Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:13:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Labor Party Spring 2014 Convention - New Orleans, LA  (Read 22938 times)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« on: May 25, 2014, 11:38:54 AM »

x TNF

Welcome comrades! If you would like to assist in the drafting of the Labor Party platform, please contact me via PM.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 03:48:03 PM »

IDS SENATE:

[ X ] Maxwell (Democratic-Republican)
[  ] North Carolina Yankee (Federalist)

MIDEAST SENATE:

[  ] Benconstine (The People's Party)
[ X ] DC Al Fine (Federalist)
[  ] MadmanMotley (Democratic-Republican)
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:35:36 AM »

San Francisco, home of the West Coast Longshoreman strike of the early 1930s.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »

I would also like to put Honolulu, Hawaii in consideration.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 01:56:14 PM »

Just reposting this here, but as Flo is seeking the Pacific Senate seat in spite of the fact that Labor has already endorsed Tyrion for the seat, I wanted to note that he is barred from holding or running for office in the Politburo, being endorsed by Labor, or accessing the Labor primaries for the next three federal elections.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 11:08:51 AM »

[ x ] San Francisco
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 11:19:36 AM »

I will be posting the revised platform at some point today, but I want to know if it is possible for us to revise the bylaws to prevent Labor from being used as a vehicle for election by certain persons, and then being dropped the minute Labor is no longer convenient to that person. Flo has joined and left Labor twice now, and is now conducting a campaign against Tyrion, who has already been endorsed by the party. I think that, given his total blatant disregard for our party, it's rules, and it's structure, Flo should not in any future race be allowed to use our ballot line, but that's just me.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »

And here's the June 2014 Party Manifesto.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:03:28 AM »

I think we should have a discussion on the public ownership planks.

I understand the case for public ownership of the electrical grid, but I'm less aware of why nationalizing energy production would be a good idea, particularly as distributed generation (e.g. solar panels on the roof of a residence) becomes more prevalent.

I think that ownership of production capacity is good for a whole host of reasons. For one, we ensure a fairly stable supply of energy and likewise adjust supply and control a lot more easily without market mechanisms; beyond that, it also allows us to offer cheaper energy directly to the public, operating at a not for profit. With distributed generation, I think that we could, theoretically, produce the solar panels on rooftops and just give them away for free, which is again, something that the market can't and won't do.

Another thing I was thinking of, especially when it comes to Fossil Fuels, is that under a nationalized regime, we can entirely phase out usage over a period of time. I'm all for anything that will deprive the dirty energy capitalists of their ability to make a pretty penny driving the human race to extinction.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It depends on how you want it implemented. I would prefer that we nationalizing shipping, airlines, the automotive industry, etc. But I understand that at this juncture that's not very likely, and so I think it's reasonable to think that nationalization would mean acquiring bus lines, rail lines, etc.

For one, it would help us secure control over a vital industry that is rapidly shifting to production overseas. Making steel in Atlasia not only saves a lot of jobs, but it's also a good policy (imo) not to be entirely dependent upon production from elsewhere. We have too many steel mills and iron works that are shuttered; obviously with technological improvements we wouldn't want to bring all of those back online for the sake of bringing them all back online, but in my vision of this, acquiring the property of the steel and iron sectors would allow us to implement a plan that increases steel and iron production (and divorces us from reliance on foreign steel and iron) and also allows us to use whatever excess capacity remains to build other useful products, by converting those old mills and works into new facilities.

Part of the reason I threw that on was because I feel a need to provide something for those in rural areas who have little access to alternative means of transportation. If we can come up with an alternative to it, by all means, let's do it. I am just concerned that those who live in rural areas still don't have any options when it comes to transportation that are safe, reliable, and cost-effective.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 02:44:48 PM »

Another thing that might be worth adding to the platform: a position on group marriages. The Northeast became the first Region to legalize polyamorous marriages and I for one hope they will not be the last. Should the federal Labor Party take a position on such an issue?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 10:35:35 AM »

I will seek another term as Vice Chairman of the Labor Party.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »

Aye

The platform is the same thing from last time, people.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2014, 12:11:07 PM »

As I'll be out for possibly until Sunday, I would ask that debate on the platform continue in the interim. I'll return to offer my thoughts when I can, but I would also like to ask that we postpone a vote on any changes until we can conclude that debate and I can make those adjustments in the document itself.

As usual, I would also ask all those who oppose the platform itself to be involved in the drafting process. The reason things like this happen is primarily that no one but me ever volunteers to write the platform or even help in the drafting of it. If you want a vibrant debate on the platform that reflects the whole spectrum of belief within our party, you have to participate in the drafting of that program. Only one person, Nix, contacted me personally about the platform during the drafting process. This is unacceptable, and I would encourage everyone to get more involved in the day-to-day running of our party. Adam Griffin and I can't do it all.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2014, 02:14:42 PM »

Chair: Adam Griffin
VC: TNF
G-S: Barnes
A-A-L: Bacon King

I'm back, and I'm ready to continue debate on the platform. I have some ideas on game reform, which I'll try and post either tonight after work or tomorrow morning. It's good to be back, comrades. Smiley
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 09:33:58 AM »

Some thoughts on the platform...

Game reform: I would like to see us move to a parliamentary style game that embraces semi-presidentialism. I think we should establish a Prime Minister position and a Leader of the Opposition, with full partisan control of the legislature. I'm not entirely fond of the idea of bicameralism; I would simply prefer to increase the number of Senators elected at-large and change that system to one that is elected by party-list PR, if at all possible.

Nationalization: Perhaps rather than calling for state ownership, we could embrace "social ownership" of the means of production in a given industry? Basically instead of having the SoIA run the thing, we could make it decentralized; in the energy department, establish a socially owned energy authority owned and administered by a combination of those it serves, those who work for it, and the communities that rely upon it. Basically a kind of tripartite structure that is decentralized and promotes a degree of internal democracy.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »

Customers and the communities in which they are located, essentially.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:39 AM »

The section that seems to be most contested is the nationalization one. I'm prepared to open up a vote on that, but what other sections does the party wish to hold a vote on, before I proceed to it?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 07:49:06 AM »

Sorry for a lull in posting from me here. I concur with TNF that nationalization is obviously the most contentious issue here.

With regard to the game reform section, how do you want to settle the matter, TNF?

I was planning on offering a few options, maybe something like this:

Quote from: Restricted
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2014, 08:23:16 AM »

A series of votes are now open on changes to the platform. You have 24 hours to cast your ballot. Upon tallying the votes, I will make the necessary changes and present the edited document for your approval.

Should the Labor Party platform include an executive summary of the contents inside prior to the body of the document?
Select only one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Industry section of the platform as is currently written?
Select only one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

If you answered 'no', what changes would you like to see made?
Select all that apply.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of power and fuel companies.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for nationalization of power and fuel companies. (This essentially means that you support the idea of power and fuel company nationalization, you just want to see the plank re-written in the interests of coming to a consensus within the party as to what that means, exactly)
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of transportation.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for nationalization of transportation.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of iron and steel.
[  ] Clarification of the plank calling for nationalization of iron and steel.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for federal chartering of corporations.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for federal chartering of corporations.
[  ] Removal of the 'Policy for Exports' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Policy for Exports' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Production for use' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Production for use' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Modernize collective bargaining' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Modernize collective bargaining' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Industrial democracy' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Industrial democracy' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Promote cooperative industry' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Promote cooperative industry' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Streamline the state' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Streamline the state' plank.

Do you support the Agriculture section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Type all suggestions below.

Do you support the Housing section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Education and Leisure section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Health and Children section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Social Insurance section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Peace section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the addition of a section to the platform concerning Game Reform?
Select one option.
[  ] Yes
[  ] No

If you answered 'yes', what would you like it to call for?
Select all that apply.
[  ] Bicameral federal legislature.
[  ] Open party-list proportional representation.
[  ] Closed party-list proportional representation.
[  ] Mixed member proportional representation.
[  ] FPTP
[  ] Referendums at the federal level.
[  ] Single thread, SoFE administered referendums for the approval of all constitutional amendments.
[  ] Selection of a percentage of officeholders by lot rather than election.
[  ] Write-in: _______________________________________________
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »

Should the Labor Party platform include an executive summary of the contents inside prior to the body of the document?
Select only one option.
[x ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Industry section of the platform as is currently written?
Select only one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Select all that apply.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of power and fuel companies.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for nationalization of power and fuel companies. (This essentially means that you support the idea of power and fuel company nationalization, you just want to see the plank re-written in the interests of coming to a consensus within the party as to what that means, exactly)
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of transportation.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for nationalization of transportation.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for nationalization of iron and steel.
[  ] Clarification of the plank calling for nationalization of iron and steel.
[  ] Removal of the plank calling for federal chartering of corporations.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the plank calling for federal chartering of corporations.
[  ] Removal of the 'Policy for Exports' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Policy for Exports' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Production for use' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Production for use' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Modernize collective bargaining' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Modernize collective bargaining' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Industrial democracy' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Industrial democracy' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Promote cooperative industry' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Promote cooperative industry' plank.
[  ] Removal of the 'Streamline the state' plank.
[  ] Clarification or modification of the 'Streamline the state' plank.

Do you support the Agriculture section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Housing section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Education and Leisure section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Health and Children section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Social Insurance section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the Peace section of the platform as is currently written?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

Do you support the addition of a section to the platform concerning Game Reform?
Select one option.
[x  ] Yes
[  ] No

If you answered 'yes', what would you like it to call for?
Select all that apply.
[  ] Bicameral federal legislature.
[  ] Open party-list proportional representation.
[x  ] Closed party-list proportional representation.
[  ] Mixed member proportional representation.
[  ] FPTP
[x  ] Referendums at the federal level.
[x  ] Single thread, SoFE administered referendums for the approval of all constitutional amendments.
[x  ] Selection of a percentage of officeholders by lot rather than election.
[  ] Write-in: _______________________________________________
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 08:34:34 PM »

As per the request of Nix and Cynic, the vote period has been extended from the 24 hours initially proclaimed to 72 hours.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

Oh sh**t. Sorry guys, I totally forgot about this while I was out of town. I'll tally the votes and present the amendment platform tonight.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »

Make that tonight. Sorry for the delay on this, it's just a pretty big document to wade through and make changes on. I will go ahead and release the results of the vote, though:

With 10 out of 10 votes, an executive summary is approved and will be added to the platform.
With 7-3 votes opposed, the industry section shall be revised. The planks calling for the nationalization of iron and steel and transportation, as well as the production for use plank, will be removed, as a majority of voters wish. No additional changes will be made, because no proposition for modification or clarification won majority support of 'no' voters.
With 6-4 votes opposed, the agricultural section shall be revised. I will compile the suggestions and revise accordingly.
With 6-4 votes in favor, the housing section is adopted as is.
Likewise, the Education/Leisure, Health/Children, Social Insurance, and Peace sections are all adopted as is, with majorities in support of each.
The game reform plank also passes unanimously, although the only provisions that garnered majority support are those calling for national referendums to adopt constitutional amendments and federal referendums.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 10:12:39 AM »

Revised platform.

I'm calling for a 24 hour vote on approving it, effective immediately. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain on the revised platform.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2014, 10:14:58 AM »

Aye
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies