Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Author Topic: Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7  (Read 14761 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »

It disturbs me that mental health is only discussed after a shooting.
I hope this is sarcasm, because the thing that never seems to be discussed around here after a shooting is mental health.
Meursault
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2014, 10:25:37 PM »

Aren't you a virgin too, Simfan?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2014, 10:26:04 PM »

Also, is it bad that I could see several people on Atlas doing this? I won't name names of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2014, 10:28:11 PM »

Even if I was, why do you say that? I would not expect applause for not committing mass murder. The problem is I don't go to the gym and spend too much time reading books, not "THE SYSTEM AGAINST THE ULTIMATE GENTLEMAN".
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 10:28:49 PM »

Anyone have a link to the Manifesto? This is a new form of ressentiment to me.

I only got about a page and a half in before I couldn't stand being in this guy's head any more. Don't say I didn't warn you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, I honestly felt empathy for this kid until I read this drivel. What a piece of work.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

it is okay guys, it isn't as if rape culture exists or anything...

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that. I applaud you for not committing mass murder, hang in there... what do you want us to say?

Meursault found it hard to believe someone could make it to their 20s without getting to third base, so I gave him an example of how that could happen.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #57 on: May 24, 2014, 10:33:58 PM »

I hope this is sarcasm, because the thing that never seems to be discussed around here after a shooting is mental health.

I'm referring to the media of course.

Gun control should the only topic on the table.
Meursault
« Reply #58 on: May 24, 2014, 10:34:30 PM »

Because Mech was just complaining about his situation, not looking for praise for not being a mass murderer or whatever strange motivation you ascribed him.

And you don't need to get ripped to get laid, though having at least enough musculature to be obvious without flexing helps.

I'm telling you gentlemen: subcultures exist for a reason. Use them.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #59 on: May 24, 2014, 10:36:53 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2014, 10:37:03 PM »

I thought we were just discussing it. Tongue
In terms of the national conversation, it does appear that after a shooting is when mental health gets talked about.   And often not in a very constructive way, since the focus tends to be on preventing these events that are not applicable at all to the vast majority of people with mental health problems.
Meursault
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »

Oh, that's indyTexas, not Mechaman.

But my point stands:

1. Find a subculture you're in tune with. The most useful ones here will be musical/aesthetic ones which are by nature not sexually prudish - punk rock, gothic music, heavy metal, neo-hipppie drug culture ala Schwagstock, whatever.

2, Adapt yourself suitably, attend a concert/bar/club/event affiliated with said subculture, and talk to women.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:02 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2014, 10:51:49 PM by Marokai Besieged »

This has to stop.

Not only is it a stupid and cheap point to keep trying to make and doesn't lead to any engaging discussion, it doesn't matter in practical terms whether "rape culture" actually exists or not, and actively makes it harder to raise awareness about sexual assault and stop actual rapists.

The Rape Abuse Incest National Network is the largest organization in the country dedicated to stomping out sexual assault and lending support to victims, and in a recent 16-page report to the White House about what the government and other organizations around the country can do to reduce sexual assault and bring rapists to justice actively discouraged use of this stupid f**king term. Why? Because it doesn't help accomplish anything and in fact does the exact opposite.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

By obsessively and snarkily beating the term "rape culture" over people's heads, you are blaming and shaming innocent men (and women) who are more likely than not to be receptive to sexual assault prevention messages, and turning communities against you in the process because of the insistence on placing blame on nebulous entities instead of the actual perpetrators of sexual crimes.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: May 24, 2014, 10:49:08 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2014, 10:51:18 PM by Simfan34 »

I'm sorry to hear that. I applaud you for not committing mass murder, hang in there... what do you want us to say?

Meursault found it hard to believe someone could make it to their 20s without getting to third base, so I gave him an example of how that could happen.

I think he meant sex.

This is one of the more depressing things i've laid my eyes on.

"She even dated George Lucas for a short time."

"This girl who was my friend, Maddy Humpreys, would eventually come to represent everything I hate and despise; everything that is against me, and everything that I’m against"

" Little did I know, this injustice was very small indeed compared to all the things I’ll be denied in the future because of my height."

"I still hated him for the fact that he was able to witness how lonely and miserable my life was."

"I didn't win [the lottery]. I looked at my ticket over and over again, and then at the winning numbers. No match. It was just like what happened in March, except this was worse because I had built up anticipation for the entire summer. The winner was some guy from Riverside. He took MY money. What a waste. What an injustice. I was so certain that the universe would finally grant me salvation after a life of torture and suffering. I then looked at my small, cramped room and realized that my lonely, depressing life of virginity will continue on mercilessly."

" I had the knowledge, in the back of my mind, that the Day of Retribution was very possible now [because I didn't win the lottery]."

"On Halloween weekend, I made the wise decision to go home to my mother’s house.There was no way I was going to torture myself by staying alone in my room while the entire town of Isla Vista erupted in raucous debauchery. All of the tall, hunky jocks that girls love so much will be having all of the sex and all of the fun, while an unwanted outcast like myself would rot in loneliness."

"I imagined that some attractive guys who only visited Isla Vista for the Halloween event will be getting laid that weekend. They’d be getting sex from just one night in Isla Vista, while I’m still a virgin after living there for over a year. It was too unfair."

"I will never be a creator, but I could be a destroyer. Life had been cruel to me. The human species had rejected me all my life, despite the fact that I am the ideal, magnificent gentleman."

"I drank some of my mother’s delicious wine until I was too buzzed to think about how much fun everyone else my age was having on that night"

"That guy was in heaven. I can only imagine how amazing it must be to have sex with a girl like that. I had to witness everything I wanted but could not have. It made me feel dizzy with anguish. I immediately thought about that couple, and how impossible it was for me to have the same experience as that guy. Impossible, as I was at that point. But it would be possible for me to get a tall, blonde, sexy girlfriend if I was a multi-millionaire! Oh yes, it would be very possible. Becoming a multi-millionaire is the ONLY way I could have such an experience, and winning the lottery was the ONLY way I could become a multi-millionaire at my age. As I stared at the Powerball jackpot that was over $500 million, I knew that I HAD to win it."

"As the phrase that I had coined goes: If I cannot join them, I will rise above them; and if I cannot rise above them, I will destroy them."

"Now she was my enemy. I would take great delight in torturing and flaying her and every single one of her spoiled, obnoxious evil friends. When she and her mother came to eat dinner with us, I had to keep calm as I hobbled out of my room on my crutches to greet them."

"To make me feel more confident, my mother provided me with a better car to drive in Santa Barbara, a BMW 3 series Coupe. I had always wanted this, since I cared a lot about my appearance. I had been asking my parents for a more upper-class car ever since I found out that there was a car hierarchy, and that some students at my college drove better cars than others. Now I was one of the students with a better, high-class car"

"That was the day that I decided I would have to kill [my brother] on the Day of Retribution. I will not allow the boy to surpass me at everything, to live the life I’ve always wanted. It’s not fair that he has the chance to have a pleasurable life while I’ve been denied it. It will be a hard thing to do, because I had really bonded with my little brother in the last year, and he respected and looked up to me. But I would have to do it. If I can’t live a pleasurable life, then neither will he! I will not let him put my legacy to shame. In order to kill [him] I would have to kill Soumaya [my sister] too,"
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: May 24, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »

yeah this is actually a pretty perfect example of rape culture for those arguing that it doesn't exist.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: May 24, 2014, 10:52:23 PM »

also

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2014, 10:53:32 PM »

Well here we have probably the worst Atlas thread of 2014 so far on par with the Sandra Fluke threads, though there's still plenty of time remaining in the year for krazen or Snowstalker to potentially top it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

Considering what an atrocity this is it's difficult for this thread to not be atrocious.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2014, 11:01:29 PM »

Case in point

"The worst part of this whole ordeal was not getting beaten up, oh no. It was the fact that no one showed any concern. There was only one group who helped me to the end of Del Playa, but after that they abandoned me. Not one girl offered to help me as I stumbled home with a broken leg, beaten and bloody. If girls had been attracted to me, they would have offered to walk me to my room and take care of me. They would have even offered to sleep with me to make me feel better. But no, not one girl showed an ounce of concern for me. They didn’t care. No one cared about me. I was all alone."
Meursault
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2014, 11:16:29 PM »

Was it one of my posts you found objectionable, Sanchez?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »
« Edited: May 24, 2014, 11:23:21 PM by Simfan34 »

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2014, 11:25:41 PM »

On the whole, I'd much rather run into Aileen Wuornos than this guy.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »

Why didn't this guy just hire a prostitute?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »

If sweet, innocent opebo were still here, he would be explaining to us how this could only ever happen in the anti-prostitution Bad Place. Sad
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2014, 11:31:51 PM »

If sweet, innocent opebo were still here, he would be explaining to us how this could only ever happen in the anti-prostitution Bad Place. Sad

I, at least, would rather have a random poster like Deus bring up the question and move on than a full-fledged opebo prostitution derail, is the thing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies