Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:12:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Gunman near UCSB kills 6 people, injures 7  (Read 14757 times)
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 25, 2014, 06:59:49 AM »

its scary that marokai is making so much sense in this thread. bizarro world we're living in now
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #101 on: May 25, 2014, 07:13:44 AM »

*posts on bodybuilding.com, is 5'9" and 135 lbs* I Am the suymbol of masculinity... the supreme gentleman... the super saiyan of swagger... how DARE you!!
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2014, 09:55:24 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 10:11:55 AM by Lіef »

Leave it to Daily Kos to jump on this as an example of "white privilege."

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/24/1301736/--The-True-Alpha-Male-Elliot-Rodger-and-Aggrieved-White-Male-Entitlement-Syndrome#

Never mind that Rodger was biracial. Then again so was George Zimmermann. I guess using a gun makes the white half cancel out the non-white half.

He was white:

Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #103 on: May 25, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 10:17:37 AM by Nhoj »

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/05/24/1301736/--The-True-Alpha-Male-Elliot-Rodger-and-Aggrieved-White-Male-Entitlement-Syndrome#

Never mind that Rodger was biracial. Then again so was George Zimmermann. I guess using a gun makes the white half cancel out the non-white half.

He was white:

Soumaya Akaaboune is not his mother.

Edit not to mention "When an "Arab" or "Muslim" American kills people in mass they are a "terrorist". " so for that articles writer being arab would make him non white.[
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2014, 10:43:51 AM »

His mother was Chinese.

Wait he was 5'9''? And going on about how short he was??
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2014, 10:59:47 AM »

He was white:

That's an ethnic if I've ever seen one.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #106 on: May 25, 2014, 12:31:42 PM »

Arabs are basically white.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #107 on: May 25, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »

Debateable. You could make that argument for Lebanese Arabs, but not so much for Arabs from further south (let's say, Egypt). Although, to be honest, the whole concept of 'whiteness' is rather nebulous in istelf.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2014, 01:39:49 PM »

Just another mentally-ill kid with a gun, which has been illegal since 1968.

This guy's situation is a bit more intriguing because he's not complaining about obscure political nonsense or wayward ideological tenets. Instead, he's reacting disproportionately and violently to things that everyone complains about. Complaining about sane subject-matter doesn't make him sane. At the very least, he had severe emotional problems.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

Anyone have a link to the Manifesto? This is a new form of ressentiment to me.

I only got about a page and a half in before I couldn't stand being in this guy's head any more. Don't say I didn't warn you.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow, I honestly felt empathy for this kid until I read this drivel. What a piece of work.

You felt empathy for an ultra-misogynist who killed a bunch of people because he couldn't get laid until you realised he was also a racist? Huh
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2014, 02:06:31 PM »

Yeah, empathy exists precisely NOT for this kind of people.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2014, 02:21:26 PM »

Just another mentally-ill kid with a gun, which has been illegal since 1968.

And yet he bought the guns legally.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2014, 03:04:15 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 03:06:48 PM by Less-Progressivism, More Realism »

Generally, empathy is best saved for the victims of violence (and their families of course), rather than the perpetrators.

Every day, many women will be the victims of violence-of all kinds-that is almost exclusively committed by men. Moreover, much of this violence is committed by men who the victims are quite  familiar with-friends, family members, loved ones.

Yeah, there are exceptions to that rule; this killer in Santa Barbara was one of them, indiscriminately shooting at women (and men) whom he didn't know. But, I find it curious that violence against women-committed against them solely for the simple fact that they are women-is such a controversial thing to talk about, when it is a reality that affects so much of the population. There's a real empathy gap here...

Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2014, 03:35:32 PM »

He wasn't Arab; the Arab woman was his stepmother. His father is a white Australian and his mother is of Malaysian-Chinese background. That makes him biracial.
illegaloperation

« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2014, 03:47:09 PM »

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but what happens this past Friday is absolutely devastating.

I have never thought that I would see two of my friends in body bags nor would there by a drive-by shooting right where I live.

Sure, out Isla Vista community is infamous for extravagant parties, but never anything like drive-by shootings.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2014, 03:49:45 PM »

I managed to resist the urge to click the links, but couldn't escape Simfan's quotes...

Holy sh*t. This might be the single most thoroughly evil person I've ever seen (historical figures aside). Asperger's has absolutely nothing to do with this, nor does virginity. What this guy needed is a moral compass, and the issue is that he was either unable to grasp the concept of good and evil, or nobody ever bothered to teach him. In all likelihood, his parents bear a good deal of responsibility.

For once, Antonio's expressed my sentiments perfectly, though I have to add that if this was a person with a mental illness beyond Asperger's (which I think is likely), he deserves empathy for that.

On a different note, this a thread that's missing opebo's presence desperately.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2014, 03:55:03 PM »

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but what happens this past Friday is absolutely devastating.

I have never thought that I would see two of my friends in body bags nor would there by a drive-by shooting right where I live.

Sure, out Isla Vista community is infamous for extravagant parties, but never anything like drive-by shootings.

So sorry for your losses. I hope that something-anything-good or decent can come out of the aftermath of this tragedy. Maybe that's naive; but whatever.

I also know some people who go to or went to UCSB (my older brother, for example-he graduated a few years ago though, but he lived in Isla Vista as is typical of many UCSB students). But no one I know was killed or injured.

Just senseless. Sad Again, sorry for your loss.

illegaloperation

« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2014, 04:06:21 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 04:08:26 PM by illegaloperation »

So sorry for your losses. I hope that something-anything-good or decent can come out of the aftermath of this tragedy. Maybe that's naive; but whatever.

I also know some people who go to or went to UCSB (my older brother, for example-he graduated a few years ago though, but he lived in Isla Vista as is typical of many UCSB students). But no one I know was killed or injured.

Just senseless. Sad Again, sorry for your loss.

That's fine.

I am not the crying type. Some of my friends used to joke that I probably don't have tear ducts, yet I broke down and cried.

Sadly, I don't think there's much that can be done since he obtained the firearms legally. That said, this man is mentally disturbed and his father has already reported on him prior to the incident.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2014, 04:16:05 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that this tragedy has affected your life. I'll be keeping you and your friends in my thoughts and prayers. I hope this type of evil never encroaches on the life of any member of this community ever again.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »

My condolences. Sad I know a few people who are going or have gone to UCSB and I can just imagine how horrified they must be right now.
illegaloperation

« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
« Edited: May 25, 2014, 05:34:06 PM by illegaloperation »

My condolences. Sad I know a few people who are going or have gone to UCSB and I can just imagine how horrified they must be right now.

Well, it's not so much that we are horrified (we are not); it's that the sense of safety in our community has been shaken.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »

Not surprising. We don't enforce the gun laws on the books. We write new laws that don't fix the problem.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2014, 05:28:51 PM »

Not surprising. We don't enforce the gun laws on the books. We write new laws that don't fix the problem.

Keep in mind that I say the following as a supporter of the right to bear arms.

Since as far as I am aware, no existing gun law was broken before he went on his shooting spree.  Nor were such laws broken in the case of Newtown.  So bringing out the canard that we need to enforce the existing laws before even daring to consider anything else is really really not helpful.  Now if you actually have something to say that pertains to this particular incident, please do so.  However, the enforce meme exists only to delay doing anything, and not just with gun issues.  So unless you have something relevant to say, either shut up or go on Fox News.
AggregateDemand
United States

« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2014, 06:06:36 PM »

Since as far as I am aware, no existing gun law was broken before he went on his shooting spree.  Nor were such laws broken in the case of Newtown.  So bringing out the canard that we need to enforce the existing laws before even daring to consider anything else is really really not helpful.  Now if you actually have something to say that pertains to this particular incident, please do so.  However, the enforce meme exists only to delay doing anything, and not just with gun issues.  So unless you have something relevant to say, either shut up or go on Fox News.

It is illegal for mentally-ill individuals to purchase firearms. This individual is clearly mentally ill. Therefore, we are not enforcing the laws we have on the books, and this is basically Jared Loughner Part II, though, we do not have a failed military psyche evaluation on Rodgers record.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2014, 06:36:52 PM »

It is illegal for mentally-ill individuals to purchase firearms. This individual is clearly mentally ill. Therefore, we are not enforcing the laws we have on the books, and this is basically Jared Loughner Part II, though, we do not have a failed military psyche evaluation on Rodgers record.

People who are crazy generally don't realize it, so it is not as if he was intentionally breaking that law, and even if he was, there is no way that existing law however stringently enforced would be able to make people self-diagnose.  Apparently his doctors didn't consider him dangerous enough to warrant entering his name into the relevant database.  That the existing law did not prevent him from acquiring a gun suggests that access to guns needs to be more generally limited.  Do you propose having everyone who wants to buy a gun first go through a mental health exam and be proven to be 100% sane?  Shall we also require a new exam each time someone buys ammunition or another gun?  How about certificates from a psychiatrist to be allowed to attend a gun show?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies