky at some point. My strategy has always been to use subcultural signifiers as peacock feathers: I'm always more rock-and-roll than your boyfriend.

So what gives?
Meursault
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2014, 08:18:10 PM »

Also, what is a capital-Nice capital-Guy?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »

Since when did Asperger's=Delusional mass murderer?

I read the transcript of this guy's manifesto and he definitely is f[ink]ing nuts.
Meursault
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2014, 08:26:33 PM »

Anyone have a link to the Manifesto? This is a new form of ressentiment to me.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2014, 08:32:29 PM »

And an old form of pretentiousness for you since this is the second time I've seen you use that term since your return.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2014, 08:36:13 PM »

I only got about a page and a half in before I couldn't stand being in this guy's head any more. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Meursault
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2014, 08:36:43 PM »

I'm always innovating old forms of pretentiousness. (Again, pretentiousness is a good thing; we've been in the era of the folksy way too long.)

Now, that link...?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2014, 08:37:16 PM »

As a person with an autistic brother, I of course do not believe in a correlation. But Spiral is not off base in noting that it probably did not help with an already toxic combination of mental problems. My own brother once put a teacher in a neck brace during a violent temper tantrum when he was in the fourth grade; he was diagnosed as bipolar at one point, and after a particularly nasty two week long meltdown that ended with him being baker acted and evaluated by the state, it was proven that the diagnosis was incorrect. So while autism or aspergers doesn’t make a person in anyway violent by themselves, it certainly doesn’t make them incapable of violence.

I agree with Spiral that his aspergers might have contributed to low self esteem and other mental problems lead him down to a path of violent misogyny that ended up with what happened last night.

Why people continue to spread the lie than the it was a sexually frustated guy. No, it isn't.

It's a male supremacist. The male equilavent of Ku Klux Klan. It's an hate crime against all women and another failure of the NSA and friends to tackle real criminals and hateful websites.

The extreme mascululinist movement is dangerous and must be repressed by the full weight of the state.
I have news for you: most douchebags are not mentally imbalanced killers.

This hits a nerve with me. When I was 22, I too drove a BMW and had well-to-do parents and was surrounded by attractive, popular people who by and large pretended I wasn't there. It's frustrating and it makes you a very angry, bitter person.

I never went out and shot a bunch of people (the only person I've ever considered killing is myself). But, yeah, harboring a simultaneous longing for and visceral hatred of the chipper blonde sorority girls who never gave me the time of day; been there, done that. And I still don't understand what it is that I do wrong.

There's no excuse for what Elliot Rodger did, but I do know what he must have felt like.
I don't feel ignored by girls as much as by society at large, but yeah, I can agree with you 100% that I have had similar emotions. Thank God you and I sane. The mental health crisis in this country is always ignored because it is much easier to attack/defend gun rights in the aftermath, sadly. I am glad to see this thread is more dedicated to the subject of why he did it than how he did it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »

Also, what is a capital-Nice capital-Guy?

Those who claim to be "Nice Guys" say that because they are in fact "nice", girls reject them for more assertive/aggressive men. This is in fact rationalizing over the fact that nearly all said "Nice Guys" are complete assholes.
Meursault
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2014, 08:42:51 PM »

Oh, so the old "nice guys finish last" canard? I thought it was some kind of semi-organized thing on the Internet because of the capitalization.

And, yeah, saccharine men do finish last.  The trick is to find a sweet spot between personable and pushover.
Meursault
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »

That's more of a really badly lashed together autobiography than a manifesto. I expected grand pronuncimentoes and white-hot prose; I got P.O.D. lyrics.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »

Reading the gunman's manifesto, it appears that he was friends with Paul Humphrey's daughter. Rather bizzare so far, but very interesting.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2014, 09:18:37 PM »

This is disturbing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2014, 09:28:33 PM »

I have officially lost all faith in humanity.

I also really hate when people say this sh**t after isolated incidents that no sane person would come to do.

Uh... I don't think you get what Antonio was responding to in that post.  It wasn't just the shooting itself, look again at the post right above his.

Oh, so the old "nice guys finish last" canard? I thought it was some kind of semi-organized thing on the Internet because of the capitalization.

It is.  The thing is that the self-described "nice guys", at least those that make a Thing out of it, tend to not actually be nice or anything, but mostly just passive-agressive and entitled.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2014, 09:39:29 PM »

I have officially lost all faith in humanity.

I also really hate when people say this sh**t after isolated incidents that no sane person would come to do.

Uh... I don't think you get what Antonio was responding to in that post.  It wasn't just the shooting itself, look again at the post right above his.

Okay, he was responding to some MRAs on the Internet. I wouldn't declare myself as losing faith in humanity from those goons.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2014, 09:49:22 PM »

I legitimately don't understand this 'incel' concept. As unlikable as some people here seem to find me, and as poor as I am, I've never had a problem with women. jmfst was amazed that I was with a Puerto Rican brujeria at one point, for over a year.

So what's the deal with these guys? I mean, if they played the law of averages and messaged a girl a day on OKCupid, they're bound to get lucky at some point. My strategy has always been to use subcultural signifiers as peacock feathers: I'm always more rock-and-roll than your boyfriend.

So what gives?

Well, I'm a 26 year old with a platinum V-Card. So yes, it is possible. Middle and high school positively crippled me and I've always had to cope with a serious fear of rejection. The few dates I ever went on in college never went anywhere - dinner at one of the few decent restaurants in the sh*thole of a town my college was located in, and then me dropping her off at her dorm/apartment with a cordial "I had fun tonight." That's all that ever happened. The idea that anyone would ever find me attractive or want to be with me is something that's honestly too hard for me to wrap my head around.

I've had girls tell me I'm "too nice" and they can't think of me as anything other than a friend, and I've also had girls say (never to my face) that they think I'm an arrogant, stuck-up jerk. So I really don't know what the problem is with me or what I'm supposed to do.

At least if I were a woman, I could sort of pull it off and more easily blame men for not taking an interest in me. Maybe I could pull off the "Independent Woman" vibe in my 20s and 30s and then age gracefully into an "Old Maid." When a middle-aged woman lives alone with a couple of cats, it's simultaneously somewhat cute and somewhat pitiable. When a man does it, it's just full-scale creepy as hell.
Meursault
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2014, 10:06:22 PM »

All you have to do is get a leather jacket and pout. That's all. If you can at all come off as simultaneously tough and sensitive, it should at least be good for a one-night stand.

Now me, I have a definite type: goth girls. Not scene girls with terrible chest pieces, not emo or hipster girls, but traditional Morticia Addams-type gothlings. Knowing in advance that that's my type helps me to code for them; when I go to the gothic club in Saint Louis (the Crack Fox), I already know what kind of girl will be there, so I know what conversations I'll be having in advance.

I'd suggest the same to you, my friend.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »

It disturbs me that mental health is only discussed after a shooting.
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:52 PM »

it is okay guys, it isn't as if rape culture exists or anything...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2014, 10:17:52 PM »

So what gives?

Well, I'm a 26 year old with a platinum V-Card. So yes, it is possible. Middle and high school positively crippled me and I've always had to cope with a serious fear of rejection. The few dates I ever went on in college never went anywhere - dinner at one of the few decent restaurants in the sh*thole of a town my college was located in, and then me dropping her off at her dorm/apartment with a cordial "I had fun tonight." That's all that ever happened. The idea that anyone would ever find me attractive or want to be with me is something that's honestly too hard for me to wrap my head around.

I've had girls tell me I'm "too nice" and they can't think of me as anything other than a friend, and I've also had girls say (never to my face) that they think I'm an arrogant, stuck-up jerk. So I really don't know what the problem is with me or what I'm supposed to do.

At least if I were a woman, I could sort of pull it off and more easily blame men for not taking an interest in me. Maybe I could pull off the "Independent Woman" vibe in my 20s and 30s and then age gracefully into an "Old Maid." When a middle-aged woman lives alone with a couple of cats, it's simultaneously somewhat cute and somewhat pitiable. When a man does it, it's just full-scale creepy as hell.

I'm sorry to hear that. I applaud you for not committing mass murder, hang in there... what do you want us to say?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2014, 10:19:01 PM »

it is okay guys, it isn't as if rape culture exists or anything...

#StopMassMurderCulture #SayNoToShootingSprees
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies