what does the red mean?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:41:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  what does the red mean?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: what does the red mean?  (Read 671 times)
v0031
China
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:52:32 AM »

Not many Brazilians speak English, particularly outside Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo.
They've seen all the American movies and know all the Adele songs, but the premium has traditionally been on getting a good education in Portuguese, still difficult in a land where education is far down the list of priorities.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »

It means that they do not place education as high as a priority.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:05:36 PM »

It means that they have more important issues to deal with than education.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:05:57 PM »

It's hard to get an education in Brazil because they don't care about it as much as they care about other things.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 05:27:40 PM »

It's hard to get an education in Brazil because they don't care about it as much as they care about other things.

That's not necessarily what it means.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 05:37:04 PM »

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means.
v0031
China
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

What is difficult?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »

It is difficult to educate when education is a lower priority.
v0031
China
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 02:42:14 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 08:02:31 AM by v0031 »

It is difficult to educate when education is a lower priority.

Thanks. Then could you say the whole passage in easy English?
Can I put it like this?

Not many Brazilians speak English, particularly outside Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo.
They've seen all the American movies and know all the Adele songs, but the premium has traditionally been on getting a good education in Portuguese, the premium is still difficult in a land where education is far down the list of priorities.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »

Premium seems like an odd choice of word. And I am pretty sure that the final clause is referring to English instead of Portuguese.

I think a simpler version should look:

"Not many Brazilians speak English, particularly outside Rio de Janeiro or Sao Paulo.
Even though they've seen all the American movies and know all the Adele songs, the focus has traditionally been on getting a good education in Portuguese, making learning English still difficult in a land where education is far down the list of priorities. "
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 01:19:25 PM »
« Edited: May 27, 2014, 01:22:32 PM by Hifly »

If you are only "pretty sure" then it's inappropriate to speculate, and you have in fact got it wrong. We can only conclude that getting a good education (in Portuguese) is difficult in Brazil because it is not a major state priority in comparison with other issues from what was provided in that paragraph. We cannot conclude from that paragraph that getting an education itself is difficult, which is what your answer expresses.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »

If you are only "pretty sure" then it's inappropriate to speculate, and you have in fact got it wrong. We can only conclude that getting a good education (in Portuguese) is difficult in Brazil because it is not a major state priority in comparison with other issues from what was provided in that paragraph. We cannot conclude from that paragraph that getting an education itself is difficult, which is what your answer expresses.

Well when the entire point trying to be expressed (at least from these two sentences) that English is not widespread in Brazil, that my assumption that the last clause is referring learning English seems like a safe bet. And mine expresses no such thing, only that getting a good English education is difficult when education as a whole has a lower priority in that society.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 05:59:35 PM »

I don't entirely agree with your interpretation either I'm afraid, but it's almost correct. While we can certainly infer from the paragraph that getting a good English education in Brazil is a rarity, the main testable conclusion we can make is that getting a good education in Portuguese is difficult in a nation where education is not regarded as a priority by the state. Then from this we can respond to what appears to be the underlying message; Receiving a good education in the English language is a rarity. However, again we can only infer this because we know that receiving a good education in Portuguese is still difficult and that is apparently the emphasis in the country.
v0031
China
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 07:08:27 PM »

Thank you all. The God damn passage is from CNN.
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/04/travel/brazil-10-things/index.html
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies