If Hillary Clinton picks a woman or someone old for VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  If Hillary Clinton picks a woman or someone old for VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Hillary Clinton picks a woman or someone old for VP  (Read 1020 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 24, 2014, 03:16:35 PM »

My guess has been that Hillary Clinton's running mate will not be someone who is elderly and it will not be a woman. There is some disagreement about whether that would be disadvantage.

That got me thinking. In two years, if Hillary Clinton announces that her running mate is Steve Beshear, or Amy Klobuchar, or Elizabeth Warren, will it make any difference? Will it result in a new vulnerability for Hillary Clinton? Or will the overwhelming majority of swing voters (and those who might stay home) make their decisions on other matters?
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 03:27:56 PM »

As of now, I think she'll pick a "young" male.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »

My guess has been that Hillary Clinton's running mate will not be someone who is elderly and it will not be a woman. There is some disagreement about whether that would be disadvantage.

That got me thinking. In two years, if Hillary Clinton announces that her running mate is Steve Beshear, or Amy Klobuchar, or Elizabeth Warren, will it make any difference? Will it result in a new vulnerability for Hillary Clinton? Or will the overwhelming majority of swing voters (and those who might stay home) make their decisions on other matters?
I doubt it would make any difference. The VP candidate would only make a difference if he/she shows that they are unqualified or unprepared, or does not sit well with the base.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

Probably. Although that's mainly due to the talent pool (Tim Kaine, Julian Castro, Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Steve Bullock, Martin Heinrich, Anthony Foxx, Xavier Becerra, etc.) and the fact that she doesn't need a female running mate to create a historic ticket, or an older running mate to add some gravitas.

But what if she concludes that Kay Hagan, Angus King, Tom Udall, Heidi Heitkamp, John Hickenlooper or Claire McCaskill would be the best Veep?

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:18:18 PM »

Probably. Although that's mainly due to the talent pool (Tim Kaine, Julian Castro, Michael Bennet, Cory Booker, Steve Bullock, Martin Heinrich, Anthony Foxx, Xavier Becerra, etc.) and the fact that she doesn't need a female running mate to create a historic ticket, or an older running mate to add some gravitas.

But what if she concludes that Kay Hagan, Angus King, Tom Udall, Heidi Heitkamp, John Hickenlooper or Claire McCaskill would be the best Veep?

I think it would hurt her, yes. Enough to lose the election? Probably not, but that all depends on who she picks and who she is going up against.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:43:10 PM »

Hillary's gonna lose the election anyway, so it doesn't matter.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:52:41 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if Hilary picks a woman as her running mate.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »

It would make no difference
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 03:17:02 PM »

VPs don't matter unless they're clearly terrible e.g. Sarah Palin, Dan Quayle. 

And, no serious person can be offended by the lack of gender balance on a female-female ticket unless they were upset about the overwhelming number of male-male tickets.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »

And, no serious person can be offended by the lack of gender balance on a female-female ticket unless they were upset about the overwhelming number of male-male tickets.

You're assuming the people who would be (in some cases subconsciously) put off about a female-female ticket would have the self awareness to see they had no problem with the hundreds of male-male tickets.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies