SENATE BILL: Job Guarantee Act of 2014 (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:46:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Job Guarantee Act of 2014 (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Job Guarantee Act of 2014 (Failed)  (Read 1319 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2014, 08:12:29 PM »
« edited: June 02, 2014, 07:36:38 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: TNF
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 08:12:56 PM »

Okay, what is this Senator?
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

This is a bill to once and for all end unemployment in Atlasia. It guarantees everyone the right to a job, and gives Regional governments discretion in how they spend the money accorded to them to make full employment a reality.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:50:25 PM »

This is a bill to once and for all end unemployment in Atlasia. It guarantees everyone the right to a job, and gives Regional governments discretion in how they spend the money accorded to them to make full employment a reality.

Except for the 3%, of course.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:10:33 PM »

I just have a question
Why 3%, and not 4%, 5%?...

I mean, there will always people who will be unemployed, the time they get a new job: there is always a period  of unemployment, 1 month, 2 month, 3month,...
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 03:48:05 PM »

He did say full employment.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 03:55:19 PM »

Where does it say that in the bill (not arguing we should change it, of course, full employment might be a bit of a tricky situation)?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 04:55:33 PM »

Where does it say that in the bill (not arguing we should change it, of course, full employment might be a bit of a tricky situation)?

A "job guarantee" would imply that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »

I still don't see any unemployment number but the 3% figure in the bill. I could create, say, a Bureau of Fiscal Responsibility, stock it with my close friends, and steal all the money (which I 110% did not do in the Northeast I swear).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2014, 05:08:46 PM »

I still don't see any unemployment number but the 3% figure in the bill. I could create, say, a Bureau of Fiscal Responsibility, stock it with my close friends, and steal all the money (which I 110% did not do in the Northeast I swear).

You're right, that's probably a pretty good comparison to what's going on in this bill.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 05:38:25 PM »

You're right, that's probably a pretty good comparison to what's going on in this bill.

I do like to think I'm friends with the poor and downtrodden.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »

3% unemployment is generally agreed upon by economists as being "full employment."
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:33:37 AM »

What is the definition of "meaningful work" here?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:08 PM »

Ah, how Stalin-esque Wink
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 01:04:17 AM »

What is the current federal minimum wage? I can't remember if we dropped it last year, or if that was just an amendment that allowed each region to lower the minimum wage to a certain point.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 01:08:28 AM »

What is the current federal minimum wage? I can't remember if we dropped it last year, or if that was just an amendment that allowed each region to lower the minimum wage to a certain point.

$12.50
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 01:11:26 AM »

$12.50

So neither of us are GMs anymore, but have you tried estimating what this would cost? I don't see us getting out for under a half-trillion annually under the current proposal (assuming a long-term average of around 12,000,000 people being guaranteed a job).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2014, 01:32:40 AM »

$12.50

So neither of us are GMs anymore, but have you tried estimating what this would cost? I don't see us getting out for under a half-trillion annually under the current proposal (assuming a long-term average of around 12,000,000 people being guaranteed a job).

Each job would be $30K/yr or so, but I don't know how many jobs we are supposed to provide, I'm having trouble imagining how this is supposed to work.  Will the government's proportion of the labor market keep expanding as it attempts to guarantee a good job for every person, and taxes the private sector in order to do it?   Also we'd need to consider the amount of capital investment to provide this meaningful work, whatever it is.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:31 AM »

$12.50

Each job would be $30K/yr or so, but I don't know how many jobs we are supposed to provide, I'm having trouble imagining how this is supposed to work.  Will the government's proportion of the labor market keep expanding as it attempts to guarantee a good job for every person, and taxes the private sector in order to do it?   Also we'd need to consider the amount of capital investment to provide this meaningful work, whatever it is.

My calculations had it closer to $50k (the proposal states that it's a minimum of $22.50/hr), assuming full-time employment. And yes, these are obviously just labor costs.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2014, 10:11:17 AM »

What is the definition of "meaningful work" here?

That would be left up to the Region in question to decide.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2014, 10:50:01 AM »

$12.50

My calculations had it closer to $50k (the proposal states that it's a minimum of $22.50/hr), assuming full-time employment. And yes, these are obviously just labor costs.

Our labor laws strongly disincentivize employment above 32 hrs/week, so more like $40k.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2014, 07:58:58 PM »

$480,000,000,000 at $40,000 each

I could put it in maroon if you prefer, no extra charge. Tongue
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2014, 12:40:16 PM »

Sounds fairly reasonable to me. Any funds we need to raise for the program can be raised by taxing the hell out of the parasites at the top, or alternatively by taking over the banking industry and having full democratic control over our currency, thus printing what we need when we need it to satisfy our needs.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »

We already can print however much we need, the problem is that you cannot force people to take it as the same value afterwards. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2014, 08:57:49 PM »

Seriously? I could spend quite a good amount of time attacking the Senator for that use of language (parasites?), but I feel I have to ask to the Senate as whole: Are we really going to spend almost 500 billion on this? Our entire budget is like 3.500 billion, and we are already spending 1.000 Billion in the Health Care mess alone.

I for one am not willing to destroy the banking system and sacrifice our economy for the sake of such an impractical bill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies